Renter Screening - Pre Form

Renter Screening - Pre Form

Rental Property Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 33 votes

Good Morning Everyone,

I am about to close on my first SFH in Roxborough Philadelphia this September. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have been scouring the boards trying to learn as much as possible, when it comes to being a Landlord. My biggest fear is I get a nightmare tenant and I want to make sure I do everything possible to try and weed out the bad ones. I got this idea from another poster and thought it was a great idea. They stated that before they show a tenant a property and have them fill out an application. They make them take a Pre-Screening Survey. All done through Google Forms, which is free. I have put my own survey together and want to know if I am violating any FHA laws or illegal requests. If a tenant fills this out and meets my initial requirements. Mainly having a credit score over 600, 3x monthly income, no felonies, no evictions etc. I am then willing to setup a appointment to show them the property and move forward with the screening process. I would appreciate everyone's feedback on it. Letting me know if I need to make changes to my survey, if I am breaking any laws or if this is a smart way to pre-screen tenants through the screening process. Below is the link to my survery:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3d4rV-g... 

Looking forward to some feedback,

Kevin 

2Reply
185 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Windsor, CT · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 10 votes
5y

Great discussion here. I have a similar pre-screen form at https://docs.google.com/forms/...

Appreciate if you guys can take a look and provide some feedback.

Also, do you guys respond to people who filled out your pre-screen questionnaire, but did not meet all of your criteria as a courtesy or you do not? 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Kevin H. Looks good. You will tailor it as you learn more about the process but on the surface its a good start. good luck

  • Attorney · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Kevin H.

    I think you are definitely on the right track! 

    Do note that HUD and the Department of Justice issued a memo (maybe about a year ago) about whether you could use felonies as a means to screen tenants. There are a lot of subtle nuances, but you may want to revisit that memo if you haven't before.

    Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it as legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @Kevin H. , one tip I've seen is to not ask IF they have pets, but HOW MANY pets they have. 

    What @Chris K. is referring to was, at the time, a "suggestion" from HUD. As of right now, it isn't a requirement, but look into it anyway to cover your backside...

  • Specialist · Fredericktown, PA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    The screening looks good. My personal opinion, I would change the security deposit question to say, " Do you have the XXXX.XX amount needed for security deposit?" Removing the first and last months rent wording from the form. Reason being is the tenant will think the security deposit can be applied to rent. If your tenant owes you more than the security deposit for damages, they may expect a credit on their rent. I like to segregate the two, rent and security deposit.
  • Rental Property Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 33 votes
    9y
    Thanks for your suggestions, there are so many laws and protections for tenants. That I want to try and find a tenant that will hopefully pay on time and take care of my property. Without me discriminating or doing something illegal. Appreciate everyone's help. Kevin
  • Vendor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    Just another thought on this topic. 
    This last time I had an open rental I did something different. People would contact me via Trulia and the request would come through e-mail. I would reply with a canned message stating that I was glad they were interested. I would be happy to show them the place and open them for consideration. However, before doing so, I asked them to "pre-qualify" THEMSELVES. I sent them my criteria. It is a list of about 25 items and includes credit minimums, statements of no pets, all the normal items. I would simply ask them to read through the items so that they would know before coming to see the property if they qualified. 

    It worked out great. The only people I had to spend more than 1 minute on dropped by a huge number. I got about 50 e-mails asking to come see. After seeing the list of criteria, only about 5 contacted me again. I had 5 really great pre-qualified candidates that I could focus my time on. 

    Worked out fantastic.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 507 posts · 171 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Kevin H.:

    Good Morning Everyone,

    I am about to close on my first SFH in Roxborough Philadelphia this September. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have been scouring the boards trying to learn as much as possible, when it comes to being a Landlord. My biggest fear is I get a nightmare tenant and I want to make sure I do everything possible to try and weed out the bad ones. I got this idea from another poster and thought it was a great idea. They stated that before they show a tenant a property and have them fill out an application. They make them take a Pre-Screening Survey. All done through Google Forms, which is free. I have put my own survey together and want to know if I am violating any FHA laws or illegal requests. If a tenant fills this out and meets my initial requirements. Mainly having a credit score over 600, 3x monthly income, no felonies, no evictions etc. I am then willing to setup a appointment to show them the property and move forward with the screening process. I would appreciate everyone's feedback on it. Letting me know if I need to make changes to my survey, if I am breaking any laws or if this is a smart way to pre-screen tenants through the screening process. Below is the link to my survery:

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd3d4rV-g...

    Looking forward to some feedback,

    Kevin 

     Looks simple and to the point! I'll probably be using this as a template for me in the near future.

    How did you come up with the income ranges? Why not ask for their actual monthly income?

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 273 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    This is a great idea! I've heard of lots of people asking pre-screening questions over the phone before inviting the tenant to apply, but this is much more efficient! Another quick way to pre-screen is to walk applicants to their car. This gives you a better idea of how they will treat your home, if it is filthy and full of trash that is a big red flag! 

     I am glad to see you are being so cautious with screening. It is the most important part of landlording! Your prescreening along with a background, credit, and eviction report should minimize your risk of a nightmare tenant. Don't forget to call previous landlords and call for employment verification as well!

    Good luck to you! 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 507 posts · 171 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jenifer Kynor:

    This is a great idea! I've heard of lots of people asking pre-screening questions over the phone before inviting the tenant to apply, but this is much more efficient! <b>Another quick way to pre-screen is to walk applicants to their car. This gives you a better idea of how they will treat your home, if it is filthy and full of trash that is a big red flag! </b>

     I am glad to see you are being so cautious with screening. It is the most important part of landlording! Your prescreening along with a background, credit, and eviction report should minimize your risk of a nightmare tenant. Don't forget to call previous landlords and call for employment verification as well!

    Good luck to you! 

     Excellent idea! I've always believed that seeing how one takes care of their car is a good indication of their character. After all, a vehicle is USUALLY one the largest purchase a person makes aside from a house. My opinion though...

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 273 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Phu I completely agree. If an individual owns their vehicle and does not treat it with care, I can only imagine how they would treat my rental property. I firmly believe it is a good indicator of character. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 33 votes
    9y

    @Kevin Phu @Jenifer Kynor Thanks Kevin, I made that update in the doc.  I am shooting for 3X their monthly income.  I was initially shooting for a monthly number, due to having college students or recent grads applying.  Where they will be splitting rent with two other people.  So the 3X  income would vary and someone who wouldn't qualify on their own.  May qualify with 2 other people.  That's a great point on checking out their car.  I never considered that aspect of pre-screening.  I appreciate everyone's feedback.

    Kevin 

  • Property Manager · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 515 posts · 196 votes
    9y
    @Jenifer Kynor Brilliant! Stealing it!
  • Lender · Tualatin, OR · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    @Kevin H.   

    I had a recent vacancy, and created my own form.  Thanks for the tip! It works and does save some time!

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_gTVoz5peQ1Krw5t0...

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Kevin H. I like the form idea, it is very concise and efficient. 

    @Jenifer Kynor love this idea as well. I had a friend years ago that was an otherwise great person but treated his car like a bird cage (literally, he had chewed sunflower seeds all over the car). He also treated his apartments like trash, but if you met him on the street and spoke with him you would have no idea what kind of sloppy renter he actually was.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 273 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    @Ryan V. That's a really great example! I originally heard of the idea from employers when interviewing, but I think it applies more in this type of situation! 

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    @Kevin H. Hi Kevin, When you have a moment can you please send me a copy of your pre screening form. I’ll like to use it for my property. Please note I’m a first time landlord as well. Thank you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2017 · 51 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Josh Williams if you give me your email address I’ll forward it to you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Windsor, CT · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Great discussion here. I have a similar pre-screen form at https://docs.google.com/forms/...

    Appreciate if you guys can take a look and provide some feedback.

    Also, do you guys respond to people who filled out your pre-screen questionnaire, but did not meet all of your criteria as a courtesy or you do not? 

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    Hello 

    Thank you this google doc screening is great! Question how can I create my own and have it sent to me directly from prospects for my property? 

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    @Vanesa Tapia You can create your own Google Form here: https://www.google.com/forms/about/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.