Someone is renting a houde under my name and social!

Someone is renting a houde under my name and social!

Henderson, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 6 posts 路 0 votes

I recently pulled my credit report to find an address I have never lived at or even applied to rent at. The person in the home did not answer the door when I rang the door bell. What do I do? I posted a notification to the social security website. I went to the County Assessor's office all they did was offer the Social Security notification. In my city when you call the Police on the non-emergency line they never answer. My next step is to file a report at the station and see what happens. I don't have the actual renter's information so I'm not sure where that will go. I do have the address so I may lead somewhere it's worth a try. Does anyone know anything else I should do or try??

0Reply
49 views

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 Charlotte, NC 路 Member since 2016 路 374 posts 路 189 votes
    9y

    See if nevada is one of the states that allows you to freeze your credit in cases of ID theft.  Get a police report.  Look up the owner's name in the county's registrar of deeds and contact that person to let them know.  

  • Buy & Hold Owner 路 Redlands, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y

    Notify your credit cards of ID Thief, giving all the info you can.  They will cancel all cards, lock your credit and help you get this resolved.

  • Reno, NV 路 Member since 2016 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    9y

    It might be helpful to look into an identity theft monitoring service. I believe these plans will help restore your identity if you pay for a monthly memebership service with them. Two I know of are ID Watchdog and ID Shield. I use ID Watchdog which is offered through my employer for monitoring. Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 St Joseph, MI 路 Member since 2015 路 302 posts 路 106 votes
    9y

    @Celeste Byrd

    Have you looked up county records to find the owner of the property? I'm sure the landlord can help with this situation. Better to let them in on whats going on. If you can't find it, ask a title company to look it up for you.

  • Henderson, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 6 posts 路 0 votes
    9y

    I just wrote a letter to the owner I will mail it to him today. 

    I really appreciate all the advice and will look into all of it! You guys are amazing I thought I was just stuck. My fear is they get evicted and that will show on my credit as well!

  • Queens, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 43 posts 路 7 votes
    9y
    Wow that's something else
  • Henderson, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 6 posts 路 0 votes
    9y

    I mailed the letter and no response thus far!

  • Minneapolis, MN 路 Member since 2013 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    9y

    not sure how far away you are but I'd camp out and find out what the people look like.. photo of car, people, and knowing me I'd probably knock on the door say I'm collecting donations for some xxxx charity and check to see who answers the door.. 

    But for sure get it sourced with police, and your credit companies,,

  • Investor 路 Birmingham, AL 路 Member since 2016 路 446 posts 路 305 votes
    9y

    What is the name of the landlord?

  • Investor 路 Takoma Park, MD 路 Member since 2016 路 166 posts 路 147 votes
    9y

    If you mailed the letter and had no response, you should consider sending a certified letter. If something does happen with the property, you will have proof you notified the landlord of the issue with the tenant.

    I do not believe it is prudent for you to go by the place and confront the tenant. The only think you know about the person is they are using your name illegally and have an interest in you not interfering with them doing so. Be safe.  

    Go to the police station and file a complaint. That creates a record, and the police do not like to have a record that shows they didn't do anything.

  • Johnson City, TN 路 Member since 2014 路 586 posts 路 705 votes
    9y

    Was there an actual credit inquiry associated with this? If not,  it could be a merging of credit files which is the fault of the cra. The occupants could be totally innocent 

  • Henderson, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 6 posts 路 0 votes
    9y

    The tenants are not totally innocent. I've been by the house and I have a picture of the car they own. They didn't answer the door when we rang the doorbell. If they were innocent why avoid answering the door? I'm going to file the police report and I really appreciate all they input. I will keep you all abreast. Thank you so much 馃槉 

  • Henderson, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 6 posts 路 0 votes
    9y

    I'm doing everything listed on this post!

  • Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2013 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y

    I like my space and don't always answer the door, if someone knocks, so, that doesn't mean anything. 

    Something that could have happened is that someone else with your name had their credit filed crossed with yours. Happens. 

    Does one of your local tv stations have a consumer reporter, who might like to knock on that person's door to get their side of it? Sounds like one of those cases that might be interesting to you, as it would bring drama and viewership.

  • Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2013 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
    9y

    Is the only thing that happened, that there's an address listed on your credit report that you don't know? That can just be a totally innocent mistake by the credit bureau. Are there no other false entries in any of your credit reports? Then I probably wouldn't really worry about it.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Rockford, IL 路 Member since 2014 路 4k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Celeste Byrd,

    When the bureaus pull a report from their database, they only need to match 7 of the nine digits in the SSN, and not necessarily in order. Name matches use "fuzzy" logic (not an exact match, but close).

    Credit merging is all too common and often misinterpreted as identity theft.

    Did you challenge the pull with the credit bureau(s)? The FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) requires them to investigate and report back at your request.

    Another poster mentioned corresponding directly with the landlord or whoever made the inquiry leading to the lease. The FACTA (Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act) gives you the right to correspond directly with the party or parties making the inquiry and entering into the lease.

    I'm not a legal professional or a credit expert. I just happen to be knowledgeable thanx to my Renatus education. 

    Get the right person on your team as you're pursuing this. You'll want to be able to accurately quote the law in your correspondences.

  • Henderson, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 6 posts 路 0 votes
    9y

    Good to know. Thanks for the explanation. I will submit a dispute asap!

  • Johnson City, TN 路 Member since 2014 路 586 posts 路 705 votes
    9y

    is there an inquiry on your credit report from any type of rental agency? You need to have all the facts before you go John Wayne. If you are wrong you might get your head handed to you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.