Best time to send out Non-Renewal Notice

Best time to send out Non-Renewal Notice

Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 64 votes

I am going to be sending out a non-renewal on a lease that expires June 30th. Initially I thought I'd give them notice after I collected rent this month. Then I thought it might be too much notice. Locally, all we need to do is give them 30 days notice. Any thoughts?

I don't feel like I need to give the tenant an explanation because the contract is over.  Do you disagree?

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2014 · 371 posts · 146 votes
    8y

    I'd collect May if you haven't yet, and then tell them a couple days later. You have until the 31st of May to tell them, but the more time you give them the more likely they'll be out on time. No need to give explanation to tenant; it will turn into an argument.

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    8y

    We give at least 30 days with no reason. If we have a reason, my attorney has advised me to give notice as soon as possible but still no need to give a reason. We had a nightmare tenant that we wanted to get rid of but couldn't come up with a reason to evict so we gave him a non-renewal notice 6 months in advance... with no reason. Tenant knew he wasn't wanted and asked to leave early and we said sure.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.