Shelf Ripped Out of Wall

Shelf Ripped Out of Wall

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 414 posts · 94 votes

The duplex I bought was a gut rehab with no shelving, so I installed it myself. The upstairs unit has a walk-in closet and I put a long shelf with a hanger bar on the two long sides and short shelves on the third size. I mounted them using those triangle brackets from Home Depot with 3 50lb anchors per bracket and 3 brackets per long shelf. All the shelves I did in both units are holding, but the one on my wife’s side was collapsed when we got home yesterday.

She has the side the door opens into. I hadn’t noticed this, but she had all of her million stupid little dresses on the stupid little velvet hangers all hanging on one side because she didn’t want the door to touch them for some reason. Better this happen with us than with a tenant when we move on though.

So I’m thinking I need to patch those holes and mount a shorter shelf so the door can open into the wall and not the shelf. Is it more difficult to patch holes this size? I patched and painted over some smaller stud holes and it looks decent, but these are a few inches in diameter. Was this preventable in how I mounted it (did I use the wrong size anchors or should I have used more brackets?) or did I go wrong in mounting a long shelf that the door would open into?

If I hire a contractor to do this, how much would it cost? I’m having an internal debate between continuing to try to do things myself versus hiring a contractor. I eventually want to own more properties and I don’t want to be a professional handyman. But at this point in time, my time isn’t worth that much money. But I also don’t have much time and could be studying for the broker exam or doing a million other things too. If I do it myself, I learn how to do things myself. If I hire a contractor, I become more experienced in dealing with contractors and it’ll probably be done better…

Before: http://tinypic.com/r/razx4j/9

After: http://tinypic.com/r/2e5o6d2/9

0Reply
207 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
9y

You need to hire a contractor.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Farmington, MI · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 69 votes
    9y

    Art Maydan

    Congratulations ! on you first investment.

    Check out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ihk9RGgVM

    Suggest you check out YouTube for any future DIY Home Improvement Projects.

    Good Luck

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    We had a similar issue, our closet even though we used strong anchors, and had installed on studs we found the closet braces would bow under weight and then the shelf above would bow. The wood closet pole would shift in the end caps and pop out. This was installed by a contractor and after second closet collapsed. 

    We took the whole shebang out did a stabilizer panel in the kind of off center used the white laminate finished shelving and put in a whole new closet organizer thing with a couple of more shelves.  Our clothes were to heavy and the span inside the closet was to long. We Used Metal closet rods and the end braces were thicker so the pole would stay well supported on the ends.

    I also heard a great tip and have used it forever,, don't put carpet in closets, use tile, easier to clean, and whatever you stack on the floor is stable, not cushioned by the carpet and will stay put. I've used a 12x12 self stick tile and looks clean and neat , the other tip is no matter what the room color is the closet interior is white, you can touch up scuffs but No one likes painting closets and this way it always looks neat. white walls, white floor tile and white shelves. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.