So, I'm currently renting, and this weekend the water pipes froze and burst, after getting it checked out, the problem is the property owner's responsibility, and it will require digging up the yard, and thousands of dollars of work. She says she's broke, and isn't going to fix the problem. Sh'e not willing to take out a loan or anything.
What do you guys think are my best options? Obviously staying isn't going to happen, unless this is fixed, especially since I think the law requires potable water access to even reside in this home. I'm already looking into moving, but that's going to be a nightmare due to my bad credit, and fixed income. section 8 waiting lists take years, etc.. I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had any advice. Oh, I'm currently in colorado, but looking to relocate just about anywhere i can make work right now. My income is ssdi so I'm not tied to a job.
Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
9y
Out of the box idea. If she can't afford to fix it, she can't afford to keep it. Find an investor on here in Pueblo and have them contact her. I know if you were in Raleigh I'd already be sending you a PM for the address so I can get in touch with the owner.
Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 736 posts · 582 votes
9y
@Account Closed there are a ton of homes in the Pueblo Market in the $20k or $30k range with some really decent homes in the $30 - $50k range. Any chance you can dip into your wife's line of credit temporarily and "pay cash" for a place until the disability payments catch up? You'd be able to pretty much own the house free and clear once the dust settles.
I'm also willing to bet that the leak can be temporarily fixed pretty easily. Dig a hole where the leak is and put a rubber coupling over it until it can be fixed appropriately. The pipe will burst again, but it's a temporary solution that buys you (and your landlord) time.