Tenant moved out and left a car with no paperwork

7 Replies

I had a tenant move out without notice and left/abandoned a car without paperwork. I currently have a new tenant and they need the space the abandoned car is taking up. The rental is in California and the car is from Arizona. Has anyone on here ever had to deal with removing an abandoned vehicle?

Thanks

You have the right to have it removed from your property. Call a towing company and have it towed. The towing company will file for the right to sell it after a certain period of time. It is not your problem.

If the old tenant contacts you tell him where it was towed to.

California has specific laws when it comes to abandoned tenant property.  You have to put a good faith effort in providing notice to the tenant that you will dispose of their property if they don't get it themselves within a certain time.  The notice has to have certain info on it (see link below) and can be mailed or emailed.  You can store the abandoned property for a few weeks (again, see the link for the exact time frame) and then may get rid of it.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/handling-tenants-abandoned-property-california.html 

Max Gradowitz, Attorney

Thanks all for the answers. Definitely gives me some options, even yours Joel ;-)

Originally posted by @Steve Graves :

I had a tenant move out without notice and left/abandoned a car without paperwork. I currently have a new tenant and they need the space the abandoned car is taking up. The rental is in California and the car is from Arizona. Has anyone on here ever had to deal with removing an abandoned vehicle?

Thanks

Getting a car with no paperwork off of your property is a total pain in the butt. I heard that most tow companies won't touch it due to liability. Sometimes there is one or two in town who will take the risk so call around. 

If you can't find one I also heard from a friend of a friend that it's really beneficial when the abandoned cars get pushed into the street. Then the city has to come out & tow them. Who knew?

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

Contact a BONDED towing company . They know how to deal with all the legal steps. If it's not a worthless clunker, they'll tow it on their dime, according to all the laws, and will go through the motions to contact the owner and possibly auction it off. 

The laws vary by state. In California, if you’re the owner or person in lawful possession of private property that is improved with a single family dwelling, you can have the abandoned vehicle towed. 

The law that addresses this is 22658 CVC, which has additional info/circumstances on when a vehicle can be towed from private property. 

The tow company will send written notice to the vehicle’s owner of record after they tow it. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.