I am a new Landlord and would love advice

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    9y

    I wrote this article a while back on the most important aspects of property management, I hope it helps: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/05/25/5-dominate-property-management/

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Study and learn you state landlord tenant regulations. This is the most important aspect regarding the operation of your business. Not knowing the laws can and likely will place you in front of a judge facing tenant allegations.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Yes, Download the landlord tenant laws for your state... see if Ohio has a landlord association you can join.  Know your fair housing laws and be diligent in how you run your business. 

    Being ignorant of the laws doesn't count.. 

    Good luck

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    Congrats@Sterling Jackson on the purchase! In my very short 15 months of landlording, the one thing I have learned is to have a set of values on how you want to run your "business" and stick to them no matter what. Don't let anyone push you around and show tenants you actually care about their well being and you will be golden! Best of luck!

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    Just google Ohio landlord tenant laws and read all about them.  Also research your local laws as well.  Make sure you know eviction process because there will most likely come a day when you have to do one.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Blacklick, OH · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    I am in the same boat, and yes I agree read those laws, I have been a landlord since 4/1/17 and its been a few issues already. Good luck.

  • Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Thank you everyone!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Treat it as a business, it is not personal so keep the tenant/landlord emotions out of it. Property management can make or break your business so be sure you know what you are doing there and if you hire a PM, make sure you stay on top of them and be tough but fair.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.