What do your unit turnovers actually cost?

What do your unit turnovers actually cost?

Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 90 posts · 28 votes
When you are turning over a unit after a tenant moves out, what does it actually cost you on average? I know we budget X percentage, but I'm curious what others are actually paying. We have 2 four plexes that are C properties. Every time someone moves out we have to fix holes in the wall. Also, I just found out, when they move out, they leave all their crap behind for us to clean out. That includes furniture, food, etc. Cleaning all their junk is a large portion of the time and cost, because their furniture has to be hauled off to the dump. Our average turnover is about $1500.
0Reply
36 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Hi, other than wear and tear, you should be able to take a lot of it from their deposit so it doesn't actually cost "you" too much. I usually ask the other tenants if they want the unopened food and furniture before I move everything else out. Then I hire a company to pickup the excess trash and use their deposit to pay for it.

    I try to have a detailed move-in checklist with pictures so that they can't argue too much when I need to use their deposits.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes
    9y

    @Larry H.
    $1000-$2000 per unit seems pretty standard for me.  Like @Denis F. said though, you can take some/all from their deposit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.