Tenants Who Pay a Full Year Upfront

Tenants Who Pay a Full Year Upfront

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes

Are bad news, according to nearly every experienced landlord I've seen chime in on these types of threads. 

However, it seems that many newbie investors (some with even less than my three years experience) like to chime in and talk about how great a deal landlords get when the tenants pay in full upfront. These types of replies got a lot of "votes" in a recent forum thread, implying that the community agrees with that sentiment, while more reserved opinions regarding the matter of accepting large amounts of rent upfront in order to overlook certain applicant weaknesses got much less love.

So, this thread is for experienced landlords. Can anyone relate personal stories, or anecdotes based on REAL EXPERIENCE, regarding tenants that are at least one full year old, regarding accepting rent upfront? 

I'd like to hear them. 

And, it's perfectly fair to say, "I had a tenant pay in full upfront because of X, Y, and Z. That tenant never gave me a problem, and I enjoyed the rent in full upfront, and they still live there problem free today several (more than 1) years later)." That would prove me wrong and the other enthusastic newbies right - that this is a perfectly reasonable way of doing business, with excellent outcomes for all involved.

But I bet not.

This discussion is triggered by another thread, " Would You Rent To This Applicant". A couple of investors with little more experience than myself seem to dismiss the caution of experienced investors that had some wisdom to share and "vote" for replies posted by newer investors that may not have had a full run with accepting a year of rent upfront.

My opinion: I listen to my elders on this one and would refuse basically any instance where a tenant offered to pay a full year upfront. My criteria for income, credit, and criminal background are quite reasonable for the area I operate in, and I am not willing to bend them. Any time a tenant offers to pay a year upfront is a huge red flag, even if they otherwise meet my criteria. 

15Reply
640 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

I have an experience with this.  My step mom is an immigrant and when she came here and married my Dad they never thought of building her credit.  So when he passed away years later she had literally no credit and wanted to live closer to work, her income did not qualify either but her cash on hand was plenty.  So to convince landlords to take her we offered to pay for the year in advance and I showed them my credit report and offered to cosign.

That was 5 years ago, she still live in the building (condo) but with a different landlord.  Never missed rent   

See this reply in the discussion

103 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 382 votes
    4y

    @Scott Trench What can you say? The newbie's don't want to listen and that is just fine with me! They want to do what sounds great, feels good and/or all the likes (votes) I'm getting. I say, go for it newbies!!! I love these types of people. Our first over/under duplex was from a landlord that didn't screen his tenants, let alone do any pre-screening. In the end his units were trashed, it was more headaches then he could handle and he was losing a lot of money.

    We bought it in 2015 for $100K put in $25k and it's worth about $250K+ today. Rents are above market rates because our units are in great condition compared to what's around. This property currently as a 42% profit and yes I'm smiling all the way to the bank.

    We're looking for our next feel good, sound good, I'm over all the BS of being a landlord, property owner. So keep up the good work newbies and don't listen to anything that more seasoned investors have to say. Just do what feels good.

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tim Miller:

    @Scott Trench What can you say? The newbie's don't want to listen and that is just fine with me! They want to do what sounds great, feels good and/or all the likes (votes) I'm getting. I say, go for it newbies!!! I love these types of people. Our first over/under duplex was from a landlord that didn't screen his tenants, let alone do any pre-screening. In the end his units were trashed, it was more headaches then he could handle and he was losing a lot of money.

    We bought it in 2015 for $100K put in $25k and it's worth about $250K+ today. Rents are above market rates because our units are in great condition compared to what's around. This property currently as a 42% profit and yes I'm smiling all the way to the bank.

    We're looking for our next feel good, sound good, I'm over all the BS of being a landlord, property owner. So keep up the good work newbies and don't listen to anything that more seasoned investors have to say. Just do what feels good.


     To any newbies listening, don't do it. I learned the hard way. Even if they pay, dealing with their attitudes and issues just isn't worth it. And really there's more disadvantage than advantage. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.