otherwise great tenants hiding ferrets - how to proceed

otherwise great tenants hiding ferrets - how to proceed

Conor MeehanPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Berkshire County MA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 5 votes

I recently discovered our tenants are hiding their ferrets in the basement of our duplex.  They are otherwise good tenants - pay on time, responsible and friendly neighbors.  They were keeping them at his mom's until she moved in w/ her boyfriend and then they snuck them into our basement.   The ferrets are caged in the basement.  I'm just upset that they tried to hide it and in doing so violated our lease.  

What is the best way to handle this?  I want them to feel at home and stay for a long time because overall they are good tenants, but I also feel like I need to lay down the law here.

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

Why not allow them to come up w/ a solution, by asking them. Start a casual conversation and mention how the new addition to their family isn't part of the lease, but your willing to work with them. Then ask them what they think is fair, maybe they say something as good or better then you'd of offered. If you do this, go w/ the awkward silence after you ask them, let them answer and if silence is there let it linger till they tell you.

If they don't have a good offer then tell them what you were thinking (higher option) and if you like them why not offer a "discount" since they are "such good tenants".

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    @Conor Meehan That is a tough one. I will over look small things to keep good tenants.

    If you confront them, they may just pay a pet fee (which you could lower for caged ferrets) if your ok with that. You save face and enforce your lease and show your not a pushover and that the rules are the rules.

    You confront them and things turn sour and they end up moving because they are mad. You loose at least a months rent and end up with new tenants and neighbors that pay late and play loud music. You think back and realize that the illegal ferrets look good now.

    They don't know that you know and you ignore it and pretend you don't know anything about the pets.

    You could say you know about the ferrets and you are disappointing they didn't tell you about them, but you are willing to waive this one lease violation provided that the ferrets don't cause any issues.

    I think the ferrets will cause less trouble than dogs or cats so I would try and work out something or ignore it to keep an otherwise good tenant.

  • Conor MeehanPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Berkshire County MA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @John Underwood Thanks for the reply.  I should mention we found them last Friday when snowmelt and heavy rain from unseasonably warm weather caused our basement to flood (we have owner-occupied duplex).  When we went into their side to deal with the water we saw them.  I think they were as embarrassed by us finding them as we were disappointed.   

    You're exactly right that I don't want to be a pushover but in the grand scheme, this is a minor issue for tenants who pay on time and take care of the place and I want them to stay.  Not sure I can charge a fee in MA - I'll look into that.  Do I need to amend the lease?  Issue a notice of violation?  Or just say we're disappointed but willing to let it go this time because we appreciate their being good tenants in other ways?  Thanks again.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
    8y
    If your property is in NYC, keep in mind Ferrets are illegal to be kept as pets in NYC.
  • Conor MeehanPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Berkshire County MA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    thanks @Raul R.  property is in western mass 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    @Conor Meehan I have a place on my lease for a pet fee and I just put N/A beside it when they don't have pets. It list the pet fee so if they were to ever get a pet they couldn't say they didn't know about a pet fee.

    If you have someting in there about pets then I personally would just say this is a lease violation (check your lease to see if this is addressed in any way) and that since they have been good tenants you are going to waive this violation this one time.

    This way you have addressed the issue without being a pushover but they know that violating the lease wont be tolerated in the future.

    I think the sooner you have this conversation the better.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    If you want to keep them ask for a pet fee that is reasonable. 

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Why not allow them to come up w/ a solution, by asking them. Start a casual conversation and mention how the new addition to their family isn't part of the lease, but your willing to work with them. Then ask them what they think is fair, maybe they say something as good or better then you'd of offered. If you do this, go w/ the awkward silence after you ask them, let them answer and if silence is there let it linger till they tell you.

    If they don't have a good offer then tell them what you were thinking (higher option) and if you like them why not offer a "discount" since they are "such good tenants".

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    Aren't ferrets hunters? I think they are pretty active, and keeping them in a cage might not work. How are they as house pets? Can they be trained to use a litter box? Are they neutered? What problems do they pose? Maybe get relevant information before talking to the tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    8y
    Is the basement part of their rental or are they using the space without authorization? Assuming it is within space they are allowed to be using and you want to keep the tenants and the ferrets, tell them they can keep the ferrets but will have to pay a monthly pet fee. Then charge perhaps 25 or 50 dollars for the ferrets and you will make money from it. If you do this make sure the ferrets have not caused any damage. I am not familiar with ferrets and if they do or do not chase damage. If they tell you they will get rid of the ferrets go back to the property and do an inspection in a few weeks to be sure that the ferrets are really gone.
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Conor Meehan I know landlords that would love to have this as their main issue with their tenants. In the grand scheme this is not a big deal. Tell them if they want to keep the pet they will have to pay a pet deposit and let it play out from there. 

  • Conor MeehanPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Berkshire County MA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Thanks for all the great feedback!  Gotta love BP.

    I sent them a lease violation notice to let them know we're disappointed they purposefully broke our agreement and to set the president that we wont tolerate it in the future.  The ferrets are "elderly," very old and moving slow so I told them they could keep them as they are now - caged in the basement as long as they don't let them loose in the house.  In the end I want them to stay for a long time, so letting them keep them here will hopefully help make them feel at home.  

  • Investor · West Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 239 votes
    8y

      B.B. 

    Gggyuq

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.