Trying painting floors - will let you know.

Trying painting floors - will let you know.

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Ok, I've just finished tearing out yet another piece of perfectly good carpet that was completely destroyed by an idiot tenant for no reason whatsoever. I'm giving painting these wood floors a shot to see if I can rent these things with painted wood floors instead of carpeting. The units go for about $475 a month for a 1 bed apartment. I'll have this thing ready before the weekend. If I can re-rent this thing in 2 weeks then I don't think I'll ever buy a roll of carpet again.

I'll let you know how it goes. I have a house I'm working on that goes for about 600 a month that I'm going to try this in 2 rooms as well. Again, will let you know.

0Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
16y

Try rustoleum in grey or green. I use it in hallways.

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2008 · 131 posts · 17 votes
    16y

    What type of paint are you using? Epoxy?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    No. Floor paint. They make paint specifically for floors.

    I'm going to put in my ad that it's "European Style Wood Floors". People have no friggin' clue what "European style" means but it sounds good.

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    Haha Awesome!

    Do you mind posting a picture of the finished "European Style Wood Floors"?

  • Real Estate Investor · Elkhorn, WI · Member since 2008 · 453 posts · 104 votes
    16y

    Tim,

    I've used it on my $950 houses, and they love it. When you put a fresh coat on it's nice and shiny.

    one thing I learned...that oil based paint takes a while to fully cure. Dries to the touch in about 8 hours, but takes 30 days or so to fully cure. It scratches really easy during that time.

    -Rich

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    16y

    Tim:

    I use brown porch enamel from Lowes in a couple of my low-income rentals. They love it.

    And hey, I put it down in a high-end college rental ($1600/month) with no complaints, either.

    Like Rich says it takes a while to cure but rolling out a new coat between tenants is a snap and it does 'pop'.

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    16y

    Try rustoleum in grey or green. I use it in hallways.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    16y

    "European Style Wood Floors" I love it. Will have try that on my next vacancy.First thing I do to a new rental is tear out the carpet and I have never had any complaints.

  • Rental Property Investor · Lisbon, CT · Member since 2008 · 120 posts · 29 votes
    16y

    Sounds like you rent to neanderthals.
    Why do you suspect it is so easy for them to mistreat their carpets?

    Low income does not have to mean filthy pigs, does it? Is this section 8?

    -Maybe it is what I am accustomed to but I haven't seen rentals with exposed subfloors even in my low-income neighborhoods ($500/mo).

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Ryan A.:
    Sounds like you rent to neanderthals.


    Sounds like you have never rented to people with children.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    16y

    Exactly Tim! You can't rely on these people to change the battery in their smoke detectors, let alone keep a carpet clean. Too much headache. Pull the carpet, pull tack strip and freaking staples and if you can, wax the hardwood several times, if it's too far gone, paint the sucker. Let them buy floor rugs, if they don't like the wood floors. Keep in mind, I also allow small pets, cats and dogs. You can get a lot more in rent and sometimes better tenants if you allow pets.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    That's one thing that occurred to me Tom. The only reason I didn't allow pets before was carpets. Now it's a nonissue. BTW - the project got delayed until today. I should still be able to rent it before the first though. I'll get pictures here as soon as I can.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    I haven't laughed that hard all week. European Style Wood Floors. I love it.

    I'm assuming you are talking about wood floors (like hardwood) not plywood or OSB? Or would you paint them too? I can't imagine particle board looking good painted.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Yes, I'm sure that Tim is talking about wood floors, not plywood or OSB. I've been painting my wood floors for years and as the other said - THEY LOOK GREAT! However, the best part is that it takes about 30 minutes to roll on a new layer of paint between tenants.

    Carpet in a can - gotta love it!

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Yeah all my houses were built before the invention of plywood so it's some combination of hard and soft wood floors.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Hey guys, I created a gallery of the genuine, bonafide European Style Wood Floors straight from the Black Forests of Bavaria in a photo album. Click on my profile to take a look at them. I'm happy with how they turned out. Looks very clean.

    GALLERY LINK

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    16y

    They look great Tim! I might have to try that when my college kids move out this month.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 86 votes
    16y

    Looks good Tim. I usually go with a little darker color. I believe it's a Walnut brown, MikeOh recommended it. Looks nice.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I'll look into that Tom. The color I went with was "thecheapest". Found another cheaper floor paint at Walmart last night. 14 bucks a gallon. Will try that on another unit.

  • Real Estate Investor · IN · Member since 2010 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    16y

    Tim, your floors turned out nice.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Thank. I ran back to Lowe's today for some 1" quarter round shoe. Decided to put some of that down around the perimeter.

  • Real Estate Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2009 · 86 posts · 39 votes
    16y

    Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to paint instead of sanding and refinishing? Was it the cost?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Cost, tools involved and time involved. Plus it wouldn't have looked as even with the different types of wood.

  • Real Estate Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    Awesome Tim!

    Thanks for the pictures.

    You should start an importing supply chain from Europe for that flooring!

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Tim, if the Walmart paint is water based - I'd pass. It's almost worthless for floors (been there, done that, made that mistake). I've used oil-based floor paint from Walmart and Menards and both of those were fine.

  • Commercial Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2008 · 114 posts · 15 votes
    16y

    How does the floor paint hold up over time?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.