Hello! Seeking advice on how you structure showings with potential tenants. This week I have had 2 properties to show and instead of zipping over there multiple times to show it we made 2 group showing times for each property. I also stated that we require a confirmation text 30 min. prior to verify that they still plan to come. Well over half have neither cancelled ahead of time, texted or showed up. When contacted after the fact they have had all sorts of reasons why- interestingly enough mostly all were emergencies where they all were at the ER...I don't buy it and it's incredibly frustrating and very wasteful of my time and resources. How do YOU set up and verify your showings? What have you found that has worked well? TIA!
We don't have this problem. We've been in the business twenty-plus years and have 17 rental units. I can't recall any "no-shows", but we've had a few people show up a little bit late.
We only show a unit after the prospective renter has completed our telephone screening (5 minutes) and telephone pre-qualification interview (30 minutes). If they appear to meet our minimum criteria to rent, then we make an appointment with them to show the property. This works for our budget properties as well as our mid-range properties. We don't have any high-end properties.
If you're interested, you can see our Rental Criteria and Tenant Screening Questions, as I've uploaded them to the BP website. Just go to Tools > File Place > Other Documents > and look for documents with my name.
You don't need to waste your time with folks who aren't good prospects. Also, the more barriers you set up (such as requiring a text confirmation before you go to show the property) the more likely you are to be disappointed.
Hope this helps!
We don't have this problem. We've been in the business twenty-plus years and have 17 rental units. I can't recall any "no-shows", but we've had a few people show up a little bit late.
We only show a unit after the prospective renter has completed our telephone screening (5 minutes) and telephone pre-qualification interview (30 minutes). If they appear to meet our minimum criteria to rent, then we make an appointment with them to show the property. This works for our budget properties as well as our mid-range properties. We don't have any high-end properties.
If you're interested, you can see our Rental Criteria and Tenant Screening Questions, as I've uploaded them to the BP website. Just go to Tools > File Place > Other Documents > and look for documents with my name.
You don't need to waste your time with folks who aren't good prospects. Also, the more barriers you set up (such as requiring a text confirmation before you go to show the property) the more likely you are to be disappointed.
Hope this helps!
We had them call 30 minutes ahead of the appointment to confirm they were on the way, otherwise, we would not be there. If they were serious, they called! :)
I used to live next door to a couple units I tented, so at that time it wasn't a big deal if someone didn't show. I would frequently have people come by while I was painting and cleaning a newly vacant unit.
I won't be living near places I will buy in the future and plan to do the group showing or 'open house' type approach. We will inform all prospective tenants we will be showing the place for 2 or 3 hours on a Saturday or Sunday and they can see the place then if they like. I won't care who is a no-show or ask them to confirm coming. We will just plan to be at the property at that time. For me, spending 30 minutes on the phone with every person who called would be a waste of my time. I'd prefer to 'screen' out the flakes by having them not show up to see the place.
Thank you for all the suggestions and giving a glance into how you operate. @Marcia Maynard thank you for the links, I will be sure to take a look, I forgot to mention that we also do an initial phone screening as well and then showings are only scheduled for those qualified, this is why I'm a bit baffled as to the no shows. My only other thought is that the rental market is so hot right now in this area that I think part of the issue is that they are moving forward with other lease offers but not canceling any other showings on the other properties they were interested in. We are just a year into the journey so there's lots to learn! Thanks again to everyone for your input!
Good question. I like the idea of the verification a short time before hand, and grouping some showings (so you can show the next one in a few minutes if you get a no-show), then the trip is not a waste.
Another idea--sometimes you get drive-by's or stop and goes that happen to see the unit or area is not a good fit for them when the pull up for the appointment and lose the nerve, so also mention they can drive by and check out the area in the interim (after they call and before the showing). And ask them to let you know if it is not a good fit.
If you get too many drive by's check your curb appeal or if something may be deterring them (the neighbor's angry dog, mattress mayhem out front, etc)... and whether you can remedy it.
On the bright side, you are screening out the flakey people that lack the personal management skills to show up and follow through (they probably would have the same excuses every month when rent is due)...
It may even be they sense in working with you that they are up against a detail oriented, diligent landlord and they know their issues (insert eviction, credit, 12 dogs, etc) would not fly, so they head for the hills (thank your lucky stars!).
Make no mistake the worst tenants are constantly trolling for the most lax landlord and they almost always find each other for a match made in hell(o)... Maybe they moved on to the next one (that they suspect will not have a thorough application or screening process) after a couple of communications with you...
Finally, bring along a book on real estate or some worthwhile topic or have a list of small chores you can do on the property if no one shows. It will become more rare over time but can happen from time to time.. Dodging these folks without follow through is a actually blessing in my view (they eliminated themselves from consideration automatically)..
Best of luck!
Good info, I was going to post because I setup two open houses this weekend, both with confirmed appointments and then generally broadcast to everyone interested (about 15 contacts, 4 confirmed to come to Saturday appointments) and not a single person showed up. I contacted a couple of them and one said their sister had a heart attack and another said they totaled their car. Crazy. Had a couple people who were super interested and who I emailed and talked to on the phone and then they disappeared. Very mysterious. I wasn't being super in depth for screening as I figured I would get enough people through during these open houses and let everyone interested fill out an application and talk to them in person. Now I'm not really sure what to do.
Actual and prospective tenants are habitual liars. I dont trust anything they say. I recall several instances where prospective tenants told me on the phone they were "on the way", " just leaving work" etc. and never showed. The only way I do this now is to schedule several tenants at once for an "open house". Even then expect only about 25% to actually show.
I also prescreen and request they drive up to the house as it is unoccupied and check it out. Most just lie and say they have already done this. I guess its just a cost of doing business. As for my credit check forms i now only email them a PDF instead of spending money on printer ink.
I own and rent property in a college town, so this is the norm, not the exception. Students always bail and I never hear back and I get stuck at the property just waiting around. So over the years, I've adopted an open house type strategy. I tell all prospects that call or email throughout the week that there will be an open house on Saturday from 1-3. Everyone is encouraged to come to that one timeslot. I tell them we have lots of interested parties and by the weekend we usually do. Everyone can come tour the property on their own time and if they bail or can't make that time it's usually not a big deal since there are a handful of other groups that will and do show up. At the open house, I hand out slips of paper with the property URL where, if they are serious about the property, can apply easily online. From there I weed out the ones that don't meet my criteria and set up a time to sign a lease with my top choice.
I've been doing it this way for about 5 years now, I haven't done a solo showing in ages, it saves me a ton of time, drives competition for my units and I usually have them all rented within a week or two of listing them.
I'm in a strong rental market, but I would assume that this would work elsewhere as well, you may just need to stretch out your open house marketing timeline a little to get more interest before you actually host the open house.
I would advise having open houses instead of showings. Have one on Saturday, one on Sunday and one in the evening during the week. There should be no excuse to not make one of those. Have them sign up for one of those.
We show occupied units, so open houses don't work for me- too much potential for something to get swiped. Instead, I schedule appointments 15 minutes apart, all grouped within an hour or two. I let the potential tenants know that there are appointments every 15 minutes, this tells them that there is competition for the apartment and urges them to be on time. I text to confirm the appointment the day before or the morning of, and let them know that if I don't hear from them that I will assume they aren't coming.
I keep track of who is late and why- usually it is traffic- and whether they let me know if they will be late or not. The no shows, if I do hear from them, usually have some grand excuse- someone is always in the hospital or got a flat tire. Some are honest and just forget, despite the reminder text they replied to. I don't bother contacting the no shows- if they can't handle an appointment with me with maturity I don't really need to consider who they will be as a tenant, there are plenty of others to choose from.
If you only have a couple of applicants that do not warrant a open house you have them contact you ahead of time. If it takes you 30 minutes to get to the property then that is all the notice you need. If they do not confirm you do not bother going.
I've started doing a combo of some of the strategies mentioned. We'll try to have the people requesting showings and have passed our phone screening to all come around the same 1-2 hour timeframe on the same day(s). I alert them ahead of time that I'll be sending them a text 30 minutes before their expected showing and, if I don't hear back, I won't be at the property to meet them.
I wouldn't say it has improved our "show rate", but it has definitely saved me wasted trips!
With that said, it is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. HUGE. Especially in our digital age, it takes less than 30 seconds to text back a response. Whether it is they are not coming, found another place, or an "excuse" and request for another day/time "slot". That is just basic manners and courtesy. It takes almost no time, yet most can't even be bothered. Like some others have said, "Good riddance!"
Thank you everyone, it's helpful to hear what's worked and what hasn't, we have some tweaks to make to hopefully streamline things a bit more! @Jennifer T. I completely agree, the disregard for others time is a huge pet peeve of mine as well, I'm always amazed at how many people can't make the showing because they are in the ER...no requests to reschedule tells me all I need to know and I am counting it as a blessing that we dodged a potential bad renter. The adventure continues!