Was I overcharged for cleaning fee deducted from my sec deposit?

Was I overcharged for cleaning fee deducted from my sec deposit?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
Hello!

I just moved out of my apartment of 12 years in Hollywood and was charged $275 cleaning fee on my $1,050 sec deposit. I feel it's a bit steep under the circumstances. But, frankly, I'm not sure. And neither was it itemized. But I'd like the forum's advice/input.

The facts:
- I'd resided at the apt for 12.5 years.

- I got the apartment clean and damage-free. I only put normal wear on it during my stay, with no damages.

- I spent hours cleaning it before moving. I believe I cleaned all living spaces as well as one could, minus normal wear (nail/tack holes in walls, nicks, light staining etc).

- I cleaned kitchen and bathroom NOT QUITE AS THOROUGHLY AS I WOULD'VE LIKED. I left them all clean-ish, w/major gunk and build-up removed. But some of it was a lot deeper/stickier and would've taken more time ans skill than I had.

- The Landlord did not itemize the fee. The settlement sheet just says: "Clean + Stove, Fridge & BathSoapScum."

- According to the Cali laws and regulations, when the tenant occupies the space for this many years, the landlord CANNOT CHARGE ANYTHING FOR NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR at all. The Landlord can only CHARGE FOR ACTUAL DAMAGES TO THE PROPERTY as well as for THE KIND OF CLEANING TO MAKE THE APARTMENT AS CLEAN AS WHEN THE TENANT MOVED IN. However, wherever it's impossible to get things back to looking as new and clean as they were at first because of the years of wear/tear, the LANDLORD IS NOT ALLOWED TO CHARGE FOR THAT. This is all according to Caifornia DCBA.

What's your opinion based on the above? Did the Landlord retain too much or not? Should I demand an Itemized List for cleaning costs? (I'm also fairly sure that all of the kitchen stuff is getting replaced anyway, so no cleaning was needed, but that's not something I can prove.)

Thanks in advance!
Slavuta
0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MurdockPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

@Kate Sobol You are trying to tie cleaning into normal wear and tear. Cleaning is not normal wear and tear. It doesn't matter if appliances were going to be replaced or not. If cleaning had to be done, you're on the hook. 

Cleaning is hands down the #1 item I get pushback on from tenants when deducting from their security deposits. A good "once over" doesn't cut it if you were given the apartment is spotless condition. 

Tenants rarely seem to grasp just how much time (in billable hours...) it can take to perform a truly deep cleaning. I'm still surprised myself sometimes. Soap scum, dirty appliances, crumbs in the cabinets, window sill crud, ceiling fan dust, hair under the baseboards etc etc. 

$275 sounds like a reasonable fee to charge for my area and I'm nowhere near the high rent district of LA. I'd call it quits and move on.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    @Kate Sobol

    I'm not familiar with California landlord/tenant rules but I recently did a tenant swap in Florida and had the house cleaned. It's a 1400sqft house and it was 300.00 for a top to bottom clean. Florida isn't as strict as California but I still provide an itemized security deposit disposition to my tenants. So, in my opinion, if the landlord did have a company come deep clean the property the cost is probably in that neighborhood. 

    Also, I found this website that might help. 

    California Consumer Affairs

  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Kate Sobol You are trying to tie cleaning into normal wear and tear. Cleaning is not normal wear and tear. It doesn't matter if appliances were going to be replaced or not. If cleaning had to be done, you're on the hook. 

    Cleaning is hands down the #1 item I get pushback on from tenants when deducting from their security deposits. A good "once over" doesn't cut it if you were given the apartment is spotless condition. 

    Tenants rarely seem to grasp just how much time (in billable hours...) it can take to perform a truly deep cleaning. I'm still surprised myself sometimes. Soap scum, dirty appliances, crumbs in the cabinets, window sill crud, ceiling fan dust, hair under the baseboards etc etc. 

    $275 sounds like a reasonable fee to charge for my area and I'm nowhere near the high rent district of LA. I'd call it quits and move on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    8y

    If I had a tenant that was good and stayed 12.5 years I can't imagine that I would charge a cleaning fee.

  • Investor · Nassau County, NY · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 43 votes
    8y
    In NYC (Queens) deep clean of a 3 bedroom apartment is about $400 for a normal, clean apartment. I'd say the charge seems reasonable.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.