Tenants Parents Checking in

Tenants Parents Checking in

South Bend, IN · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 93 votes

Hey everyone,

I just had a tenants mother call me (1:00AM) concerned about her sons health as they live 9 hours away. Let's shorten the storyline to say he has had several open heart surgeries (although none recently) and they could not get ahold of him all day (which is not like him). His room mate is also on a business trip and he was supposed to go on the same trip. I told her to have the police drive by the house to check and see but they will not be able to get in. What are my obligations in this situation beyond being a good person? I plan to drive 2 hours tomorrow to let the police into the home? Is there a better option such as getting a locksmith? How do you recommend I handle the rest of the situation? I suspect I should not enter the house without the police. I think it is worth noting that the tenants are good tenants who do not complain frivolously and pay on time.

Thank you for any situational advice you could provide.

Aaron

0Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
9y

Legally you can do what Greg suggests, but it is morally wrong. Have a direct discussion with the tenant and there are three options, keep paying for it by himself, find a new roommate or move out. Let him know any of these options is acceptable, but make it clear the rent needs to continue to be paid on time if he stays. Yes, let him out of his lease and return all his security deposit. If you treat people like crap, then life will treat you like crap and one day you will be a bitter old man posting nasty things on internet forums.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Selkirk, NY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    If you are going to lose thousands because of lack of tenants in the winter, as you said, would it not be better to mitigate your damages by offering the remaining tenant to pay a reduced amount for two or three months rather than getting nothing at all?

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 93 votes
    9y

    @Russ Daniels The remaining tenant is qualified to on his own so there should be no problems paying the full amount. I just can't imagine he will want to stay, maybe I will be wrong though...

    @David Leffel Thanks for the positive attitude, it really helps to hear the positive side of things when something like this happens. I very much appreciate your comment. I also agree, I am sure the laws have evolved to encourage the landlord to do the right thing in these situations.

    @Bren Miller Yes it would be, however, I don't think that he wouldn't stay because of inability to afford the place. I imagine he won't stay because it would suck to live in the place where your best friend passed away. As mentioned above, he is fully qualified for this house on his own. 

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    9y

    @Aaron Linden

    How did you come to the conclusion the lease is now null and void out curiosity.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.