Will lack of a bathtub turn off renters?

Will lack of a bathtub turn off renters?

Villanova, PA · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 1 vote
I have a property that I have under contract and one of the apartments was divided from another apartment. The bathroom is very small and awkward it would be a for sure turn-off to me if I was renting the place and I think many others would feel the same. I am thinking about getting rid of the bathtub and leaving just a shower to open up the space a bit, maybe add some storage and make it more visually appealing. Do you think the lack of a bathtub will turn off renters? Most people take a shower just because it's quicker and more convenient but many people like the "luxury" of being able to take a bath on a weekend or if they want to relax on an evening off. If they saw the before and after, they would for sure prefer no bathtub but they of course don't care about before and after. If it matters to them, they will just rent elsewhere. My question is am I limiting my rental pool too much by not having a bathtub?
0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Agent/Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2013 · 542 posts · 304 votes
10y

It's going to turn off some women and a lot of families with children, especially younger children.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 27 votes
    10y

    I would say in a place like you are describing, it won't have much of an impact. I have units that only have showers and they rent no slower than similar ones with a bathtub. It may be a turn off in a larger home where folks want to be able to spread out and therefore have different amenity expectations, but in a smaller apartment, I would doubt it would matter.

  • Agent/Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2013 · 542 posts · 304 votes
    10y

    It's going to turn off some women and a lot of families with children, especially younger children.

  • Rental Property Investor · Malvern, PA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 936 votes
    10y

    I agree with @Todd Plambeck.  It's not like it won't rent, but families with young children will be more inclined to pass on your offering.

    Jim.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    How large is the apartment? One bedroom, two bedroom, three bedroom?   That might determine the size of family (versus single person) who might rent your place.   

    For what it's worth I've lived in my house for 35+ years and have taken an actual bath (prefer a shower) maybe 5 times in all those years.

    Gail

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.