Should I start the Eviction process of or take the tenants word?

Should I start the Eviction process of or take the tenants word?

Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes

I have a rental in a poor area that has only until recently been managed by a realtor who placed whomever they could find, in my rental.  One tenant  has not paid the rent since the first and has had her car taken away from her to by her parents, with whom she apparently has been staying with. She told me she lost her job and is moving out, but how long should I give her to move her stuff before starting the Eviction? The electric has not been paid in nearly 2 monthes and is scheduled to be shut off by the city. 

0Reply
32 views

Most Popular Reply

Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
9y

I knew all I needed to know about this post from merely reading the title.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • David RobrechtPro Member
    San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Are you trying to keep your zero eviction record intact? Start the process. It can be as simple as sending a notice to vacate letter. I umpire baseball and a saying amongst that community is the umpire who brags he never has ejected someone is the umpire who doesn't know he isn't in control. Not knowing anything about your tenant situation besides the three sentences you wrote, I doubt an eviction would really scare or pressure this young individual who doesn't pay her bills and has her car privileges controlled by her parents, but it would atleast get the ball rolling if she doesn't move out soon like you assume she will hopefully do.

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    I knew all I needed to know about this post from merely reading the title.

  • Real Estate Investor · Plymouth, WI · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Start the process today. There is NO chance you'll collect any back rent from this tenant, so there's no reason to give her any more free rent days than the law requires. 

  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Davis..Yes, start.  Otherwise, she might continue to use as storage.  She lost her job and parents took transportation are not good signs..GL

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    From what you described the tenant has no money, no transportation, and likely no where to go.  She is feeding you lip service so she can figure things out.  Start the eviction and let it play out from there.  

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Never take their word for it. Start the eviction process today. This is your priority. If a tenant is behind, you file for eviction, and if they pay by whatever date they had promised, then great, you can cancel the eviction. Same when they promise to move out. Something will come up to delay it. Couldn't get a truck. Couldn't get help. Always something.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 242 posts · 182 votes
    9y
    Find a mover who will hire out a 2 man crew for 2-3 hours for $250-300. Serve the eviction notice so she knows you're not playing games. Tell her she can move it all out now and you'll pay to move it to a location within reason or she risks having it put out on the street, losing it all, and having an eviction tied to her name in public records. You save eviction costs, free up her unit to get a new tenant faster, and you show her some compassion by helping her get out. She probably doesn't have the resources to move the stuff. I'm all for making a good business decision that doesn't pile on another person's misery. She's obviously struggling.
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Tomorrow is Friday,, Today I'd give her the pay or quit, Call or talk to her let her know your going to file eviction on Monday, I'd camp out at her front door until you make contact. She has the weekend to move. You'll be by on Sunday at 5 to get the keys. I wouldn't offer her a dime. You could offer to help transport and move her junk but that's over and beyond. 

    If she isn't out Sunday at 5 go to court house and file.

    Get the power company to revert the power back to owner as soon as you can.. the few bucks to do this will protect your unit in the interim. If you have her parents number call them and let them know what is up, they are in the picture so hopefully they will help her move. 

    Take photos of unit once you gain possession, document any damages and send the sec deposit move out statement so you properly have sent that out with back rent and $$ due. I had a kid in similar situation,, about 7 months later he called me back and wanted to pay what he owed.. Going to small claims court is one thing collecting is another.. 

    Normally if I received notice from power company the power is in jeopardy of shutoff I send notice to cure.. and then file if not corrected. To much risk for fire, and accident. It's part of their lease requirements to keep the service on for just that fact. 

  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    9y

    Hi Kenneth,

    I have been down this road, start the process ASAP.  She's going to stay until something pushes her out, so it is in your best interest to start to push.  The sooner she is out, the less she will owe you (which you will likely never collect anyways), and the sooner you can move on.

  • Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 885 votes
    9y

    Yikes!! You need to ask? Get OUT of the Rental business fast. Run don't walk!  

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 75 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth Davis - Yes start the process of eviction, and have everything on paper. Unfortunately, this happens in RE. Its not personal, its business. Your tenant has her own issues, and no else will feel sorry for you. Part of the business. Keep us posted.

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    I had a realtor managing the property which was released back into my hands on the 10th of this month. The realtor did not bother with alerting me about this tenant. I only found out about the tenant being late on her rent from neighboring tenant, after I had called the police too the property to investigate a burglery of the upstairs unit of the property. The deadbeat renter is actually 30 something and had her mom take her car away according to the neighbor due to a chain of events from a job loss. Long story short I will take her to court through the eviction process if her belongings are not out by Friday when I get back into town. I had a weird month with multple tenant issues breaking an appliance too paying late etc. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    This particular property is in Starke Florida and I have tried for over a year to sell it. I quickly realized it was a mistake after i screened out people left and right. The realtors did not give a crap who they rented too and so the only thing working in my favor is both were on month to minth agreements. Im good in lanlording in areas where oeople actually work for a living vs collecting disability and do drugs. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    I had no choice but take the chance to have realtors who were advertising the property for sale to also rent the units out. I far more stricter in screening tenants as you may currently think, but Starke Florida is the city of the poor which i only realized too late. Im sure if I cant find good renters there, I will just board up the windows abd doors. $45k was not a huge price but no takers in this section of dumpy Florida. My life is kind of a purpetual HELL, by my choice to live in Florida- where the majority of the population live paycheck to paycheck. I have not chosen the best jobs nor could find such as a lucky few. The rentals work in other cities

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Saint Mary, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    The realtor by the way sent me a letter a month in advance that they would no longer be managing the property a week after I told them to take it off the market for sale which I chose to do out of "total discust" by the A-holes that did throw unreasonable offers too the realtor to ask me. I have a very short temper and really have no problem throwing the deadbeat renters belongings out of the property myself, but not sure what the law would do? I have multiple distractions today but the realtors took security deposits from the tenants which they so far have refused to surrender too me. I probably have to take the realtor to small claims court as well. 

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I wish you luck in selling your property. This is why you research well before purchasing a property. And you must also work on your emotions in this field of business as well. Running off of your short temper will only get you in trouble and/or continue your "perpetual hell."

    There are tons of wonderful locations in FL to purchase rental property. Don't blame it on Florida. Blame it on your lack of research.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.