venting about the preasures of investing before your ready

venting about the preasures of investing before your ready

Investor · Levittown, NY · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 9 votes

I have been listening to  alot of real estate podcasts lately, atleast 20 different ones. I have been noticing there seems to always be some making fun of people who have tried there luck at real estate and failed.  All these shows seem to always have a story of 2008 in which a hair dresser, bartender, taxi cab driver,bus driver, etc dipped there toe in real estate when they had no business doing so. Then they seem to tell you enough with the analysis paralyses and just invest already. It will end up being a cheaper education  than a guru. It seems like those that ended up making it are making fun of those that did not (NOT COOL) And they are so much smarter then everyone else. I find that its counter productive and people have become what they once disliked. My personal belief is that people shoud become very educated before investing and not being pressured and caught up in the hype of investing before there time. I know of handfull of people who jumped in before they should have and it ended badly.  The only thing this seems to accomplish is to provide a farm system of cheap properties for the bigger players when the less seasoned ones go belly up. 

0Reply
8 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    I find a lot of investors, especially the novices, pushing others to invest asap or worse advising others to hold personal homes as rentals or to hold on to a bad investment. 

    Investing is extremely high risk when compounded by lack of education yet everyone is encouraging others, that are clearly not ready, to take the plunge. 

    They think life is a race.

    Becoming a landlord is a business and stats show most new businesses fail in the first 5 years.

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Joseh Orobello

    No matter how much you read or try to prepare, you will never learn as much as when you actively start investing. Buying my first property was an eye opener. Still I learned a lot more as I bought my second and third properties and managed my rentals over the last 3 years.

    I was lucky I had Bigger Pockets when I started investing. I listened to a ton of podcasts, read a ton of articles, and posted regularly on the forums. I also read several books and talked to actual investors. Then I dived into it. 

    I do believe strongly in educating yourself before you get started. Without that education a person is merely speculating.

  • Investor · Levittown, NY · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Thomas S. Thank you so much for your response and input

  • Investor · Levittown, NY · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Gayden thank you for your input

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.