Unapproved Pet - Not on Lease

Unapproved Pet - Not on Lease

New to Real Estate · Coppell, TX · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes

Hello BP! We are managing our first rental property and have come across a concern with pets at the property. 

We approved 1 dog (specifically identified on the lease) for the tenants. We recently learned that they took in a cat and did not volunteer that information to us. At this point, it is considered against our policy of no cats and no unapproved animals, in addition to a breach of lease.

The tenant is offering to pay an additional pet fee, as well as additional rent to cover the animals. But our concern is the damage the cat has potentially done or will do to the home (flooring, smell, etc.). The fee and rent may not cover the cost of floor replacement or other damage that may occur. The flooring is all luxury vinyl plank, which was installed prior to the tenant moving in. While this flooring is water proof, we are still concerned about the cat urine getting into the seams and baseboards.

Our question then is whether we should take the additional fee ($400) and rent ($25/month), or stick with our policy and communicate that they must remove the pet from the property within a stated timeframe.

Any advice or lessons learned would be greatly appreciated!

0Reply
242 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
8y

@Kyle Burrows I am not a cat person either but I don't think they necessarily urinate over everything and destroy a house. I imagine that a trained cat would be no trouble at all. That said I would schedule an inspection to see if there is an issue. If you find a problem then you can resort to asking them to remove the cat an pay for any deodorizing or other remediation.  If you find no issues then you can charge the extra fees same as you did for the approved dog.

I also eliminate carpet and allow pets and so far have never had any pet damage. I charge a $300 pet fee (not a refundable pet deposit) and I do not charge any additional monthly rent for pets.

See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    @Ihe O.

    "if you were actually the big landlord you claim"

    I have never claimed to be a big time landlord, in fact I have stated on several occasions that I am small time with only 30 plus doors but decades of experience, and am now in retirement. I only spend a couple of days a week working on my properties.

    As for bad advice all of that has come from you. End of discussion.

  • Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 395 posts · 191 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    @Ihe O.

    "if you were actually the big landlord you claim"

    I have never claimed to be a big time landlord, in fact I have stated on several occasions that I am small time with only 30 plus doors but decades of experience, and am now in retirement. I only spend a couple of days a week working on my properties.

    Then since you have time. Spend more of it researching, both instead of and before, posting. 

    That way I won't have to keep responding to the misinformation you spread, people don't get misled and everybody wins.

    I am ok that we are ideologically different, that's fine, but most of what you write here is nothing more than propagation of ill-informed beliefs.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Ihe O. Enough. You've already spoken your point, now leave it alone. You have a reputation on this website for attacking others that don't align with your thinking.

    The advice that Thomas and others have given are all good advice. You have good advice too hidden among your insults. Try to be more neutral. 

    There is no one correct way to do things in life. So no, you are not doing any favors by "responding to misinformation". It is your own opinion that it's wrong, and that is different than being factually wrong.

    Stop with the arguing.

  • Grove City, OH · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    This is the first bigger pockets post I have ever seen devolve into chaos.  Way to go guys.

    Regarding the cat.  Either make it go away by enforcing the lease, or what I would do, take the extra money and be firm that this is the last time the lease will be violated.  Addendum some other info in there regarding repercussions of a violated lease.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    @Kyle Burrows after weeding through all of the crap, there is some good advice here. Ultimately it comes down to two things.... One, make an exception and navigate the slippery slope that once an exception is made, the tenant now knows that other exceptions can be made as well. And two, you had a no pet policy for a reason, and the tenants signed the contract, so enforce the contract. Rules are there to protect you, the tenant, and the property, and violating these rules should not be an option. My vote is for #2, enforce the rules that you have in place. I dont like going down slippery slopes.
  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Must not engage...... don't feed the crazy..... I'm going to walk away and stay on the real topic.

    Let your tenant know you have no spine and they can do as they please..... or stay in charge.....your choice

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.