Is PM Responsible for Bursting Pipes?

Is PM Responsible for Bursting Pipes?

Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes

Hello,

I have a question about whether property manger is at least partially responsible for repair costs on bursting pipes due to heating being off after tenant abandoned the property.  The property manager for one of my rentals in Indy claims he is not responsible for that.

This is how it happened:  tenant stopped paying rent in November, 2016 after moving in 3 months later.  We filed eviction on Nov. 18.  My property manager confirmed to me they check the property on weekly basis to see if tenant moves out, if so, they will transfer utilities under their name and make sure heat is on to prevent pipes frozen.  

Tenant shut off utilities on Dec. 1 (I guess they moved out on or before that date).  Property manager changed the lock on or before Dec. 9, but didn't turn on heat until Dec. 17.  When my friend went to check the property, he found there are 4 places that the pipes burst.  I spent $500 to fix them.

The explanation that property manager provided is the gas company won't turn on gas without  electricity being on, and the power company didn't turn on electricity until mid December.  I asked him why it took so long, he said it's on them and he has email communication that they requested electricity to be on in early December.  When I asked him today to forward the email to me, he said he has done that in December and refused to resend it.  

I feel that even though the property manager requested electricity to be on in early December, they should have followed up with the power company if it was not on the next day (the power company "Indianapolis Power and Light Company" has been very responsive and always turned on electricity within 24 hours for my other properties).    

The property manager charges regular monthly management fees when the property is vacant, so I think they should be at least partially responsible for the cost of plumbing fix.

Please kindly share your thoughts or experience, really appreciate it.

0Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y

Let's see - a CA investor buying a property in the Mid-West because the numbers looked great on paper.  But, from paper to real life, the tenant skipped, the pipes froze, and now the numbers don't look so great... is that about the size of it? 

OK, here's the problem - it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks relative to your question. What's important is this: Are you willing to spend money to force the PM to pay for any of it (and likely fail), and if you are willing to spend money - how much are you willing to spend?

You see how this works now? 

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 708 votes
    9y

    Of course, we don't have both sides of the story, but given the limited info your provide, I'd say the PM should take (at least partial) responsibility for this.  

    The PM blaming the power company sounds bogus - I have dealt with many power companies and none of them ever turned power on or off via e-mail.  Now yours may be an exception (check with them, but I SERIOUSLY doubt it), so if the PM refers to an e-mail as proof that he requested power, then they are most likely full of it.  Naturally, that also explains why he doesn't want to re-send it....

    PS: It would be very unusual to take 20 days for the power to be turned on once properly requested - more typical is 24-48hours.  If the power company really did take that long, it would have been up to the PM to a.) inform you, and b.) put into action a mitigation plan

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Andrew S. Thanks for your prompt response.  I feel the same way because it shows some extent of neglect when the PM is managing my property.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Let's see - a CA investor buying a property in the Mid-West because the numbers looked great on paper.  But, from paper to real life, the tenant skipped, the pipes froze, and now the numbers don't look so great... is that about the size of it? 

    OK, here's the problem - it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks relative to your question. What's important is this: Are you willing to spend money to force the PM to pay for any of it (and likely fail), and if you are willing to spend money - how much are you willing to spend?

    You see how this works now? 

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 759 posts · 379 votes
    9y

    Of course @Ben Leybovich is right. I would take $500 as a cheap lesson learned and then assess how I really wanted to move forward with this property. I was expecting you to say much more than $500.

    Also what monthly management costs are they charging you when its vacant? Sounds like a good gig for them.

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Annie Li You're right that there's probably shared responsibility here.  But there's also the practical matter of right vs. legally enforceable vs. cost-effectively legally enforceable.  Try and figure out if there's some kind of win-win to salvage the situation/relationship/etc.  If you view "partially responsible" as 10% of the cost and they won't eat $50 to make you happy that says as much as anything else.  Ask the PM what they would think is a fair solution.  If the answer is "you're 100% completely responsible" then I'd start looking for a new PM (guessing you already started that).  I can't imagine that it's worth trying to recapture anything legally given you're out of state.    

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    9y

    unfortunately i think you will have to.  The deposit should account for the eviction and lost rent unless that was less and if they took 1 month rent it probably wont.  You should fire them for not screening well though that is their fault. 

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    9y

    maybe they should take a little.  They should have turned it on earlier.  They should have asked you to pay for the utilities after they were turned off and known they were off when they were there on the 9th.

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Annie Li If they (PM) can provide all the documentation; phone calls, emails, faxes etc... that show that they did in fact order the power to be turned back on, and the power company did not; WHY,  maybe the power company could be at fault. But if they dont have any paperwork or calls, etc...showing this, then I would ask them to help defray some of the costs, especially when they charge for the vacant property check. That is why you pay that fee, to Check the property when its vacant to avoid these types of issues

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Thanks for everyone's response.

    @Ben Leybovich Yes, I'm another CA investor with tons of money to throw around in mid-west market and being taken advantage of by local PMs, contractors and tenants.  Haha!  
    OK, I chose to live in Southern CA where I enjoy most but has very low return on REI, and I understand the risks, headaches and lower returns in reality than on paper to invest out of state. I get that so I'm not expecting 5 star price and service from any of the vendors. I am asking this question here because the amount I owe the PM is more than the amount they got paid so far, therefore, I have the basis for negotiation.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Zach Quick @Andrew Johnson We mutually agreed to terminate our PM contract after eviction is complete, which was before this pipe incident occurred, because I planned to do rent to own lease after eviction but this PM is not interested in anything like that.  His response on the pipes issue is basically "you're 100% completely responsible and I have nothing to do with it" before I even started to propose a solution.  He also said it would only cost him $25 to fix it, so $500 is unbelievable.  Now I'm not sure if I overpaid for the plumbing fix. :(

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Tim Jacob The screening was done by another PM which I terminated contract with after 3 months with them.  What that PM did will open your eyes and let you appreciate your current PM no matter who that is. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Kim Meredith Hampton The communication with this PM to ask him to provide anything at this point is almost impossible.  I won't even be able to get a correct letter from him to release him as the plaintiff for my property's damage hearing case now.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Annie Li Okay, well at least things make a little more sense about why the PM was being obstinate with communication, won't forward you emails, etc.  I couldn't figure out why the PM wouldn't at least eat some of the cost to keep you happy.  For what it's worth I don't think that your situation would have made any difference if you had your property in the mid-west or 30 minutes away from you.  You had a PM who had washed their hands of you as a client (not saying it was right) and was going to do the bare minimum that they were required to do.  Sure you might have been able to go over there to see the burst pipe but if you're not a plumber you wouldn't know if it was a $25 fix (what plumbing fix is $25?!??!?) or a $500 fix.  Okay, maybe you would know if it was a $25 fix but I would have no clue.  Nor would I have the time/inclination to sit around waiting for 3 plumbers to come around and give me a bid to fix the burst pipe.  

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Johnson Yes, $500 is like nothing comparing to what I've spent on property acquisitions and rehabs in Indy so far.  I do consider it as a lesson learnt but I don't mind spending a few minutes of my time trying to resolve this issue in a way that's fair to both the PM and me, which might be another valuable experience in my opinion.  This PM is already charging me higher maintenance fees ($375 for winterization, $125 for changing a lock, $40 for making a duplicate key, etc.), so I don't feel comfortable eating the whole cost by myself as a result of his negligence.    

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Several of my rentals are in La Puente. 

    Why on earth would you buy out of state?

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Rick H. Because I moved to southern CA just 2 years ago, by that time the housing price has gone way up in the area.  Also, I don't like to buy rentals in any tenant-friendly state.  

    After trying a few Indy PMs with no success, I have decided to manage all my properties by myself.  I have done rent to own on my low end properties successfully which won't need too much property management, and a local friend is helping me as the leasing agent and maintenance liaison for my nicer properties, so I'm confident 2017 will be a much better year for me on Indy market.     

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    9y

    I am a pm in maryland.  I understand sometimes they are hard to come by.  I recommend screening the pms thoroughly.  Just because they are from a large company with a nice website does not mean they are good.  If the area is a good area for cash flow it will probably be a c neighborhood or lower.  Screening is absolutely huge.  Make sure whomever you use has a stellar track record with that.  It is easier for someone to just accept the first person who wants to lease the space.  That way its less work for them.  Its harder and more time for them to reject a few bad ones before getting a good 1.  Ask others about the pm's screening disapproval percentage and you can get an accurate idea how good they are.  It can go the other way as well if they dissaprove just based on credit and dont look at other things they could dissaprove to many.  Either way they can hammer your vacancy rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Tim Jacob I agree that screening is critical, but it's not always a transparent process to investors how PMs do screenings.  Even though they do good screenings, there are other ways they can turn off a good applicant, like how flexible they are to schedule showings, if they have multiple ways to accept rent payments (one of my PMs only takes money orders in his office, no exceptions; another PM won't accept move in date other than the first day of each month for easy bookkeeping from his end), or if they charge ridiculous non-refundable pet deposit and pet fees, etc. 

    The bottom line is nobody cares about your properties as much as you do, and PMs can find a way to make decent profit on almost anything they do for you, especially the rehab part and maintenance part.     

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Tim Jacob -- In regards to your advice to Annie about screening PM's, any data supplied on their occupancy, retention, screening, etc. is always/already coming from them; i.e. not so good PM's can supply not so good data. I'm now to this game, how do you get around this data source problem?

    @Annie Li -- Wow, they charged you a winterization fee and then didn't pay for damage done to a clearly un-winterize unit?!?!? I just sue them on principle --but then, I maybe got more money than sense;-) 

    Ronn

  • Rental Property Investor · La Puente, CA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Ronn Johnstone In regards to winterization, it's not the same property.  Since we were in the process of evicting tenant, we didn't do winterization for this one. 

  • Tim JacobPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 520 posts · 379 votes
    9y

    at Annie Li any pm that is too lazy not to lease certain days is bad.   You should accept only accept certain forms of payment for the first payment which should be cash, certified cashiers check, or money order.  After that the pm you should accept maby forms including pay pal, venmo, bank transfer, cash deposit, mobile check deposit, money order,  the tenant shouldnt be restricted and that will cost you people.  The first of the month thing is just stupidly lazy. You have been getting bad pms.  Properties cash flow in other areas if things won't work out this one time.  Dont get bad pms you dont need to settle.  There has to be some good ones in Indy.  If you can find one relocate.

    @ Ronn Johnstone if you are working with a realtor or pm ask for their website.  For the listed properties you can find how long theyve been on the market.  A realtor will prioritize a sale more than a rental because they get paid more so look exclusively at their rentals.  It might have been rented before as well.  If its by the same person thats a good sign.   If you look at the tax records for these properties you can find out who the owners are.  Sometimes if you type in the owners name and town you can get a white pages phone number or if they are close to where you live go knock on their door.  You can also ask about them on here.  You can also go to public state records available free online and search their criminal history.  You can find ways to get extra info.  You can ask about them on here as well

  • Rental Property Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2015 · 82 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Also, check with the Utility company.  You should have a landlord agreement on all of you properties that states if the tenant moves that, as the landlord, you will be responsible for paying the bill so that the power and gas are not turned off.  Your PM should be the one tracking that. Also, the tenant should not be able to change the bill without you being notified immediately for approval.  This will notify the PM that the tenant has moved, or is pulling a fast one trying to get you to pay the utilities, and avoid this happening in the future.

    Good luck!

  • Investor / Vendor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 949 votes
    9y

    @Annie Li

    Hey tough situation and the PM should be responsible but the cost to fight them is not worth the time and effort. Make sure to let everyone know the name of the PM company so others can avoid them like the plague. They sound unprofessional and awful. Not to mention low-integrity due to their lying. Agree with @Andrew S. that you typically wouldn't send an email to turn on/off electricity with utility companies so they are highly likely to be lying.

    Also, don't get discouraged, a lot of haters in this thread trying to kick you while your down, but it's A-OK looking to cash-flow in the Midwest. Just gotta build a better team or have a trusted boots on the ground.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    The risk you run is you force the PM to pay a portion and now he doesn't go the extra mile for you when needed. 

    The fact of the matter is you aren't there day to day and have zero clue what is going on. I have owned properties at a distance before and thankfully sold them without losing my shirt. It was a terrible experience and I will never do it again. 

    If you make the PM pay I would just hire a new one altogether.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 492 posts · 267 votes
    9y
    Annie Li I would inform your PM that if they are not willing to work with you on this, or show proof of who's fault it is, you are going to be looking for a new PM. That should get them to do something, or fire them. If it Happened once, it will happen again
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.