Can a Chicago Landlord ask a potential tenants immigration status

Can a Chicago Landlord ask a potential tenants immigration status

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 5 votes

I have a possible tenant that called and asked if they can apply if they only have an ITIN number and no SSN.  Does anyone know if it would be a violation of any Illinois, Federal or Chicago laws to find out if they have a visa of any kind or are here illegally?

Mostly, I won't be able to do a credit report or background check, but if they have a valid visa from the US they have already passed some amount of background screening for entry to the country, if they have not got a visa then I would be out of luck other than doing a background check with name and DOB which could be difficult.

Anyone have any experience renting to people in this situation or advice on whether to/not to consider this type of applicant?

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

Simple.... we require credit check and to do that a Soc Sec Number is needed,, we do not accept co-signers so if this works for you, your free to apply.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    9y

    Ask your credit check company.  Mine requires a SSN.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 160 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    @Adam Sporinsky..may be you can ask them to have someone in their family with SSN to apply? But yeah with valid visa I would think they have passed immigration screening at the US consulate already. I would think they have to have valid visa to stay in the country. And if they work here then they will have a SSN. So make sure to ask for copies of passport, visa, I-94 etc..again, I'm not an immigration attorney, just few things to consider I guess.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Simple.... we require credit check and to do that a Soc Sec Number is needed,, we do not accept co-signers so if this works for you, your free to apply.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 397 posts · 161 votes
    9y

    @Adam Sporinsky be careful as here is a good document as this question was brought up on another topic the other day:

    http://www.equalhousing.org/wp-content/uploads/201...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.