Tenants depositing rent into your account

Tenants depositing rent into your account

Real Estate Agent · Thiensville, WI · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 3 votes

How does it work to have tenants deposit directly into your bank account? There is a new law that they have to show ID and SSN? Most of our tenants are Hispanic and do not have ID or SSN. Is there a way to get around that? 

TIA 

Julia

0Reply
223 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
8y

@Jon Holdman @Ronan M. the issue with chase that Jon mentioned they stopped allowing cash deposits only applies to personal accounts not business accounts.

I had a tenant deposit cash today into my chase business account no problem at all.

Btw I believe this is now the rule for all banks related to personal accounts.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Augusta, GA · Member since 2017 · 825 posts · 278 votes
    8y

    Just to add a monkey wrench- I think there is another risk here. What if you (heaven forbid) need to start an eviction for non-payment, and someone deposits a small amount in your account? You have just "accepted" a partial payment, and started the clock again on the eviction process. Getting a third party system in the middle might be worthwhile. The owner of the place I'm buying has been using cozy.co. Maybe something like that would help protect you. good luck!

  • Skip DellPro Member
    Investor · Vineland, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    I use Bank of America .. and I give my tenants Deposit only card that go right into my business account.. Each tenants card number is different.. so it easy to keep track of who pays.. even if you have multiple tenants with the same monthly rent.. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Acadiana / South Louisiana · Member since 2019 · 115 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    @ Skip Dell How did you obtain deposit cards? 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Suzette T.  you need to go in and request a deposit only card for your business on your business account.

  • Rental Property Investor · Acadiana / South Louisiana · Member since 2019 · 115 posts · 49 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    @Suzette T.  you need to go in and request a deposit only card for your business on your business account.

     Thank you Colleen. Were you also able to get multiple cards for multiple tenants?

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I think there is a limit but I only have a few that pay cash.  Make sure you ask for a deposit only card because that does not show balance on deposit, just the deposit. I got another card that I could set limits on but that is really for people who you also want to do withdrawals , like a partner. 

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Paypal/CashApp/Venmo?

  • Skip DellPro Member
    Investor · Vineland, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 19 votes
    6y

    Yes I agree with Colleen.. Just call your bank and see if there offer this service. Then just give them  the information for each tenant..

  • MA (massachusetts) · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Glen Whipkins

    I have them text me the deposit slip otherwise I don’t know who it was

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.