Tenant long list of requests- How do you respond?

Tenant long list of requests- How do you respond?

Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes

I just had a tenant move in the beginning of this month, and the tenant has sent a long list of requests:

1) Some of the blinds in the kitchen are broken and don't work.

2) The front door is difficult to open and lock.

3) One of the bathroom doors does not close correctly so it can't be locked.

4) Vanity cabinets in the bathrooms are rusted.

5) Light fixture for stairs is broken with loose glass falling out.

6) Replacing all lights with LED to lower electric bill.

7) Thermostat is broken with no hot air, only cold.

8) Plug for the vent/lights over the range is broken that needs to be replaced with wires hanging out so you get shocked when you plug it in.

9) The tub/shower for the master bath has no water coming out.

10) But, everything else is great!!!

The tenant has offered to either get them done himself (it sounds like he's already bought some new vanity cabinets), find a contractor that tenant used before for a quote, or I can take care of them. 

Which issues are serious that should be fixed, and which ones are trivial that I should ignore?

If its serious, I understand I have to fix it. But, I don't want to start a relationship with a tenant where I've emboldened them to be a PITA tenant who sends me lists of trivial issues. 

And, I find it strange that previous tenants didn't have these issues. If there's no water coming out of the tub/shower, I would have thought this is something the previous tenant would have complained about.

If the tenant is willing to do the work themselves, do you let them?

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · Pawtucket, RI · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 79 votes
9y

all the complaints are legitimate ones besides the led lights and some rust on cabinets, 

Assuming the issues do exist , if are handy I would fix them , I'm not sure if you even noticed them in the first place unless you're living there yourself, it cost me $50 to change all my bulbs to led (home depot) had a special running and a rusty vanity is an eyesore go see it yourself and decide 

Sometimes tenants are your eyes on the units of things you can not see because you don't live there

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 668 posts · 209 votes
    9y

    Are some of these items legit? You don't see a broken light fixture over the stairs with loose and broken glass? If you do, you ask if it should be fixed? Did the tenant break it during move-in? Repair it and bill him for it. Some things such as LED light bulbs or rust are easy to see as you walk through completing a move-in checklist. The answer is "I believe you were aware of that before you moved in, I'm sorry but that's how the apartment comes." Others, like a thermostat, might take some time and I give my tenants the benefit of the doubt for the first month. After that it's going to be on them for the repair cost. Tenant has no motivation to perform the repairs correctly other than maybe giving his friend a job. It's your property so you pick the contractor and approve his work before payment or do-it-yourself. God forbid the tenant gets hurt while patching up your unit. If all else fails, release him from the lease without penalty and tell him you hope he finds someplace else where he'll be happy. The bigger problem is... you don't see a broken door lock or loose wires hanging from a range? Really? Rentals are all about durability and ease of maintenance, perform a fire/safety inspection every three months and check things out. Perform some active listening as you walk and make a list. Get 'er done and sincerely wishing you good luck with your investment.

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Doors must open, close and lock correctly; broken light fixtures, especially with broken glass and dangling wires, must be fixed; plumbing, heat, A/C -- all systems must work properly.  You are ultimately responsible for providing a safe, habitable unit, so you or your representative should be inspecting it at each turnover to ensure that.  You are endangering your tenant as well as yourself by not fulfilling your requirements as a landlord.  LED lights and blinds are options (although I believe some states may require window treatments in place), and not sure about "rust" on cabinets but that sounds like it must be addressed as well.      

  • Aaron T.Pro Member
    Developer · Aguada, PR · Member since 2014 · 927 posts · 279 votes
    9y
    Do you walk the property with them? Do you provide a move in checklist and go through it all upon move in? If not, you may want to. This gives both the tenant and you a chance to address any concerns. Then most of these questions would not come up. If there is something broke, then you should fix it, but if it's a luxury item, then they can opt to do it themselves.
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Some of the list is cosmetic, but some of them are more safety issues, and you dont need anything to happen to the tenant and you get sued for negligence on repairing. Better to have done a thorough walk thru and taken care of these items prior to occupancy, this way there is nothing for the tenant to complain about. The rest of the items can be noted, and she wont be charged for these items after move out.

    I never let tenants do any work themselves, it almost never gets done correctly, AND you dont want them to get hurt climbing on a ladder and falling!

  • Real Estate Professional · Pawtucket, RI · Member since 2016 · 133 posts · 79 votes
    9y

    all the complaints are legitimate ones besides the led lights and some rust on cabinets, 

    Assuming the issues do exist , if are handy I would fix them , I'm not sure if you even noticed them in the first place unless you're living there yourself, it cost me $50 to change all my bulbs to led (home depot) had a special running and a rusty vanity is an eyesore go see it yourself and decide 

    Sometimes tenants are your eyes on the units of things you can not see because you don't live there

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I agree most should be fixed you need to walk the unit and look at each. As for no water you need to check if a shut off valve has been turned off or if you have to explain how to switch from tub fill to shower. Rust on vanity would be a cosmetic call. I would not change it out just because he said so judge for youself. Also the led I would say he can change at hiis own expense. I try to use them but it is not required.Don't start the tenancy by letting him do the work.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    I would do 1,2,3,5,7,8,9.

    #4 is not important but that is easy to sand and paint if you choose, #6 is his responsibility.

    As for your tenant doing any of the work I would inform himimmediatly that he is not to touch anything. Never allow tenants to do work unless you do not care about the outcome or the cost.

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 23 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

     The bigger problem is... you don't see a broken door lock or loose wires hanging from a range? Really? Rentals are all about durability and ease of maintenance, perform a fire/safety inspection every three months and check things out. 

    You go into the tenant's home every 3 months to check up on them, and your tenants are fine with that?

    The door doesn't have a broken lock. I know about the lock, and its futzy- you don't push the door all the way in and lock it. Instead, you push the door almost all the way in, and then you turn the lock to lock the door. It only takes a couple of tries to get the hang of it and  what every previous tenant had to do, but this tenant sounds like he wants a brand new door because of it.

    If I can lock the door, would you replace it with a brand new door then?

    And, because I know what the door lock is really like, it makes me really skeptical about all his other complaints with the way he exaggerated about the front door and the lock. Plus, I find it really strange that there all these issues- no water, no heat, falling glass- that the previous tenant never mentioned.

  • Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2016 · 668 posts · 209 votes
    9y

    I had a door like that, had to lift the door and turn the knob counterclockwise only at the same and it worked fine. But it was MY door. I could do with it what I wanted. If the knob came off in my hand I had only myself to blame. But... I never tolerated such a door in any motel or hotel I ever stayed at and if my friends had such a door I would offer to help them repair it. What you own and what you rent are different. Don't know if you need a new door but fix the lock so there's no learning curve involved.

    Tenants that have something to hide don't want to see you, but I want tenants who welcome my visit and appreciate that I care about where they live. I'm not judging how they live and I'm not checking up on them. Two or three days notice for a 20 minute with someone who wants to hear my problems and fix broken/loose stuff where I live? What's not to like? Give them a little coffee shop gift card and thank them for being a good tenant.

    Final thought and not to sound paranoid but remember that house fires happen every day. Those loose wires on the range create a spark and someone is trapped inside or the first responders are delayed going through a futzy door and now your property is on the 6 o'clock news. Interviews with friends and family reveal you knew about the problems, believed these were exaggerated issues and did nothing. The heirs and their lawyer and your own insurance company will make your life hell.

    Again, wishing you the best with this investment.

  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    9y

    Go through and fix them all one at a time. Maybe one every two weeks?  As long as you are showing effort it will go a long way for them.  

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I find it rather odd you'd ask opinion on what to fix.. I find the requests within reason and why the apartment wasn't checked in the first place for these items is a poor maintenance check list.

    Don't let the tenant fix anything, Just plain put on your work gloves and get it taken care of.

    Electrical issues, first, plumbing next first, and the rest is just as obvious as the tenant made it.

    Bulbs are not required to be changed out other than that I'd get it all completed ASAP.

  • St Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 575 posts · 408 votes
    9y

    @Josh L. You have received some good advice. Basically, most of these things are legitimate. LED bulbs are their issue and good luck to them. Rusted vanity would be a question of extent and appearance. Other than that they all look like regular maintenance to me. If you are a newer landlord you may not be used to this but at turnover it is relatively common for a variety of maintenance issues to be unearthed. You need to address them as landlord to keep the tenant happy and maintain the value of your property. The last thing you want is to find yourself the owner or a run down rental property due to your own neglect. Let the property run down hill and so will your tenant applicant pool.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    I would not replace the door or the lock. Adjust the door stop strip so the door closes allowing the bolt to line up.

    Everything needing fixing should be a simple repair/adjustment.  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    As for the door I have seen that happen when weather stripping is missing. If you can repair it to routinely work correctly then no you don't need to replace the door. I had to replace locks for one tenant not because they didn't work but because they were too hard for her to work. Sometimes you just have to do things to make tenants happier.

    keep in mind that the leaving tenant is not expecting to be rewarded for reporting issues, they expect to be charged for them so it is on you to be observant.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.