Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 142 posts · 52 votes
Hello everyone I just closed on my first property today. I invested in a duplex in Columbus Ohio and I used a 203 k loan and I'm rehabbing one side while the other is fully renovated at $800. The side in which I plan on moving in needs some work, and currently is being rented for $400. The tenant in the side which is rented for $400 is the side in which I plan on moving in and house hacking, and currently is on a month to month lease. My question here is the tenant has no idea what's going on and is currently out of town, I have to give him the 30 day notice by tomorrow in order to be able to begin my rehab work in time and my first payment is exactly 30 days from tomorrow. How and what is the best way to approach him in letting him know properly to move out in 30 days. From speaking to the current landlord he's been there for years and I fear I may have to go the route of evicting but would like to avoid that at all costs. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
Open and honest communication. Be fair and polite. That's tough. It's hard to find a new home in 30 days, especially when you didn't see it coming. I'd give them 60 days notice and help them with some of the logistics, like boxes, tape, 3 mil garbage bags, and a free dump run.
Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
9y
I agree with @Bob B. No tenant takes it well. I have NEVER had a good inherited tenant. I usually end up evicting them anyway after months of trying to work with them. Save yourself some time, money and stress and just be upfront with them. Then if they are not out file the eviction on day 31.
Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
Open and honest communication. Be fair and polite. That's tough. It's hard to find a new home in 30 days, especially when you didn't see it coming. I'd give them 60 days notice and help them with some of the logistics, like boxes, tape, 3 mil garbage bags, and a free dump run.
Property Manager · Columbus, OH · Member since 2012 · 309 posts · 275 votes
9y
I would give them 60 days notice as a courtesy, but don't recommend getting involved in helping them move or providing supplies. That's the the type of relationship I found to be useful with departing tenants. It may give them the wrong idea - that you are soft, or will give them more time if they need it because you're such a nice guy, etc etc.
Hello everyone I just closed on my first property today. I invested in a duplex in Columbus Ohio and I used a 203 k loan and I'm rehabbing one side while the other is fully renovated at $800. The side in which I plan on moving in needs some work, and currently is being rented for $400. The tenant in the side which is rented for $400 is the side in which I plan on moving in and house hacking, and currently is on a month to month lease. My question here is the tenant has no idea what's going on and is currently out of town, I have to give him the 30 day notice by tomorrow in order to be able to begin my rehab work in time and my first payment is exactly 30 days from tomorrow. How and what is the best way to approach him in letting him know properly to move out in 30 days. From speaking to the current landlord he's been there for years and I fear I may have to go the route of evicting but would like to avoid that at all costs. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Just gather the confidence, go over and deliver written notice. Get his email and email him the letter as well. Give him a move out checklist on what to do to make sure a full security deposit is given. If you don't want to do this i'd get a PM to do it or an attorney. I've done this even as an agent before. What are of columbus did you buy in/
Investor / Landlord · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 276 posts · 174 votes
9y
@Justin Frye I am not an attorney but I am an experienced landlord. If I am calculating correctly, you posted on April 1st. If the tenant's rent has been due each month on the 1st, I'm reasonably certain you've passed the date when the "true" 30 days would apply. Assuming you actually have delivered the notice and did not deliver it on or before March 31st, I believe your tenant now has a legal right to stay until May 30th (though I may be off a day or so).
Whether I am correct or incorrect, you are best served by running this by a landlord tenant attorney just to make sure you don't cross any lines that creates problems for yourself. I'm not 100% certain but I think Ohio courts define "thirty days prior" to not include the day the notice was delivered. (Sorry about the large font, I don't know how to correct that.)
Except as provided in division (C) of this section, the landlord or the tenant may terminate or fail to renew a month-to-month tenancy by notice given the other at least thirty days prior to the periodic rental date.
San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 226 votes
9y
@Justin Frye we went through that with two tenants when we bought a 4 unit late last year. Make sure you follow all local laws regarding serving notice (we hand delivered and sent via certified mail, but we're in CA). I'd suggest 60 days as well, to ensure they have time to process this and find a place. I'd also let them know they will receive back their entire deposit on the day of move out, assuming the unit is left broom clean.
For long time renters this isn't a surprise. They may have already been through it or know someone who has. Just be honest, firm, and don't take any of it personally.
Side note, both our former tenants moved out without issue.
Investor · Hilliard, OH · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 25 votes
9y
I believe Ed is right. They have until the end of May if you've not posted the notice yet. You have until April 30 if you want them gone by May 31. Assuming the market rate of that unit is 800 like the other one, you are losing 400/month on this one. I know you are actually going to live in it, but if you look at this purely from a numbers perspective. Give the tenant 100 bucks bonus if they can leave by May 15th and 200 if they are willing to leave by May 4th and it is broom clean. Trust me, this is way cheaper in the long run.
Also, I would do both post the notice and send a certified mail.
You need to learn your state landlord tenant regulations immediately as a responsibility of operating your business.
Give legal notice as required by your state codes and follow up with what ever action is necessary to get rid of them. A bribe may work in this case since they have no other options.
Know the laws governing your business before a tenant takes you to court for violating their rights.
Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Great advice from all above.. Give proper notice, Give a " if you are able to relocate sooner we would be happy to prorate any rent and will give you a additional $$ move out allowance along with your full security deposit if unit is left in clean and suitable condition.
This usually get's them going depends on how soon you want possession.
First you need to serve the 30 day notice that terminates the month to month tenancy. It'll take effect at the end of the month that is 30 days out. So if you served it today, the 30 day period would expire in early May, and the tenant would be obligated to leave by the end of May. If the tenant does not, you post a 3 day eviction notice for the illegal holdover and file the eviction suit with the court. If the tenant forces you to evict, retain a landlord / tenant law attorney in Columbus to assist you.
At this point in time, since you are now just getting started with investing, you need to embrace the fact that you are operating a business. Every decision going forward needs to be a strictly business decision. No room in business for personal emotions or compassion. All that will lead to is you being taken advantage of by tenants.
When you need a tenant gone you get rid of them, simple as that. Choose the quickest and most cost effective way possible while not allowing any emotions to interfere with your decisions or bowing to extortion. Remember you are dealing with soon to be ex-tenants that are interfering with your business plan.