New rental property - Which countertop do I use?

New rental property - Which countertop do I use?

Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 14 votes

Hi, I am nearing completion of a rental property and need to decide whether to use laminate or granite.  The price I was quoted for 47 sq ft of laminate installed starts at $1300 for A level through to $1500 for C level.  The price for granite,  a very nice grey one is $2000.  I plan on holding on to this property for a while since the street directly outside the property is undergoing a revitalization plan upgrade.  In my mind, looking into the future, the price of the property will improve significantly as there are no others in the area at this price even right now.  So do I invest the extra money into a better counter now or stick with the laminate to save costs.  I doubt granite will make any difference to the rental price per month right now but will probably help to sell the property in a few years. 

Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers,
Suzy

0Reply
262 views

Most Popular Reply

Johnstown, PA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 9 votes
9y

New to the group but I have been doing remodel work for years. Brand name companies for faucets, showers and other fixtures usually sell through ebay a lot of times. Each year just like cars new models come out and the past years models are obsolete to them. If you do some price comparison usually you can find these for 80% off. Just another way to save a few bucks on the remodel without sacrificing quality. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    A lot of rentals are using granite more and more,, I'd consider a top mount sink, verses under-mount if you have sink, plumbing issues you can removed and service the sink without as many issues than if the sink is under-mounted. 

  • Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Thanks Deanna.   The sink advice is good too.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Spend a little bit more and get the granite. I prefer the Undermount sink. It looks much nicer with stone countertops and I haven't experienced any problems with them.
  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    granite is so inexpensive you can pick up slabs as low as $100 bucks .Granite is the new laminate ,shop around at some of the big wholesale stone places and find a  tile guy thru your local reia group ,laminate is not durable . I agree a top mount sink is the best option 

  • Real Estate Agent · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2013 · 464 posts · 311 votes
    9y

    I think it kind of depends on the property class in which the rental is in along with the tenant pool you are looking to attract.  If its a nicer neighborhood where you are looking to attract a higher level of tenants then go with the granite.  Another thing to note is that there is special care needed in order to take care of granite counter tops which a tenant might "forget" resulting in damage.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    9y

    Under mount are a pain to clean at the joint between the 2.  I would top mount the sink.  Everyone seems to want granite to keep up with "jone's" down the street but its not always necessary.  Some laminates look really good to.

  • Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    The A level granites that I have been shown in Florida are hideous in colour so I have a hard time choosing.  The ones that are more modern are always in the higher price range.  New age laminates are wonderful but they are also up there in price.  Back home in Australia, there is a new product which is being used called pressed laminate and pressed porcelain.  Doesnt look anything like laminate but it isnt something that i know much about other than they look great.   I'm not really used to using granites as we dont use them in australia.  Mainly concrete, ceaserstones, marble, quartz and the latest laminates.   So as for my quote of $2000 for granite, is that too much to pay for 46 sqft?

  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    9y

    If it were a $500 difference, I would likely go with the granite.  We looked at stone surfaces during our last couple of kitchen upgrades, and couldn't get anywhere near that close when comparing that to laminate.

    If you were to do laminate, who would install it?  In this area, we have Lowe's, Home Depot, and Menards for our big box home improvement stores, and Menards has great prices on prefabbed laminate countertops.

  • Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 215 votes
    9y

    My vote is on laminate. Unless, of course, it is a A or B plus rental. The price of installation is not the deciding factor for me. It is longevity and maintenance. My experience is that laminate is hard to beat.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    How do you know if a property is A B or C? I'm new to this as well. Thank you in advance!
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 105 votes
    9y

    If you can raise the rents by just $25 a month due to having a nicer kitchen than the other rentals on the block, then you'll have made back the extra investment in 2 years.  If not, some laminate looks great and lasts a long time.  If the kitchen design looks good most renters won't care.  

  • Program Manager / Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    I recently bought a 10x10 granite countertop plus granite backsplash plus installation for under $1,500 at Home Depot. They even had multiple choices There are definitely deals out there and I prefer granite over laminate for a rental property.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    9y

    It's only $500. This is a no brainer go with the granite.

  • Real Estate Agent · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2014 · 529 posts · 217 votes
    9y

    @Suzane Ivas Like others have mentioned, I would check with HD.  They usually offer 4 lower end granite for the price of 29-34$ per sqft.  However I have seen some other HD's in different locations charge as high as 42$ for the same pieces! I guess it depends on the area.  Depending on the layout, you might be able to find a piece of remnant at a local distributor for 25$sqft.  $2000 isn't horrible but I would shop around.  The sink will cost a couple of hundred and the faucet will probably be another 75$  Search the clearance section for the faucet.  There's usually one laying around.  

  • Johnstown, PA · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    New to the group but I have been doing remodel work for years. Brand name companies for faucets, showers and other fixtures usually sell through ebay a lot of times. Each year just like cars new models come out and the past years models are obsolete to them. If you do some price comparison usually you can find these for 80% off. Just another way to save a few bucks on the remodel without sacrificing quality. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Highland, UT · Member since 2015 · 407 posts · 272 votes
    9y

    We got a remnant for $1,200 installed. I called the granite supplier and asked for a couple contracts they'd recommend. Got a great company who has lots of remnants to choose from. I can't remember the square footage. Also we did top mount sink and saved $100 bucks.

    For resale granite, for long term rental laminate. Do you think you'll need to renovate before selling?

  • Program Manager / Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 77 posts · 39 votes
    9y
    I recommend Amazon or EBay for the faucets and sink. Some very good quality products for lower cost.
  • Investor · Las Vegas. Jacksonville, Bay Area Ca, Nv, Ca, Fl · Member since 2015 · 511 posts · 220 votes
    9y

    It's crazy, the cost difference. As @Account Closed stated prefab slabs in Vegas runs about $100 and here in the Bay Area they run about $39 a slab. I flip in all three markets and the granite prices are high in Florida, well at lease in JAX. I have been putting granite in everything own. Granite is great in rentals because it takes a beating a little better than laminate. Of course it chips and stains. But this can be repaired and sealed. I am a advocate of impervious surfaces in rentals fluid can be very destructive. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    9y

    Man that price for the laminate installed seems excessive. I purchased a precut 60x144in laminate countertop from my local lowes for about $160. Had to do the cutting for the sink and installation, but for an extra 1150-1350, I would do that all day long. Of course I know we are all in a different position and many advocate for working 'on' their business and not 'in' their business. I think the granite pricing seems fair. Really depends on if it is an A, B, C, or D property. A and B, probably granite. C and D, laminate most likely.

  • Specialist · CHICAGO · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 650 votes
    9y

    Do consider your exit strategy. Are you planning on selling 5 years or less and upgrading to bigger better properties? Spend a little more, it holds up better, and what would you rather buy? Others old laminate or granite that has held up. Spending a tittle extra in material in kitchens and baths gets properties rented faster and sold.

  • Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    If you are planning to sell in a few years and the neighborhood is coming up, I would definitely go for the granite for the extra $500. Kitchens sell houses. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    If you are planning to sell in a few years and the neighborhood is coming up, I would definitely go for the granite for the extra $500. Kitchens sell houses. 

  • Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    As others have said, $500 more for the granite is the correct choice, especially if you are holding the property for any period of time.  Granite IS the new laminate.  Quartz is the new granite.

    We compete in the mid-level rehab & rent arena in the suburbs of our market.  These homes average value is $150K-$175K and granite or other solid stone is expected.  This has become so generic that a house without stone countertops is almost "distressed" eligible!  Unfortunately, our market is also one of those higher cost solid stone markets with prices averaging about $30-$50sf wholesale.

    We have looked at a number of alternative ways to gain a competitive advantage and keep our prices down.  We are leaning toward getting a container of stone direct from a quarry in Italy.  The landed price for 70+ slabs will be less than $20 slab for good quality Granite & Quartz.  Our challenge so far has been finding fabricators in our area to work with us.  Most work for the big countertop shops and cannot moonlight for us.

    Another option that is gaining great popularity is concrete poured countertops. This is far cheaper than stone and some consumers prefer it more than solid stone.  We are still in the exploratory phase of this but the CC I've seen in person are gorgeous! I saw one CC in white that I thought was quartz until I was told differently.  

    We hold all our rehabs for long term rentals so durability as well as cost is important.  Comparison on cost for our typical counter & island of 50sf, fabricated and installed, is $2200 for granite, $3000 for quartz and $800-$1000 for concrete.

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Contradiction Alert! You stated that you plan to hold the property for a while. Then, in the last sentence you answered your own question and then said that you plan to sell it in a few years.

    I have bought houses that were 40 years old with the original laminate counter tops that were in perfect condition. Some of them I kept, and some I changed out only because they were so ugly, like Pink or bright neon blue.  So don't rationalize spending $2000 on granite because it lasts a long time.

    As you said, the counter tops will not increase the rent. This is a business. Go to Lowe's and spend $200.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    If your rents are above 850.00 a month I would go with granite for the prices you used. If rents are less I would go with laminate. Reason being in my area renters who pay above 850.00 seem to take care of the apts. better. For  rents below the 850.00 I'm lucky if they even have vacum cleaners, they just don't seem to care below that price point.

    I agree with you Jerry on the rationale of laminate in the lower end, but understand that your 850 cutoff is completely market dependent. For example, you couldn't rent a rundown 3/2 SFR in the heart of the ghetto in my market for 850, and in others 850 may get you a really nice place in class A neighborhood.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.