do you have to provide appliances to renters?

do you have to provide appliances to renters?

Largo, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 1 vote

I'm not a landlord yet, but just getting into the real estate market...

I'm in the Pinellas county florida area and have questions about renting.

Does the landlord have to supply appliances? stove/refrig?

thanks

Tom

0Reply
20 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff CopelandBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker 路 Tampa Bay/St Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y

    That's actually an interesting question. I don't believe there's anything that says you must.

    However... practically speaking, 99.9% of all tenants do not have their own appliances, and would be unlikely to rent a place that didn't include them.

    The only common exception is washer and dryer. Some landlords provide them, and some don't.

    Copeland Morgan LLC4.770 Reviews
  • Buy & Hold Owner 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y

    I've seen both sides of this question.  I provide them as my marketing advantage.

  • Investor 路 Downers Grove, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 1k+ posts 路 955 votes
    9y

    @Tom Cahill

    depends on your area, and your competition. 

    How do you find out? look online esp zillow and CL for other rental listings. If most of them have appliances, and yours don't, yours will probably not attract the more qualified tenants. 

  • Investor 路 Wendell, NC 路 Member since 2014 路 189 posts 路 54 votes
    9y

    I agree with @Jeff Copeland. It seems everyone is a little different, but the standard consensus is that you include appliances and make the tenant responsible for any damages to those, as you should specify in your lease.

    That way, if anything happens while they're in it that their fault, they pay for it. Standard maintenance is generally your responsibility.

  • Member since 2016 路 13k+ posts 路 12k+ votes
    9y

    AS noted it depends on your business area. The practice of your market will dictate what is and is not included. To be competitive you must include with the unit whatever  is considered standard for your area. 

  • Vendor 路 Safety Harbor, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 2 posts 路 1 vote
    9y

    We are renters in Pinellas county as of this summer. I don't even remember seeing rentals in this area without appliances. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire 路 Northeast, TN 路 Member since 2015 路 10k+ posts 路 16k+ votes
    9y

    Do you *have* to? Probably not. Should you? What do the other rentals in your area do? 

    We provide: range, fridge, dishwasher, central heat & air. All other appliances are on the tenant. We explicitly prohibit connected ice makers and garbage disposals, as these two features will cause more problems than all other appliance-related issues put together. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent 路 New Port Richey, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 37 posts 路 6 votes
    9y

    Tom

    You can (and should) read FL Statute Chapter 83 (Landlord-Tenant Act) for everything you need to know regarding landlord rights and responsiblitied (as well as tenant rights and responsibilities), however, her is a "clip" from that statute stating what landlords "must" provide. 

    The landlord is required to rent a dwelling that is fit to be lived in. It must have working plumbing, hot water and heating, be structurally sound and have reasonable security, including working and locking doors and windows, and it must be free of pests. The landlord must also comply with local health, building and safety codes. If the landlord has to make repairs to make the dwelling fit to live in, the landlord must pay.

    It says nothing about requiring landlords to provide appliances, however, it is common practice to provide the basic kitchen appliances (washer/dryer is an added bonus and can be removed if tenant doesn't need them). Doing this will keep you and your rental properties competitive in the market (as others have stated). 

    Hope this helps! Good luck and feel free to contact me should you need further assistance. 馃槉

    Nancy

  • Investor 路 Boyd, TX 路 Member since 2014 路 688 posts 路 467 votes
    9y

    Personally I provide a stove, fridge, and washer and dryer in all my properties. I also have built in microwave ovens in a few. This sets me apart from some of the competition since I aim for mid level families. I have learned that if I am turning a property where the last tenant had their own W/D to not move new ones in until I find out if the new tenant has their own though. 

    I have in the lease that the appliances are thereat the owner's convenience and I am not responsible for them. This gives me a few days to fix if needed, but I always fix or replace them if they are not damaged by the tenants. I have several spares in a storage building at my farm to do quick change outs.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent 路 Washington, D.C. 路 Member since 2012 路 17k+ posts 路 30k+ votes
    9y

    This is market specific. Throughout most of the northeast the landlord needs to provide these items. However there are markets in other parts of the country where the tenants provide their appliances. (I think usually washer/dryer)

  • Largo, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 1 vote
    9y

    thanks for the replies.....im new so I have a lot of questions

  • Largo, FL 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 1 vote
    9y

    what about govt dependent renters? will the fed/state/local provide their clients with appliances if the unit do not come with them? stove/frig/etc...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.