Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
I just got a call and a picture from a tenant that a tree branch fell on the roof, part of the branch is still loosely attached to the main trunk of the tree.
The branch itself is the size of a small tree with the diameter of the branch around 15" or so.
I am heading up to take a look now, but wanted to post this as I figure my options.
Can I get a landscape company to come remove the branch immediately or do I need to get the insurance company out first?
I know there are complicated rules on insurance depending on the nature of the failure...if it's caused by lack of maintenance but if it's a lighting strike it may? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
9y
What's your annual insurance deductable? If you file a claim but insurance only covers 100 out of the cost after your deductible it might not be worth it. In those cases people might just pay out of pocket and not file a claim so insurance history keeps cleaner.
If you have trees that close to your property you might want a trim back or certain trees removed from your property. Trees to close the limbs can fall on the roof, in a storm the tree itself can be pushed into the house and fall over, animals can crawl from the tree to the roof and get in the attic and walls, the tree roots can go under the foundation of the house or sidewalk and start buckling things or the tree roots can possibly break into your water supply pipes.
If the branch is large enough you could have larger roof or structure damage. Roofing/tree company generally handles this stuff and not a landscaper.
Anyone taking down trees needs to be a professional and fully bonded and insured with workman's comp.
Investor · United States · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 487 votes
9y
Take tons of photos at every step.
As for whether or not to involve insurance, it all depends on how bad the damage is. You'll be paying the first $500 or $1000 anyway (whatever your deductible is), so you'll only need insurance if there's significant damage.
Gotta love those "acts of god"... and on a Sunday!
Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
9y
@Joel, the tree is about 10' from the house and cannot be removed. It's protected and it's huge. It's base diameter is like 7 feet. I do have it pruned back periodically.
When I say landscaper I don't mean a lawn mower guy I mean a landscaping company with bucket trucks etc and licensed to do trees. Most tree companies here are "XYZ landscape co".
I think, I am not sure, but I have to do some research. Last time I pruned, I had to pay an arborist to file a permit. To prune that tree, the city require a pruning permit, the permit application requires the signature of a licensed arborist (from a list of approved Baptist's not just any) who charge me $500 to come look at the tree and sketch up a pruning diagram for the permit, then you wait for weeks to be approved, then you pay for the actual pruning.
Although I don't know if that rule applies if there is cause for immediate attention.