Roof leak- Tenant displaced in Cincinnati, OH

Roof leak- Tenant displaced in Cincinnati, OH

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 107 votes

I have a friend who is renting a duplex with another buddy of mine in Cincinnati, OH.  The room he is renting had a roof leak and he was displaced from staying in for 29 days.  The landlord was unresponsive at first about the water and damage it caused to the room.  Being a landlord myself I would have jumped on something like this right away.  Also being a landlord I probably should know the answer to this, but I do not.  The water issue has since returned and he is unable to stay in the room and the water damage this time has ruined some belongings of his.  Is there anything he can do as a tenant to get out of this lease?  Should he go ahead and start to escrow his rent?  Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

0Reply
10 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 146 votes
    9y

    Review the lease terms to see what it says. This would appear to be a case of constructive eviction.  If I were the tenant I would start taking pictures and video of everything.  

    For damages to the tenants belongings he may have to file in small claims depending on the value. 

    Depending on the location of the property the tenant could complain to the local building or Property Maintenance Division as well. 

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Tenants contents are protected by Renters Insurance and if you wrote a good lease, the lessor is held blameless for tenant's belongings.

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    The rent usually  would be abated for the time the tenant could not occupy the home, and typically if they have given written notice for the repairs and the landlord did not make the repairs in a timely fashion, then the tenant should put rent with the court registry. Please check the state statutes for further clarification 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Have  him call the city inspector, Have him document in writing to the owner the issue. I'd have him escrow his rent in the court if he wants to stay , otherwise I'd tell him to give notice. Take Photo's of it all.

    Or do both escrow rent to court and give notice.

    His renters insurance would cover damages, and he can try and collect from owner, I'd photograph and send him.

    Not fun and games if it's a repeat event.. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and guidance. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.