Replacing the flooring in my rental.

Replacing the flooring in my rental.

West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 19 votes

hello everyone,

So I got my first rental property and one of the many things that I’ve thought to replace was the flooring. The place came with very old fashioned laminate square which are not very appealing. 

I was wonder from your experience what do y’all think would be the best option such as tiles, laminate, or vinyl flooring? Considering low cost/durability/tenant proof 

0Reply
128 views

Most Popular Reply

Cost Segregation Specialist · Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 204 posts · 168 votes
8y

After selling flooring for 3 years I'd highly recommend vinyl plank as many others have stated. All in all it'll hold up the best to whatever the tenants throw at it. it's basically waterproof, isn't going to fade from sunlight like hardwood, and the good ones look great almost like real wood. Some laminates look better, but the durability isn't comparable. It takes a lot of abuse to mess it up, and if you have a good installer they'll be able to replace individual planks if they get damaged (you'll need some extra planks for that so find one you like and use it everywhere.) It'll last longer than laminate and you don't have to worry about it expanding/contracting which could make gaps over time in laminate or wood. 

Carpet is for sure the cheapest, but it'll get destroyed by tenants pretty quickly. Replacing carpet after tenants moved out was something I dealt with in sales almost weekly. I'd rather pay a little more for something that'll last for many years than have to replace the carpet every time a tenant leaves. 

Vinyl tile (the hardy stuff that looks like real stone/ceramic tile and gets grouted in, not the multicolor squares you'd find at the gym) are great for areas where you don't want a wood look. Basically the same strength and durability as the planks and they won't crack like ceramic tile can under stress, be it the subfloor shifting or dropping something heavy. 

Some vinyl planks and other kinds of flooring have a "lifetime warranty" or a "20-50 year warranty" but that's just a marketing gimmick. Warranty only applies to an owner occupied personal residence, you need to have it professionally installed and professionally maintained, and just about anything that you do will void the warranty. 

Now that I work with accelerated depreciation on commercial and rental property I know another good thing about the vinyl planks is you can depreciate it over 5 years as long as it's a floating installation and not glued down. Flooring that's considered permanent and structural like solid hardwood and ceramic tile have to use the 27.5 year schedule, so if it's a big project thats a pretty significant tax benefit. Another thing on that is if you install it yourself you can only write off the material costs while if you pay someone to install it you can write off the material and labor costs. 

Shop around a bit and get a good deal, but remember you get what you pay for. Find a good independent installer with fair pricing, purchase the materials yourself unless the installer can get a better discount and will pass those savings onto you. You'll likely pay half the installation charge that way rather than getting a "package deal" from a bigger company or a "free installation" Note: I worked for a bigger company and the install charge and product markup were ridiculous. 

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    Do you have to place any sort of material underneath the planks or do you just set it on top of the slab?

    Originally posted by @Patrick M.:

    Thanks-

    One of the things I loved about the allure is the grip strip. They sell spare strips so that you can reverse course when you want to work from a hallway to room, or back into a closet.

    Here is the flooring running right in front of the closet (grip strip facing the opposite direction)

    Measure out a length of the grip strip.

    peel of the backing and place half lengthwise under the plank- and now you simply reverse right into the closet.

    Easy peasy. Also lets you change direction if you transition into a room that is wider going in the opposite direction... (there is a video on HD website that sells the grip strips). I did that in one of the bedrooms and it gives the appearance of a larger space.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    This went right over subfloor- but it can be sensitive to height differences at connections and gaps. 

  • West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 91 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Has anyone tried epoxy flooring?

  • Property Manager · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 76 votes
    8y
    all depends on what tenant base you're dealing with. high end hardwood/engineered. if this is in low-mid income and you plan to hold it for a while (5+ years) then vinyl plank all day. if you're in a really rough tenant base (aka a lot of kids really) then there is some heavy construction grade flooring that looks like hardwood you can get that's expensive but durable than anything else.
  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 184 posts · 87 votes
    8y

    @Gilbert Lugo I’ve used metallic epoxy in the basement of my personal residence. If you had slab on grade, which Florida has a ton, I think it would be a great choice. The floor is indestructible to all sorts of wear & tear. 

    https://imgur.com/gallery/BwLEN

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @BJ Everson My market is apparently bucking conventional wisdom- all high end goes with vinyl planking. 

  • Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Wade G.:

    I use to be a big fan of ceramic tile.  Now I only use it in small rooms like bathrooms.  Its just to unforgiving if the slab heaves or cracks.  Tired of having to hire people and rip out tile and all the mess that goes along with that.  Experimenting with vinyl plank now.

  • Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Must be a Texas thing. The concrete floor in my rental heaved this winter and I have to repair and install a new floor. Can anyone recommend a concrete repair company in Fort Worth? 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    New member here... +1 on vinyl plank. We just installed SmartCore (Woodford Oak) in every room of our new rental - including kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms. Looks as good as the pictures above, waterproof, easy install.

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Gilbert Lugo I'm sure others have said it already, LVP gets my vote too.

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Derrick E. I appreciate your post.  I've used the .68 stuff from Lowes on maybe 15 or so houses and had good results except for the pieces occasionally sliding apart at the end joints and leaving gaps.  Have you had this problem? What do you use for underlayment?  I've used the $25/100sqft a roll plastic stuff from Lowes and also used 30lbs felt paper.  

  • Investor · The Creek, WV · Member since 2014 · 890 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Terrell Garren:

    @Derrick E. I appreciate your post.  I've used the .68 stuff from Lowes on maybe 15 or so houses and had good results except for the pieces occasionally sliding apart at the end joints and leaving gaps.  Have you had this problem? What do you use for underlayment?  I've used the $25/100sqft a roll plastic stuff from Lowes and also used 30lbs felt paper.  

    Yeah I had that problem in a few of my houses where humidity is an issue. I use the $45 stuff from Lowes for underlayment. Way better than the cheap plastic roll I used the first time. Pay the extra money on the underlayment, trust me, its worth it. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.