After Hours Phone Calls

After Hours Phone Calls

Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2009 · 168 posts · 112 votes

How do you guys deal with after hour phone calls? While I want to be reachable if the building is burning down, flooding or other major problem, I want to avoid the calls that can wait a bit or wait until the "office" opens.

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y

I have a condo I've been renting for over a decade and have never ever had a phone call at an odd hour.

Quality properties beget quality tenants beget considerate behavior. :-)

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    15y

    We have a $25 fee for any non-emergency phone call after 8PM written into our lease.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I have a condo I've been renting for over a decade and have never ever had a phone call at an odd hour.

    Quality properties beget quality tenants beget considerate behavior. :-)

  • Wholesaler · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 286 posts · 255 votes
    15y

    I give my tenants a property info sheet with emergency contact numbers. I also walk through the property with them to show them where the fire extinguishers are, where the breaker panel is, and where the water main shutoff is. There are many repair companies that have people on call 24/7, the utility companies usually do as well.

    And unless you have a firetruck you can't do anything productive if you get a 3 am "the house is burning down" phone call.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    15y

    Voice mail and respond if they're urgent???

  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    Once you have enough units you will get them. I have trouble sleeping because of it and it has become a quality of life issue. I am going to look into an answering service.

    What do you call urgent? If you charge them, they will be hisitant to call and it might be a call that could save you a lot of money.

  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    15y

    Emergencys are:

    No heat
    No hot water
    Water leaks
    Safety issues (broken windows, doors, etc)
    Fire

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Jeffrey Koenig:
    What do you call urgent? If you charge them, they will be hisitant to call and it might be a call that could save you a lot of money.

    That's what I was thinking.

  • Investor · Aurora, CO · Member since 2009 · 200 posts · 74 votes
    15y

    Two ways to help reduce these phone calls. One is to make sure you let tenants know the difference between emergency and minor issues. Let them know minor issues will be resolved the following day. Print a list for them if you have to. This will help keep them from guessing or using selective memory.

    2nd, If you do get "that tenant" that likes to call at 3 am for a minor issue, be sure to call them back at 7am during normal business hours. Chances are they are asleep. While this won't prevent all midnight calls, it does help train your tenants. Just some food for thought.

  • Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2009 · 168 posts · 112 votes
    15y

    Great help! I have 8 units now. One of the buildings is in transition from a sub-prime tenant to a more moderate income tenant. I wish I could have booted most of them when I took over the building but that's not the way it works. So far they've been decent and I've not had late calls but it's something that keeps me awake

  • Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2010 · 59 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    I provide all of my tenants with my Google Voice number. Google Voice allows you to setup business hours and any calls out side of that time frame can either be forwarded to another number or go directly to VM.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I find that many experienced property managers train their tenants to call a separate number for emergencies (either contacting them directly, maintenance team, or answering service). Though, they do instruct tenants on exactly what types of scenarios constitute emergency type situations. It seems to be more of a training exercise. Hope that helps!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.