Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 14 votes
Hi, I am nearing completion of a rental property and need to decide whether to use laminate or granite. The price I was quoted for 47 sq ft of laminate installed starts at $1300 for A level through to $1500 for C level. The price for granite, a very nice grey one is $2000. I plan on holding on to this property for a while since the street directly outside the property is undergoing a revitalization plan upgrade. In my mind, looking into the future, the price of the property will improve significantly as there are no others in the area at this price even right now. So do I invest the extra money into a better counter now or stick with the laminate to save costs. I doubt granite will make any difference to the rental price per month right now but will probably help to sell the property in a few years.
Johnstown, PA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 9 votes
9y
New to the group but I have been doing remodel work for years. Brand name companies for faucets, showers and other fixtures usually sell through ebay a lot of times. Each year just like cars new models come out and the past years models are obsolete to them. If you do some price comparison usually you can find these for 80% off. Just another way to save a few bucks on the remodel without sacrificing quality.
Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 14 votes
9y
Thank you everyone for the information. So much to take in. Cant buy prefab counters from HD or Lowes because of the backsplash attached. They seem to be only for counters that are up against a wall and my kitchen layout unfortunately is U shape with walls on 2 sides only. I am still shopping around and can see both sides of the argument. Most of the granite places charge the same. Floor n Decor have prefab counters in engineered stone which look great starting at $10.95 this week. A steal. But again the sizes are for counters that are against a wall. If I could use these I would definately go for them as there are many colours to choose from. Likewise Ikea have a new laminate counter that looks very close to soapstone sequoia. Again...size doesnt suit. Not wide enough for a counter with overhang, made mainly for walls. Will keep this in mind next time I do a renovation to take more consideration in the layout.
The A B & C grading of property is very subjective. This could either be a A- or B+. lol. But doesnt fit into either A or B fully. I use amazon to buy my kitchen handles. The price is much better than HD or Lowes.
fyi I am looking to get $900 to $1000 rent for this property. I paid $60k and my renovations will be around $18 to $20K depending on my level of finish. Needed everything. The location is great and capital improvements are in progress for the street.
Johnstown, PA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 9 votes
9y
One thing I forgot to add before. I am not sure of your situation in terms of if you are an LLC or not. I recently started and chose the LLC route. I am really glad I did because of the discounts you get. I applied for an american express lowes card which is 5% off all the time and 10% off during special sales. Also when you log into the lowesforpros site you can see a ton of special sales. My first big order from them is probably going to save me 1000's. Just like when you go to buy a house feel free to shop around. You can wheel and deal with lowes and home depot on pricing. Also home depot you can submit your orders at the pro desk and a lot of times they will discount your order. It has to be over 1500 or 2000 I believe. Lowes is the same way and theirs is a 1500 order minimum. One of the sales the other day was a good brand vanity with marble top for $214 instead of 999 so watching for sales is a great way to save cash.
Hialeah, FL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
9y
wel s the property is for rent all u can save in cost is good but if u have extra bucks go with the granite its more luxury for rent looks better and no big damage can happen to it the laminate gets scratch can have burn stains
Kootenay Boundary E, British Columbia · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
9y
Always ensure that regardless of your kitchen countertop ideas , go for materials which can withstand wear and tear are durable while cooking and preparation. With a myriad of design choices and finishes available, aided by the present day engineering and technology, it's challenging, finding the best countertop for your home. Putting in a lot of research is worth the effort, since it is a long term investment. For a bold effect, go for lively colors( yellows, oranges, lime green, choice of white and black). Some prefer patterned kitchen countertops, though, I would suggest the former. Zinc countertops are seeing a surge in kitchen countertop popularity these days. For more ideas, refer this article on kitchen countertops http://www.bedfordbrooks.com/kitchen/tips-for-choosing-kitchen-countertops/.
If you prefer to go by affordability, check on laminate countertops, but if you wanna stick with a durable option, settle for natural stone. Above all, don't choose a countertop based solely on appearance. Best wishes. Do post your countertop pics after successful completion of your renovation work.