Trying painting floors - will let you know.

Trying painting floors - will let you know.

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Ok, I've just finished tearing out yet another piece of perfectly good carpet that was completely destroyed by an idiot tenant for no reason whatsoever. I'm giving painting these wood floors a shot to see if I can rent these things with painted wood floors instead of carpeting. The units go for about $475 a month for a 1 bed apartment. I'll have this thing ready before the weekend. If I can re-rent this thing in 2 weeks then I don't think I'll ever buy a roll of carpet again.

I'll let you know how it goes. I have a house I'm working on that goes for about 600 a month that I'm going to try this in 2 rooms as well. Again, will let you know.

0Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
16y

Try rustoleum in grey or green. I use it in hallways.

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Hey Mike, yeah it's water and unfortunately already bought. Maybe they'll let me return it. It's getting harder to find the oil based it seems.

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    Paint Tip:

    I go to the best paint store and ask for mistints. They will take you to the back room where they have cans and cans of paint that is toxic waste and will usually be happy to give it to you for free.

    You can mix different colors for a color you want.

    I have painted 3 units with mistint top of the line paint for free.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    That will work for wall paint. Floor paint, in general, tends to be pre-mixed. Oil base floor paint is always pre-mixed that I've seen.

    In my case though, I'm moving everything I own to standard flat white Kilz for walls and ceilings. That way, eventually all I have to carry is one bucket of flat white kilz and I can touch up anything anywhere. That's the theory. Getting there.

  • Real Estate Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2010 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Hey guys, I created a gallery of the genuine, bonafide European Style Wood Floors straight from the Black Forests of Bavaria in a photo album. Click on my profile to take a look at them. I'm happy with how they turned out. Looks very clean.

    GALLERY LINK


    Hi Tim, I love how the floors came out, it seems like an inexpensive way to make the floors look great. If necessary this is definitely something to consider doing.
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I'm finding a lot of benefits to them. Cheaper, easier, faster, cleaner (carpet is NASTY), and better for the environment. Changing carpet in a 1 bedroom apartment creates six 50 gallon bags of petroleum based product landfill waste. The first coat of painting creates 3 empty one gallon cans - and that was 2 coats on the first painting of floor. There are ways to be environmentally conscious without putting everyone around you on a guilt trip or putting yourself out of business setting up a $50,000 solar system to run a light bulb.

  • Real Estate Investor · Amarillo, TX · Member since 2008 · 547 posts · 214 votes
    16y

    Tim-
    I'll second that "walmart" water based floor paint is trash.. even if its not returnable its probablly not worth taking the time to use it.. The oil base is so much easier.. I also went with the oil base from lowes, and also went with a darker color, but it does show dirt pretty bad, think imma go with a color closer to yours next time.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    Still doing paint on the floors? Have you tried adding a few coats of poly to keep it from wearing?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Josh Arkle:

    Still doing paint on the floors? Have you tried adding a few coats of poly to keep it from wearing?


    Sold all that real estate.  Moved to Florida.  Married a beautiful Brazilian.  Did grad school.  Had kids.  I now live in a house that is worth than all that real estate combined and make more in half an hour of consulting than each of these units made me in a month in net profit.  I still invest in cashflow, but paper now.  Land lording was a season in my life, not a destination.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Timothy W.:
    Quote from @Josh Arkle:

    Still doing paint on the floors? Have you tried adding a few coats of poly to keep it from wearing?


    Sold all that real estate.  Moved to Florida.  Married a beautiful Brazilian.  Did grad school.  Had kids.  I now live in a house that is worth than all that real estate combined and make more in half an hour of consulting than each of these units made me in a month in net profit.  I still invest in cashflow, but paper now.  Land lording was a season in my life, not a destination.

    Lol! So.... Did you poly after painting?   😀 
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Rustoleum. holding up nice for 5 years now. Couple scratches, easy fix.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Josh Arkle:
    Quote from @Timothy W.:
    Quote from @Josh Arkle:

    Still doing paint on the floors? Have you tried adding a few coats of poly to keep it from wearing?


    Sold all that real estate.  Moved to Florida.  Married a beautiful Brazilian.  Did grad school.  Had kids.  I now live in a house that is worth than all that real estate combined and make more in half an hour of consulting than each of these units made me in a month in net profit.  I still invest in cashflow, but paper now.  Land lording was a season in my life, not a destination.

    Lol! So.... Did you poly after painting?   😀 

    Nope.  I margarita'd after noon.  LOL  Just kidding.  A buddy tested epoxy and that was the best.  We do that down here too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.