Help with setting up a Legal Miami Beach Vacation Rental

Help with setting up a Legal Miami Beach Vacation Rental

Investor · Helotes, TX · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 0 votes

Hi All,

Many thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help with this question.  I have purchased a vacation rental in Miami Beach and have heard that the city of Miami Beach is cracking down on unlicensed rental properties.  I have heard that they have upped the fine for first time offenders to $20,000.  Because I intend to list my rental on Airbnb, I want to make sure that I am complying with all local and state laws.  However, it has been very confusing to me to try and determine exactly what I need to do and in what order.  So far, what I have done is:

1) Applied for a Miami Beach Resort License - This was denied apparently because I had not applied for a certificate of use license

2) Applied for a State of Florida Tax Registration - This was accepted

3) Applied for a Miami Beach Certificate of Use/Business Tax Application - Waiting for word back

4) Applied for a State Vacation Rental License (DBPR-HR-7028) - Waiting for word back

5) I still need to apply for a balcony inspection license (DBPR-HR-7020) - I'm trying to find a balcony inspector... I'm hoping that a structural engineering company can come out and do it.

My question is this:  Has anyone gone through this process?  If so, I would love to chat with you and ask you some questions around how you filled out the forms.  Also, did you have to do anything else?

Bottom line is that I am trying to do this by the book and wonder if anyone else has gone through this process.

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Helotes, TX · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Nick,

    Thanks for your response.  It has been kind of weird dealing with Miami Beach.  I applied for a Business License on 8/4 and still waiting to hear back from them on that.  I also applied to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation (form dbpr-hr-7028) and that application process says I also need a balcony inspection (form dbpr-hr-7020).  However, while I was still trying to arrange for a structural engineering firm to inspect the balcony, the 7028 was approved and I was issued the hotel use license.  I was thankful, but not sure why they didn't seem to care about the balcony inspection.  The bulk of my questions were around those two forms.  One remaining question that I had was related to the Miami Beach Resort Tax.  I am waiting on a Business License so that then I can apply for the Resort Tax.  Airbnb apparently collects and pays the resort tax for me.  Has that been your experience?  Since they collect and pay the resort tax, is there anything that I actually need to do other than just get the license?

    Thanks!

    Jerome

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.