Does dealing with these applicants ever get any easier?

Does dealing with these applicants ever get any easier?

Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes

I've only been advertising a week, and I've gotten some normal people, but some weird ones too.

Someone called today. They were living in Fort Lauderdale, not here. I told her I had an app fee. "You don't check credit, do you?" "Well, I don't check for medical bill collections or cell phone bill." "Oh, we don't have those problems, our credit is just bad period."

So I asked her if they had jobs lined up in Orlando. No, they don't. She doesn't work, and husband is self-employed car mechanic. She says they won't be able to provide income verification since he's self-employed. I told her that I wanted to see 3 times the rent gross monthly income. She complains that landlords in Lauderdale don't ask for that. Then I finally tell her that I don't think it's going to work out, and she hangs up on me. Oh, I didn't mention that they needed to move almost immediately. I was never clear on what their motivation was for moving from Lauderdale to Orlando either.

I don't know if I handled that one correctly. I'm trying to be fair and polite with everyone, but I don't understand why some of these people seem so demanding and pushy. I guess I just need to get used to it. Luckily, I haven't had any no shows yet--I had many when I was trying to rent a room in my apartment years ago.

0Reply
98 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y

Yes, it definitely gets easier. The person that called you is a DEADBEAT! He/she/it doesn't pay it's bills and it is too lazy to work. I'd be willing to bet that they have just been evicted. I would not rent to them - case closed and EASY!

I play a little game with phone calls from tenants. I try to make each call less than one minute. For example, someone calls about 123 Main Street:

I say "it's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, all electric, and has just been painted. very nice. It's $500 per month and the security deposit is $525 IF you don't have any pets. We THOROUGHLY screen all applicants and don't take anyone that has been evicted in the past 5 years; we don't take anyone that has a felony; we don't take anyone that has more than 2 misdemeanors or any drugs on their record in the past 3 years; and you must be able to show 3 time the rent in income." That takes almost exactly 20 seconds. Then, I shut up. Those that don't meet the criteria will often just say "thanks" or "I'll call you back" and hang up (many wasted showings avoided). Those that are interested will ask how they can schedule an appointment to see the property. If they saw my ad in the paper or via word of mouth, I tell them " drive by the house and if you like it, give me a call back." End of call. If they've already driven by the house, I ask when they want to see it and have them call me 20 minutes before the scheduled time. If they don't call, I don't go - PERIOD! If they just show up - too bad - I don't go. If they can't follow VERY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS like call me 20 minutes before we're scheduled to meet, I don't want the morons for tenants. Using this 20 minute call has cut down my no-shows to almost ZERO!

Mike

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Do as much phone screening as possible, so you waste less time on-site with the ones that are going to be rejected. Show it only to those that you feel will qualify.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Do as much phone screening as possible, so you waste less time on-site with the ones that are going to be rejected. Show it only to those that you feel will qualify.


    Yes. I could tell they were sketchy, and the last thing I wanted was for them to drive all the way up here from south Florida to see the place and then be irate with me because they didn't qualify.
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    No, it never gets easier because each one is a new person. I don't pay too much attention to credit, since I've exactly one tenant with decent credit and they ended up doing a midnight escape. But I do verify income. If they can't show income, they don't get in. I do verify evictions. If they have evictions they don't get in. If they have recent felonies or more than a couple misdemeanors they don't get in. I tell them this stuff on the phone.

    I also tell them to call me 30 minutes before the scheduled apt. I tell them I won't call them, and that if they don't call me, I won't be there.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jon Holdman:

    I also tell them to call me 30 minutes before the scheduled apt. I tell them I won't call them, and that if they don't call me, I won't be there.

    That sounds like a good idea. So far I've been lucky this time about people showing up.

    Another thing I've noticed, and there may be exceptions to this, but anyone who isn't already living in the area ends up being a waste of time.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    Jon, so you don't check credit at all?

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    LOL, today the husband or boyfriend of the woman from Lauderdale called me. The twist was that he wanted to pay me 3 months rent in cash up front to just let them move in without a screening. I put two and two together after the phone call, based on some details he told me, and realized it was the same group. They must be calling every ad in the city.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y

    I do check credit, but its always bad. You can't get actual scores without on-site inspections and paying a fee. The screening service I use just gives a red/yellow/green. They're always red.

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    "I also tell them to call me 30 minutes before the scheduled apt. I tell them I won't call them, and that if they don't call me, I won't be there":

    I tried this and 50% of the time if they do not call they show up. So annoying.
    I know when they are out looking they are looking at several properties at once and they get them all mixed up. Very disorganized people.

    It annoys me everyone is on their own time and they want to see it when it is convienant for them. I had five parties not show yesterday. And they all wanted to see my home so bad. haha

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jet_Speed:
    "I also tell them to call me 30 minutes before the scheduled apt. I tell them I won't call them, and that if they don't call me, I won't be there":

    I tried this and 50% of the time if they do not call they show up. So annoying.
    I know when they are out looking they are looking at several properties at once and they get them all mixed up. Very disorganized people.


    I was thinking of calling them a half hour before going over there. Maybe that would work better.

    Last night I had two different groups (one scheduled at 6PM, the other 7) both do a no show. I did some minor work at the house while waiting and put up a new bandit sign in the neighborhood after I left, but basically it was a waste of my time to be down there.

    Personally I think it's rude for them to just not to show up like that, but that seems to be the norm these days, so we have to adjust to it.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Yes, it definitely gets easier. The person that called you is a DEADBEAT! He/she/it doesn't pay it's bills and it is too lazy to work. I'd be willing to bet that they have just been evicted. I would not rent to them - case closed and EASY!

    I play a little game with phone calls from tenants. I try to make each call less than one minute. For example, someone calls about 123 Main Street:

    I say "it's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, all electric, and has just been painted. very nice. It's $500 per month and the security deposit is $525 IF you don't have any pets. We THOROUGHLY screen all applicants and don't take anyone that has been evicted in the past 5 years; we don't take anyone that has a felony; we don't take anyone that has more than 2 misdemeanors or any drugs on their record in the past 3 years; and you must be able to show 3 time the rent in income." That takes almost exactly 20 seconds. Then, I shut up. Those that don't meet the criteria will often just say "thanks" or "I'll call you back" and hang up (many wasted showings avoided). Those that are interested will ask how they can schedule an appointment to see the property. If they saw my ad in the paper or via word of mouth, I tell them " drive by the house and if you like it, give me a call back." End of call. If they've already driven by the house, I ask when they want to see it and have them call me 20 minutes before the scheduled time. If they don't call, I don't go - PERIOD! If they just show up - too bad - I don't go. If they can't follow VERY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS like call me 20 minutes before we're scheduled to meet, I don't want the morons for tenants. Using this 20 minute call has cut down my no-shows to almost ZERO!

    Mike

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    16y

    Mike, I'm curious to know how long it takes to fill vacancies this way. I can appreciate everything you said, but I feel if I put the call 20 minutes ahead thing out there, I'd never get a showing.

    As is, I explain all the income requirements and such (no felonys, no evictions) over the phone, and I let them know I will call them one hour prior to the showing (it takes me an hour to drive there). If they don't answer, i don't go. So far I've only had 1 no-show using this method, and he claimed to be within walking distance, lazy POS.

    How much advertising do you routinely do in order to keep the calls coming in?

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    Yes, it definitely gets easier. The person that called you is a DEADBEAT! He/she/it doesn't pay it's bills and it is too lazy to work. I'd be willing to bet that they have just been evicted. I would not rent to them - case closed and EASY!

    I play a little game with phone calls from tenants. I try to make each call less than one minute. For example, someone calls about 123 Main Street:

    I say "it's a 2 bedroom, 1 bath, all electric, and has just been painted. very nice. It's $500 per month and the security deposit is $525 IF you don't have any pets. We THOROUGHLY screen all applicants and don't take anyone that has been evicted in the past 5 years; we don't take anyone that has a felony; we don't take anyone that has more than 2 misdemeanors or any drugs on their record in the past 3 years; and you must be able to show 3 time the rent in income." That takes almost exactly 20 seconds. Then, I shut up. Those that don't meet the criteria will often just say "thanks" or "I'll call you back" and hang up (many wasted showings avoided). Those that are interested will ask how they can schedule an appointment to see the property. If they saw my ad in the paper or via word of mouth, I tell them " drive by the house and if you like it, give me a call back." End of call. If they've already driven by the house, I ask when they want to see it and have them call me 20 minutes before the scheduled time. If they don't call, I don't go - PERIOD! If they just show up - too bad - I don't go. If they can't follow VERY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS like call me 20 minutes before we're scheduled to meet, I don't want the morons for tenants. Using this 20 minute call has cut down my no-shows to almost ZERO!

    Mike


    I knew they were big trouble. I'll try my own version of your script next time someone calls. I'll probably call them before the meeting, though. I agree with Marc that they probably can't be relied upon to call me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:


    I was thinking of calling them a half hour before going over there. Maybe that would work better.

    Last night I had two different groups (one scheduled at 6PM, the other 7) both do a no show. I did some minor work at the house while waiting and put up a new bandit sign in the neighborhood after I left, but basically it was a waste of my time to be down there.

    Personally I think it's rude for them to just not to show up like that, but that seems to be the norm these days, so we have to adjust to it.


    This doesn't work. Do what Mike says. Tell them to call you. No call, don't go. I'm with Mike on this one. If they can't do as you say and call before the scheduled time, they will have trouble with other instructions. If by some chance they do some up, and call you to say "where are you", explain there were supposed to call. If you can still go, tell them to wait and you'll be there in XX minutes. If not, reschedule.
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    ...
    I was thinking of calling them a half hour before going over there. Maybe that would work better.

    Last night I had two different groups (one scheduled at 6PM, the other 7) both do a no show. I did some minor work at the house while waiting and put up a new bandit sign in the neighborhood after I left, but basically it was a waste of my time to be down there.

    Personally I think it's rude for them to just not to show up like that, but that seems to be the norm these days, so we have to adjust to it.


    Silly landlord :wink:

    There are a number of reasons that they don't call ahead of the meeting - and for those same reasons you shouldn't call them either.

    Did they realize that you were going to be more strict than they hoped?
    Did they get accepted at another place before the time of your appt, but after agreeing to that appt?

    Plus what Jon and MikeOH have said - the ability to follow simple instructions and write down the things they need to do is so vital; when they can't do those simple things, they aren't going to do too well filling out your application either, or getting rents paid on time, or putting trash out properly, etc.

    You should shorten the time for an appt as well, 1/2 hour should be more than enough to walk through the place. If they really want it and take more time, and the next prospect arrives ... then all the better for you.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Bienes Raices:
    ...
    I was thinking of calling them a half hour before going over there. Maybe that would work better.

    Last night I had two different groups (one scheduled at 6PM, the other 7) both do a no show. I did some minor work at the house while waiting and put up a new bandit sign in the neighborhood after I left, but basically it was a waste of my time to be down there.

    Personally I think it's rude for them to just not to show up like that, but that seems to be the norm these days, so we have to adjust to it.


    Silly landlord :wink:

    There are a number of reasons that they don't call ahead of the meeting - and for those same reasons you shouldn't call them either.

    Did they realize that you were going to be more strict than they hoped?
    Did they get accepted at another place before the time of your appt, but after agreeing to that appt?

    Plus what Jon and MikeOH have said - the ability to follow simple instructions and write down the things they need to do is so vital; when they can't do those simple things, they aren't going to do too well filling out your application either, or getting rents paid on time, or putting trash out properly, etc.


    You should shorten the time for an appt as well, 1/2 hour should be more than enough to walk through the place. If they really want it and take more time, and the next prospect arrives ... then all the better for you.


    Steve,
    Your right, I need to get a better system. I find the difficulty is finding a balance between being firm with them on the phone, and being too tough and turning them off. I'm going to try it the MikeOH way and see how that works.
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    16y

    Bienes,

    One other thing I will mention, and I mean no offense when I say this. From the number of posts you have made concerning your first rental, you sound nervous and eager to get it rented. Maybe too eager. And not confident enough in what you have done - if it is fixed up well, if it is clean, if it is priced properly, ... well then eventually you will find somebody who will take it. You just have to believe in it.

    Keep in mind that others in the BP forums have posted that their vacancies are taking longer to fill these days, so you have to kind of expect that it could be like that for you too. Combination of the economy, job less, housing availability, tenant creditworthiness - all those affect the rental market vacancy period.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Bienes,

    One other thing I will mention, and I mean no offense when I say this. From the number of posts you have made concerning your first rental, you sound nervous and eager to get it rented. Maybe too eager. And not confident enough in what you have done - if it is fixed up well, if it is clean, if it is priced properly, ... well then eventually you will find somebody who will take it. You just have to believe in it.

    Keep in mind that others in the BP forums have posted that their vacancies are taking longer to fill these days, so you have to kind of expect that it could be like that for you too. Combination of the economy, job less, housing availability, tenant creditworthiness - all those affect the rental market vacancy period.


    Steve,
    No I don't take offense at that. My anxiety has been mainly that it's going to be broken into while it's vacant, since it's a couple blocks from some pretty marginal neighborhoods. But it's been vacant for some time now, and that hasn't happened, so it's probably time to just calm down about that.
  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    When people call for your rental. Do you screen the calls and make them leave a voice mail or do you answer every call?

    I make them leave a vm.
    Cuz If I answer they just want to talk about it on and on..

    I am getting a lot of calls and many do not leave messages and they keep calling back with never leaving a vm. I cancel them out right away.

    In this economy people are even more flakier than I have seen prior.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I answer every call and keep the calls to less than one minute. You gain a big advantage over the competition by answering your phone. As I've said many times before, tenants have a 5 minute attention span. If they get a recording, many times they'll just hang up and go to the next number on their list. By answering the phone, you'll get many tenants that other landlords missed out on because they let their calls go to voicemail.

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    Went to show two properties tonight.

    Had all parties call for each property an hour before. Total of four parties.

    ALL FLAKED!

    Waste of an evening. Not even the calling an hour prior works.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y


    That's because an hour is WAY TOO LONG! You're violating the 5 minute rule, which says that tenants only have an attention span that lasts 5 minutes.

    When I have them call 15 or 20 minutes before their appointment, they call and then must get in the car and leave for the appointment within 5 minutes (before they get distracted). When you have them call an hour before the appointment, all kinds of things can creep into their empty little heads and cause their memory of your appointment to vanish. Brains the size of a pea can be clogged up by almost anything!

    If you live an hour away, then you'll need to have them call an hour ahead. If you live closer, then have them call a lot later, preferrably 10 to 20 minutes from your appointment time.

    Good Luck,

    Mike
  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jet_Speed:
    Went to show two properties tonight.

    Had all parties call for each property an hour before. Total of four parties.

    ALL FLAKED!

    Waste of an evening. Not even the calling an hour prior works.





    Wow Jetspeed. That's really annoying. I had one who was scheduled to show up at 5PM. She called me at 5 telling me the traffic was terrible, could she come at 6PM. I was annoyed, but because of the town she was coming from, I thought her story could be plausible, and I had someone else coming at 5:15. So I (naively) waited in the vacant house with nothing to do and my thumb up my butt until 6:15 and she never showed up or called.

    Near the end, I started grouping them very close together, and I wasted a lot less of my time. I no longer cared whether there were two groups in the house at the same time. I think MikeOh's suggestion about calling 15 minutes before is good too.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I have my applicants call an hour before to confirm. It does no good to call them to confirm, because they'll tell you yes on the phone and still not show up. If they take the initiative to call, you can be 90% certain they'll show up.

    I schedule all the appointments for a specific day at the same time. People tend to be late anyway, and it actually helps for them to see the competition.

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    Haha, Mike you nailed it! "Brain Size of a Pea"
    I been trying to figure out renters I think I just did (:

    I discounted my properties $300/month for the economy and the handful of people who came to see it are not budging. I followed up with ones who liked them but could not make a decision and found out they are not moving. I have the nicest, cleanest, biggest, less expensive rentals in town and no one is calling.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jet_Speed:
    Haha, Mike you nailed it! "Brain Size of a Pea"
    I been trying to figure out renters I think I just did (:

    I discounted my properties $300/month for the economy and the handful of people who came to see it are not budging. I followed up with ones who liked them but could not make a decision and found out they are not moving. I have the nicest, cleanest, biggest, less expensive rentals in town and no one is calling.


    I seemed to get better quality applicants once I dropped the price $100.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.