• Virginia
Votes |
How do you handle this? Student tenants lease signing

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Posted Aug 26 2017, 09:54

Hi guys:

I recently purchased my first larger student rental SFH. Each housemate and guarantor, if needed, signed the lease with joint and several responsibility for the whole property.

But during the lease signing period before move-in, there was a lot of switching around.  The first student and parent approached me, were qualified and signed a lease.  At that time two other students and parents applied and verbally stated that they were signing so the lease listed three tenants and three guarantors.  Students #2 and #3 then changed their minds so signed Student #1 found a replacement Student #2a and Student #3a.  Student #2a and guarantor signed a lease with Student #1, #2a and #3a and guarantors listed.  Then Student #3a dropped out.  On and on...

In the end every tenant and guarantor signed a lease but only the very last tenant and guarantor to sign have the correct people listed as tenants and guarantors.  So my questions-

1) What do you all do in this situation?  Do you have everyone signed an addendum with the updated tenants and guarantors?  

2) Do you have any suggestions for how to make this housemate selection process go more smoothly around lease signing?  There is only about six weeks in my area before the lease signing period for 2018-2019 school year starts and I want to be prepared.

Thanks for your help!

Loading replies...