Hanging out dirty laundry

Hanging out dirty laundry

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes

So, I and a partner have created a creative community, with all residents being creative in some form. This is a private cul-de-sac and we made all outside space 'common area', for people in our community to hang out. 

Yesterday I found a line with laundry flapping in the wind, across the common area. I knew who's it was and texted the wife to please not hang out laundry in the area that is used by everyone (they don't have private yards anywhere. They're renting the inside of their house). 

The husband called me and we got into a heated argument, because he wants to save on electricity and I don't want him to do this in our public area. It's trashy.

I then brought them a letter, signed by me and my partner, telling them that it's not acceptable to hang laundry in the common area. It rained later and after the laundry was gone and I brought the line and put it in front of their door. 

This morning I found the line back up, full of clothes, that are spray painted 'this is art'. So, now I'm ticked off, because he's doing this to spite me, but in the meantime he's disrespecting everyone that's living there by doing this. 

I put up a 1-day notice , that he tore apart in front of me and told me that I'm f*cking with the wrong person. I yelled back that if he things that starting a war with his landlord is a smart thing to do then he'll better dream on. Also, that I would no longer communicate with him verbally and everything is now in writing and legal route. 

Now I'm trying to figure out how to file for eviction, because that situation is obviously not addressed in the lease. I would have never thought that anybody would be so disrespectful and hang out their laundry in the common area where people sit and eat etc. 

How can I, as a landlord, enforce a rule, that we had to set as a reaction to something we didn't expect?

2Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

well when you travel through Europe  Italy and Greece in particular you will see laundry hanging out on the line in front of these great ancient homes.

up here in Orygun well we don't do that much unless you want to grow moss on your clothes..

plus in many areas of the US your just inviting the petty thieves to steal your skinny jeans

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    well when you travel through Europe  Italy and Greece in particular you will see laundry hanging out on the line in front of these great ancient homes.

    up here in Orygun well we don't do that much unless you want to grow moss on your clothes..

    plus in many areas of the US your just inviting the petty thieves to steal your skinny jeans

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Jay Hinrichs , you're right about Europe, but that's usually, because those buildings are very old and they were not built with laundry rooms inside, so many people don't have space for dryers or access to one and have to keep doing what they've always done. 

    DIfferent in the U.S. It's also different when you do it in your own backyard, than when you do it in a public place. Just imagine someone hanging a line between 2 trees in a public park and hanging his laundry ;-)

  • Real Estate Agent · Terrell, TX · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    If you are the landlord, do you own the property he is putting his laundry on? Right now, that space is being used as public space for the residents in the cul de sac? I'm trying to paint the situation in my head.
  • Real Estate Agent · Westford, MA · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 52 votes
    9y
    The title is a bit misleading. Presumably the laundry is clean. Do you address it in your lease? What are they allowed to do in the common space? Are they made aware that no personal items can be outside at anytime because you are not renting any outdoor space to them? Getting into a screaming match with the tenant doesn't look great for anyone involved, particularly over something like (clean) laundry. Is this really worth evicting over or are they already troublesome tenants?
  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    Sounds like you have created a hippie community as is. You are now infringing upon their ability to "save the planet". 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Derek Wheeler , actually, these duplexes that we have comprise one city block and they're fenced in. So, there's an entrance from one street and all the space between the houses we've designated as 'common area' for everyone to enjoy. 

    @Samantha Magina , yes, you're right - the laundry is probably clean. Just thought I'd get more people to look at the post ;-).  No, of course I don't address it in the lease, because it never even occured to me that someone would do that. It's just so disrespectful to everyone. I asked nicely by text to please not hang their laundry in the common area, which then escalated.

    Everyone that moved it was informed very clearly, that everything is common area. No, there's no rule that you can't have personal items out, but isn't it common sense that you don't hang your laundry into your neighbor's face? Everyone else is supposed to be able to utilize the area. 

    Well, what do I do? My partner and I agree that this is not acceptable. Here in Georgia it's definitely seen as trashy and we don't want to lower our standards to that. Even most Mobile Home parks have in their leases today that no laundry lines can be hung - it just never occured to me.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Derek Wheeler:

    If you are the landlord, do you own the property he is putting his laundry on? Right now, that space is being used as public space for the residents in the cul de sac? I'm trying to paint the situation in my head.

     Yes, we own the property. Technically, that particular piece belongs to my partner, who's on the same page as I. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Terrell, TX · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Well, if your partner owns that piece of land, and it really matters to you that they don't put their laundry out there (which it would matter to me; something like that couldn't help your property to appreciate if everyone starts airing out their laundry in the common areas), I would say have every tenant take down their personal belongings out there and make it private property. Unless it is in the lease agreement that the property is a common area. What stipulations are in your contracts about outside space?
  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Michaela G. Your lease likely has some sort of very general section about maintaining the property and not making alterations. Depending on how its worded you may be able to use that. Otherwise see if you've got another very general section that the tenants will abide by all rules established by the landlord. If you do have that (you should), make a rule that there is to be no clotheslines effective immediately, and deliver written notice to each of the tenants.

    I'm sure as you know, arguing about it isn't going to get you anywhere. You believe you are right, he believes he is right, and until one of you is forced to, your minds aren't going to change. And in the future, there should be a section on what is a permitted use of the common area, ie no storage of personal items (like bikes in a common corridor).

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    My partner came and he took down the line and laundry and put it at their door. He was also able to take down this one post that was sticking out and that was used for this. 

    I guess we'll see, if the tenant now will come up with something else just to spite me or if he'll let it go.

  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Michaela G.

    Can you ask your partner to step in, have a talk with the tenants face to face? 

    Sometimes in an argument like this, a 3rd party can come in and help resolve some of the issues. Good cop / bad cop.

    You're right. He will probably do something just to spite you and it becomes a nightmare for both parties, regardless of who is right or wrong. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Chris T.:

    @Michaela G.

    Can you ask your partner to step in, have a talk with the tenants face to face? 

    Sometimes in an argument like this, a 3rd party can come in and help resolve some of the issues. Good cop / bad cop.

    You're right. He will probably do something just to spite you and it becomes a nightmare for both parties, regardless of who is right or wrong. 

     My partner told me if he does something else, to take it up with him. 

    I know that sometimes it's also being a woman and a man not getting past the male ego and not being able to back down to a woman. 

    But it's really stupid to start a war with your landlord, threatening me with all kinds of things. It's kind of like starting a war with your boss. It's not going to end well for you.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Common space standards are usually covered by a overall statement regarding the space being intended for the use of all residents. There should be a separate collection of "community rules" in addition to the individual  lease regarding the rental of the building. You should have general language indicating that indivulaes tenants can not interfere with the enjoyment of the space by others.

    You should check with your state regulations. In most cases the landlord has the legal right to change the community rules simply giving notice to all residents.

    Common areas fall outside the language in the individual tenants lease.

    Tenants can not ever win a war with their landlord. This tenant has irreparably damaged the landlord/tenant relationship and will need to be placed on your "get rid of" list. No good will come from keeping this tenant.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Now he took the laundry and draped it over a little peach tree that we have in the same area, telling me F.....Y....

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Thomas S. , thank you I will check into community rules and state law. 

    We didn't put anything in writing about the community space, just expecting common courtesy/sense from everyone. Obviously a mistake

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I would just hire someone to put on a ski mask and steal their laundry every day until they learn

    Or fling a bunch of bird poop on them :)

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    The laundry line it's self is a hazard, Common area is common not set aside for individual use.

    No personal property is to be permitted to remain or infringe on the area set aside for common use.

  • Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    Now he took the laundry and draped it over a little peach tree that we have in the same area, telling me F.....Y....

     @Michaela G.,

    Could 2 of these foldable drying racks linky-link atenuate the situation? He could take his artsy approach to them....

    For the drying line I would take @Deanna McCormick's take and say is a public strangulation hazard.

    The "drying" peachtree i would say is a village requirements of not having anything in the tree except Halloween and Christmas, Bless his tenant heart :-P

    Also can you enlist the help of the other tenants to bring the sense to this guy? right now is him against the mean bad wolf corporate landlord....

    P.S. i see is hard to have Italian /german roots sometimes....Michelina, isn't it?

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Dumitru Anton , it's Michaela - I'm German born. 

    It's too late for talking. It's gotten out of control and I'm no longer talking to him. I actually allowed him to make a partial payment of rent for April and he still owed me $ 300. So, I put a 1-day notice on his door yesterday, demanding the remainder, plus late fees. No more willing to work with him. 

    I had before that received a text from him, saying that he's informed the city that I'm supposedly doing all kinds of illegal stuff on the property - b.s. - and they'll come by and shut me down. ALso that he would inform this black neighborhood about me being a racist and will make sure that everyone around here knows. 

    This is irrepably broken and if he pays, then I make sure to file immediately next month, if he's late again. Once someone plays dirty, there's no getting over it for me.

  • Cumming, GA · Member since 2014 · 218 posts · 71 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    @Dumitru Anton ,

    ALso that he would inform this black neighborhood about me being a racist and will make sure that everyone around here knows.

     I think you lived there for at least a year, so I think the neighborhood already knows what you can do.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Dumitru Anton:
    Originally posted by @Michaela G.:

    @Dumitru Anton ,

    ALso that he would inform this black neighborhood about me being a racist and will make sure that everyone around here knows.

     I think you lived there for at least a year, so I think the neighborhood already knows what you can do.

    You're right. I've lived here off and on since 2011, so neighborhood knows me. But the fact that he even plays that dirty makes it impossible for me to ever trust him again or 'just forget about it', even if he were to apologize.

  • Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I don't know the state of GA law but if it is in the CA, I would

    1. Serve change of terms notice to all residents regarding the use of community area

    2. Put in the notice that, 

    1) can't use this space to dry laundry

    2) can't use this space to displace any art/personal property

    3) can't use the trees/plant to dry laundry

    4) can't use this space to store any personal property belong to tenants/invitees/guest

    5) can't alter this area in any form by attach/build/nail/paint etc., etc.,

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I'm glad you've stopped talking to him. Getting into a yelling match over anything is not a good idea. Keep your cool and your professional appearance. Don't respond to his threats of "shutting you down" or slander.

  • Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 313 posts · 190 votes
    9y

    If it wasn't in your original lease, i don't see how you are going to prevail on this case. If this person isn't paying rent...well that's something different. 

  • Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 659 posts · 441 votes
    9y

    I think you approach it from the safety issue.  It's a line spread across a common area.  It's possible a kid could get tangled up in it.  I'm sure there is verbiage in the lease around maintaining a safe environment.  Also having clothes out in a public space, that can be a hazard as well.  If it's on their private property it's ok because the expectation is that people don't come onto your private property, but that's not the case here.  A 5-year-old could get into clothing and potentially wrap it around themselves as well.  That may be seen as a stretch, but it's true.

    If you approach it from a safety perspective, you have a good case for eviction.  I'd start the eviction process and even if they promise not to do it again, you have a standard that this tenant has set that he doesn't listen to your notices and the damage has been done.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.