Tenant says he got injured on my property

Tenant says he got injured on my property

Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes

I just purchased my first multi unit a few months ago. This week one of my tenants texted me saying they he injured himself on steps due to one of the step giving way. I haven't seen him yet. He claims he called the ambulance and was in the hospital for a week. I sent someone to check on him but they couldn't get in. He claims that he can't move to get to the door. I don't really believe him but I want to make sure I handle this situation properly. If anyone can give me some advice on this situation I would greatly appreciate it. 

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y

1) Call your insurance company and tell them a tenant reported an injury. Ask insurance company (who will be representing you if tenant sues) if they have a contact for the tenant and/or if you should discuss the matter at all.

2) In my city you can look up police reports by address, if that is available put in the address and see if there was a report.

3) Let your insurance company deal with it.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    8y

    If he went to the hospital they probably took a blood test for alcohol or drugs. Have you seen the step to see if it was broken? Have you seen a police report? Is he making a claim against your insurance?

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    1) Call your insurance company and tell them a tenant reported an injury. Ask insurance company (who will be representing you if tenant sues) if they have a contact for the tenant and/or if you should discuss the matter at all.

    2) In my city you can look up police reports by address, if that is available put in the address and see if there was a report.

    3) Let your insurance company deal with it.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Ray Harrell I haven't seen a police report and he hasn't said anything about filling a claim against my insurance. I seen a picture of the step and it looks like a chunk feel off but I haven't seen any evidence of injury yet.
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Jill F. thanks, I will contact my insurance. I'm in Chicago, I don't know if I can look up the reports
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    So what does the step look like??? Why would there be a police report? Although, check to see if he was involved in any Other police report that day. Call your insurance co.
  • Rental Property Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    These rare occasions show the value of having assets held in limited liability entities. Contacting your insurance carrier is a great first step. I imagine they will want you to help provide them with information so they can do their job and assess the viability of any claims.
  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Trevor,

    Make sure to document everything, his first notification to you of the incident, picture of the steps, and picture LOS you took or any inspections you had performed on the property before closing etc... make sure that you have contacted your insurance company immediately, they will assign someone to your file and take care of everything from this point. Don’t stress over it, let them handle it

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thanks everyone for the help. I will let the insurance company held everything.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.