This house has no takers

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Apopka, FL · Member since 2013 · 155 posts · 62 votes
9y

Assuming that is close to market rate

It looks like there is a fence around the back yard?  I know folks will disagree but if it would me I would not only allow I would market to dog owners (I don't do cats).  If you reserve the right to meet / approve the dog I've found this opens up an entire new market.

I look at it this way....with the exception of college I've never been without a dog...and I would have been a good tenant.

I think that is your ticket...but no cats.

b

See this reply in the discussion

61 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2008 · 946 posts · 153 votes
    9y

    @shaun c :I bought this house for $11K and put $10K into it.

    We picked up a used white fridge that is now in kitchen. I am reading my manual  for my new Canon camera so I can take new pics.

    There is no way I am going to spring for new appliances for this house. I will sell first. 

    The last prospective tenants I had a showing with were indicative of the area. The wife was very happy she was on SSI and she was doing all she could to get her daughter on it. BTW she could not read or write. The husband was covered in tattoos on his head, arms, and legs. The reason my wording seems harsh is because most prospective tenants continue to ask me questions already covered in my ad. "I am sure your dog is special, but we don't accept pets".  "No I won't take only $300.00 a month for rent." " I understand you have a medical marijuana card but we don't  allow smoking. "etc

  • Investor · Lee's Summit, MO · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Allowing pets will double your market.

  • Investor · Lee's Summit, MO · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Make sure you charge a pet deposit and non refundable cleaning fee though.

  • Investor · Crystal, MN · Member since 2013 · 486 posts · 277 votes
    9y

    @Mark Forest

    The info you get when you subscribe is more detailed, and you didn't include the address in your ad.  You got the general feedback.  When you subscribe, you get rents in your immediate neighborhood, for 12 months, 18 months, and 24 months.  I think you get a free preview period.  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    How are you making out? Aside from the fridge what did you do? For your comment on the tatoos I have to say, its a norm now, the 20-30 crowd has tons of them. Like it or not It's a style not the indicator it may have been in the past.
  • Real Estate Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2008 · 946 posts · 153 votes
    9y

    The new fridge is now in the pictures. My camera has a learning curve, but I think the pictures are better. We have talked to a couple who claim they can meet our criteria, so I have not yet deleted the deposit and income requirements. 

    Yes I know tattoos are pervasive, but this guy appeared to have them on his entire torso. I have found that extreme over the top people make bad tenants. This guy gives off a vibe that sends up red flags for me.

    I will probably end up selling this one. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2008 · 946 posts · 153 votes
    9y

    This experience further convinced me that multi family apartments are the way to go.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    A few photos are slightly blurry. A few are too dark. I use Photoscape to edit my photos (it's free) but you can use any decent photo editing software to crop and lighten photos so they're not too dark.

    Not knowing your area, aside from that, the place looks nice and clean and well-kept. 

    I would add (Spacious backyard with 10X20 shed) for extra storage of your things. 

    I don't know what it is but the word STORAGE triggers something within a prospective tenant - they love it. 

  • Investor · Central, AR · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Mark Forest The new photos are much better. I think the $862 deposit is probably your biggest hold up. Good luck! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.