Landlord Tales and cautions

Landlord Tales and cautions

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 8 votes

Happy Friday BP Nation!

I am still very new to the world of real estate investing but I think I’m going to go down the path of buying, holding and renting. Now I talk with my fiance about this and she immediately brings up all of the issues we’ve experienced in past places we ourselves have rented (Hot water was out for 2 weeks for the entire complex due to some landscaping guys busting a line in one apartment we lived in) and how she wouldn’t want to be the one directly having to deal with those issues. As well as crazy tenants destroying the property. Now, landscapers accidentally breaking a line can happen to anyone anywhere in my mind, accidents happen. My question to the more seasoned landlords of BP, is how crazy have your tenants gotten? Are people really just trashing places that often? I understand there are bad eggs but I have to think most people just leave regular wear and tear, am I wrong? I appreciate you sharing your past experiences, and everybody have a safe weekend!

0Reply
90 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
8y

I have to echo @Terrell Garren here. I did my first flip when I was 30. I waited until I was 39 to start investing in rentals. Yes, I was doing other things, yes they were important, but I wish I had started earlier. That is my main regret in this business, and I would say my only significant regret.

I rent out apartments in the C-D range in the nicest parts of rough urban neighborhoods. I self-manage those apartments, and I also do most of the maintenance and upkeep. My tenants have my cell phone number. You might call me a slumlord, but the police certainly don't. They call me an example of the kind of affordable-housing landlord that is part of the solution to the housing problems of the urban ghetto.

I won't tell you how much I have invested in real estate. That would be idiotic on a forum like this one. But I do have $33,000 in a legacy rollover IRA that a certified financial planner invests for me, and I will tell you that I think of that money as peanuts when it comes to retirement income, as any reasonable person should.

All the people I am still in touch with from high school and college have, at best, two nice cars, a nice home, a stack of monthly bills a mile high, family photos take by professionals, and money saved up in a 401K. I went to an unreasonable upscale suburban high school and hung out with smart people so a few of my old friends  are now well-paid professionals, some married well, but the pattern is always the same. Two started businesses that eventually failed and went back to the corporate world, but that's it.

This year, my $33K, invested in mutual funds and ETFs, has remained $33K. I haven't made a penny on that money. My financial planner sweats bullets every time I talk to him, reassuring me that the market is going to go up, up, up, that this is wise investing for the future, that everything is fine.

That guy drives a BMW, lives in a half-million dollar house out in the sticks, and really likes glen plaid suits, double cuffs with cufflinks, and the kind of overly stylish business footwear that I refer to as "clown shoes." He is well aware that he is really failing in managing the test money I've invested with him. When I first met him, I asked him a simple question I got off real estate records: why did he sell a $170,000 house in a nice neighborhood and move to his $500,000 house in the sticks two years before?

His answer was telling: after hemming and hawing a bit, he explained it was so that his kids could have a nice backyard, truly the most ludicrous explanation of why it was necessary to take a $300,000 mortgage that I've ever heard. He then insisted, in a slightly shrill tone, that, "I am NOT house poor!"

I am just curious, at this stage, to see if he's going to make me ANY money by December. If not, I'll move the money elsewhere. This guy is at the absolute mercy of the markets. Sooner or later, when the business cycle turns, he's going to see a lot of the money under his management go bye-bye. It's as inevitable as the next sunrise. When that happens, my financial planner's going to get hammered. His high expenses will keep rolling along nicely, but his income will take a high-dive belly flop.

My financial planner, and my friends, are all in the same boat. They are one or two crises away from an economic bust. The people that I am friends with are all married, and their spouses work. Anything happens with their spouse or their spouse's job? Bust. Any health problems? Bust. Job loss? Bust. Any other major economic upheaval in their lives? Bust.

And every day, they log into their online accounts, look at their 401K, and hope they made money and didn't lose it that day. They will vote for any idiot who promises them that under their administration, the stock market will go through the roof.

Some of my friends are going to be working at Starbucks or McDonalds in their early sixties. That's statistically unavoidable. The bust will happen. The 401K will drop in value, The numbers won't add up, and the despair will set in. The American Dream will prove to be a lie for them.

But that's not what I worry about for my future.

I worry that someday, someone close to me is going to come and tell me that their child needs medical care that isn't covered under their medical insurance, and I won't have enough money to write a check for them. I think that the charity that I intend to endow in the future won't get enough to really do what I think it can do as a well-funded charity if I stop doing what I do now. I worry that someday, some deranged neo-Nazi party in the country of my birth may gain enough power to do real damage and I wouldn't be able to put any financial muscle behind organizations that will work to do something about it.

Convince your wife to get into this, Joseph. It's actually pretty difficult to screw up royally if you do your best to look ahead, make conservative estimates, aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, and keep your ego small and manageable. No, this is not an easy business. But it beats the pants off a cubicle and an online 401K account that you just hope doesn't lose any money today. There's a learning curve. So start small. Learn steadily. Work much harder than you expect for at least the first 10 years. It will get better.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Joseph Lucas Jr,

    Majority of tenants IMO are just normal people, and it's just normal wear and tear... that being said, bad apples do exist.   You are the one  (if you self manage) that picks the tenant, so you are responsible IMO of picking someone you think will treat your home with respect. 

    Stuff happens, life happens, a lot of months it's crickets... and then other months, it's a few calls.. the quality of your house the quality of the stuff inside it will dictate a lot as far as required maintenance!    If your fiance is worried about problems, I'd suggest finding something super turn key and lived in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Novato, CA · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 145 votes
    8y
    Rentals are a great way to secure ur financial future. And u r in Phoenix where I invest. I love that market. This business requires having a thick skin and not getting hung up on minor setbacks. I’ve had several bad tenants when I had property managers screening tenants. Since I’ve self managed and had my realtor screen tenants and used background checking software like smartmoves.com, those issues have been greatly reduced. My ex wife didn’t have the stomach for rentals. And she didn’t have any better ideas for investing besides the stock market. Realistically, if a tenant trashes ur place in Phoenix, it’s ~$10k in flooring, paint, and cleaning. This can all be prevented by getting good tenants and checking up regularly.
  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Joseph Lucas Jr A lot depends on the types of neighborhoods you are in. This is exactly why I'm always saying not to invest in low end, cheap properties. These are the kinds of tenants you are going to get in those areas. Yes, it's possible to get bad tenants in any class of property or neighborhood, but you reduce your chances of that significantly by investing in better areas, Good property management and tenant screening is also essential. No investment is perfect and everything has risks but the nice thing about real estate is that you have more control over those risks than most other types of investments. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Lucas Jr:

    Happy Friday BP Nation!

    I am still very new to the world of real estate investing but I think I’m going to go down the path of buying, holding and renting. Now I talk with my fiance about this and she immediately brings up all of the issues we’ve experienced in past places we ourselves have rented (Hot water was out for 2 weeks for the entire complex due to some landscaping guys busting a line in one apartment we lived in) and how she wouldn’t want to be the one directly having to deal with those issues. As well as crazy tenants destroying the property. Now, landscapers accidentally breaking a line can happen to anyone anywhere in my mind, accidents happen. My question to the more seasoned landlords of BP, is how crazy have your tenants gotten? Are people really just trashing places that often? I understand there are bad eggs but I have to think most people just leave regular wear and tear, am I wrong? I appreciate you sharing your past experiences, and everybody have a safe weekend!

     Forget the details about bad landlord tales.  Look at it this way.

    Every hour in America there is a grisly bloody horrible automobile accident that results in death.  Every year, there are plane crashes, train derailments, school schootings, etc.  And yet, people don't stop riding in cars, planes, trains.  People don't stop sending their children to school.

    If anyone is going to allow the worst possible case scenario to convince them to not invest in real estate, well, they probably didn't really want to be a real estate investor in the first place.

    Maybe the fact is your wife really doesn't care to be a real estate investor.  You may just have to admit that.  Then, search the forums here for threads about what to do if you want to invest in real estate when your spouse does not.

    Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Are you trying to convince yourself to not invest or what ? Look If you think investing in real estate is risky try living off social security in 35 years .. there won’t be any ! It’s much riskier to not have a plan and be at the mercy of whatever government program they want you to survive under in the future .
  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    @Dennis M. I’m very much decided that I want to do this. I was curious as to what kind of past experiences BP Nation has had. Also, maybe hear a different prospective from someone with experience that would potentially ease my wife’s worries. Help persuade her, I like your take @Randy E.
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Lucas Jr:

    @Dennis M. I’m very much decided that I want to do this. I was curious as to what kind of past experiences BP Nation has had. Also, maybe hear a different prospective from someone with experience that would potentially ease my wife’s worries. Help persuade her, I like your take @Randy E.

     Joseph, I'm actually of the opinion that one spouse does not need to convince the other spouse.  That comes with the caveat that you're not asking her to spend her money, co-sign for any loan, or put any time/effort into your pursuit.   If this is your puppy, then raise it.  

    As I said in the thread I linked to below, if you were a writer and your wife hated reading, would you quit being an author?  Of course not.  If you're a computer programmer and your wife can barely use the internet without crashing the computer, do you quit your job?  Of course not.

    As with any topic, there are many people who have different opinions.  Read the thread and you'll see many opinions.

    Spouse Not On Board

    Good luck

  • Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 738 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Joseph Lucas Jr

    My mom is the same way... she thinks as soon as she rents out a property Walter White is going to start cooking meth in the garage and burn the entire house down.

    But honestly, SOOOOO much can be done to prevent these kinds of problems from happening:

    • When you buy the property, do a home inspection to identify potential issues before you purchase. Spend the money to fix them now so they're not an issue later. Or buy something remodeled and updated and you won't have to worry about it for years.
    • Do a credit check and ask for landlord references to make sure your tenant pays their bills
    • Ask for income verification and time on the job to make sure their ability to pay seems steady
    • Do a background check and avoid shady characters with a bad history
    • Start with month-to-month leases so you can get rid of problem tenants quickly and easily
    • Know your state's landlord laws so you don't do anything illegal or stupid
    • Search "Arizona Landlord's Deskbook" to learn them - Luckily it's more investor friendly in Phoenix
    • Have a personal interview with the tenant and go with your gut

    And finally, go in with an understanding that all investments come with risk. Stock markets crash, businesses go bust, and every now and then you get a wacko tenant or something major breaks. 

    Frankly, I'd bet 99 out of 100 landlords skipped one of the steps above if they ever had a major problem with a tenant. So much pain can be avoided with an little prevention and preparation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Novato, CA · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 145 votes
    8y

    I don't have any advice for getting your spouse on board.  One thing I thought was a neat concept was that each spouse have their own independent money to do with what they want as long as all joint expenses are covered.  As long as everything is covered, you should be able to do what you want with your money right? 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    90% of tenants are OK to good to excellent. Once you have been in the business long enough you will experience the other 10%.

    I have been in the business long enough to have experienced it all. The worst you will come across will be inherited tenants. You learn to weed out the majority if you adopt very strict screening criteria but sometimes the crazies will still slip through.

    Unfortunately to eliminate the most risk I have learned it is necessary to bend, and some times break, fair housing regulations to protect your business. It is unfortunately a reality necessary to survive. Those that choose to operate strictly by the book are usually the ones that get burned the worst.

    My policy, like it or not, business first tenants second. 

  • Coppell, TX · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 310 votes
    8y

    Besides screening always do a walkthrough 1-3 months in.  A friend rented a house.  about a year or two into it she came to find out they were using the house as a pet mill warehouse.

    The stench in the place, with animal droppings everywhere was BAD.  they had anything and everything growing there.  Lizards, snakes, rabbits etc..

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Joseph, what started as a hobby for me 10 years ago allowed me to retire early and cash flow life.  I work part time and enjoy running a small RE business. My only regret is not doing it when I was 30 versus 50 years old.  Find a passion where you can make money, control your destiny and love life. RE is a good option.

    Best,

    Terrell

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Here’s a tip : inherited tenants are almost always the problem tenants . If you have evictions then usually it’s these folks who came with the property upon purchase .
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    I have to echo @Terrell Garren here. I did my first flip when I was 30. I waited until I was 39 to start investing in rentals. Yes, I was doing other things, yes they were important, but I wish I had started earlier. That is my main regret in this business, and I would say my only significant regret.

    I rent out apartments in the C-D range in the nicest parts of rough urban neighborhoods. I self-manage those apartments, and I also do most of the maintenance and upkeep. My tenants have my cell phone number. You might call me a slumlord, but the police certainly don't. They call me an example of the kind of affordable-housing landlord that is part of the solution to the housing problems of the urban ghetto.

    I won't tell you how much I have invested in real estate. That would be idiotic on a forum like this one. But I do have $33,000 in a legacy rollover IRA that a certified financial planner invests for me, and I will tell you that I think of that money as peanuts when it comes to retirement income, as any reasonable person should.

    All the people I am still in touch with from high school and college have, at best, two nice cars, a nice home, a stack of monthly bills a mile high, family photos take by professionals, and money saved up in a 401K. I went to an unreasonable upscale suburban high school and hung out with smart people so a few of my old friends  are now well-paid professionals, some married well, but the pattern is always the same. Two started businesses that eventually failed and went back to the corporate world, but that's it.

    This year, my $33K, invested in mutual funds and ETFs, has remained $33K. I haven't made a penny on that money. My financial planner sweats bullets every time I talk to him, reassuring me that the market is going to go up, up, up, that this is wise investing for the future, that everything is fine.

    That guy drives a BMW, lives in a half-million dollar house out in the sticks, and really likes glen plaid suits, double cuffs with cufflinks, and the kind of overly stylish business footwear that I refer to as "clown shoes." He is well aware that he is really failing in managing the test money I've invested with him. When I first met him, I asked him a simple question I got off real estate records: why did he sell a $170,000 house in a nice neighborhood and move to his $500,000 house in the sticks two years before?

    His answer was telling: after hemming and hawing a bit, he explained it was so that his kids could have a nice backyard, truly the most ludicrous explanation of why it was necessary to take a $300,000 mortgage that I've ever heard. He then insisted, in a slightly shrill tone, that, "I am NOT house poor!"

    I am just curious, at this stage, to see if he's going to make me ANY money by December. If not, I'll move the money elsewhere. This guy is at the absolute mercy of the markets. Sooner or later, when the business cycle turns, he's going to see a lot of the money under his management go bye-bye. It's as inevitable as the next sunrise. When that happens, my financial planner's going to get hammered. His high expenses will keep rolling along nicely, but his income will take a high-dive belly flop.

    My financial planner, and my friends, are all in the same boat. They are one or two crises away from an economic bust. The people that I am friends with are all married, and their spouses work. Anything happens with their spouse or their spouse's job? Bust. Any health problems? Bust. Job loss? Bust. Any other major economic upheaval in their lives? Bust.

    And every day, they log into their online accounts, look at their 401K, and hope they made money and didn't lose it that day. They will vote for any idiot who promises them that under their administration, the stock market will go through the roof.

    Some of my friends are going to be working at Starbucks or McDonalds in their early sixties. That's statistically unavoidable. The bust will happen. The 401K will drop in value, The numbers won't add up, and the despair will set in. The American Dream will prove to be a lie for them.

    But that's not what I worry about for my future.

    I worry that someday, someone close to me is going to come and tell me that their child needs medical care that isn't covered under their medical insurance, and I won't have enough money to write a check for them. I think that the charity that I intend to endow in the future won't get enough to really do what I think it can do as a well-funded charity if I stop doing what I do now. I worry that someday, some deranged neo-Nazi party in the country of my birth may gain enough power to do real damage and I wouldn't be able to put any financial muscle behind organizations that will work to do something about it.

    Convince your wife to get into this, Joseph. It's actually pretty difficult to screw up royally if you do your best to look ahead, make conservative estimates, aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, and keep your ego small and manageable. No, this is not an easy business. But it beats the pants off a cubicle and an online 401K account that you just hope doesn't lose any money today. There's a learning curve. So start small. Learn steadily. Work much harder than you expect for at least the first 10 years. It will get better.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Screen. Every problem tenant I've ever had has been a smoker.  Steve doesn't do smokers anymore, even if they promise to 'only smoke outside.'

    You're not married, so buy if you want now.  I wouldn't enter a partnership on my first deal anyway. Maybe she'll come around after it is working out and you do get married. Otherwise it won't matter much anyway.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 224 posts · 50 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joseph Lucas Jr:

    @Dennis M. I’m very much decided that I want to do this. I was curious as to what kind of past experiences BP Nation has had. Also, maybe hear a different prospective from someone with experience that would potentially ease my wife’s worries. Help persuade her, I like your take @Randy E.

     Just show her this to ease her mind.  I was in one of my vacant units after we finally locked out the squatter from an eviction and came across this in the kitchen.  Needless to say I decided not to stick around that day.  This was an inherited tenant and my current tenants are screened very well by my PM and these tenants have been just fine.  Less repair calls, no broken windows (junkies love broken windows), etc.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    I have to echo @Terrell Garren here. I did my first flip when I was 30. I waited until I was 39 to start investing in rentals. Yes, I was doing other things, yes they were important, but I wish I had started earlier. That is my main regret in this business, and I would say my only significant regret.

    I rent out apartments in the C-D range in the nicest parts of rough urban neighborhoods. I self-manage those apartments, and I also do most of the maintenance and upkeep. My tenants have my cell phone number. You might call me a slumlord, but the police certainly don't. They call me an example of the kind of affordable-housing landlord that is part of the solution to the housing problems of the urban ghetto.

    I won't tell you how much I have invested in real estate. That would be idiotic on a forum like this one. But I do have $33,000 in a legacy rollover IRA that a certified financial planner invests for me, and I will tell you that I think of that money as peanuts when it comes to retirement income, as any reasonable person should.

    All the people I am still in touch with from high school and college have, at best, two nice cars, a nice home, a stack of monthly bills a mile high, family photos take by professionals, and money saved up in a 401K. I went to an unreasonable upscale suburban high school and hung out with smart people so a few of my old friends  are now well-paid professionals, some married well, but the pattern is always the same. Two started businesses that eventually failed and went back to the corporate world, but that's it.

    This year, my $33K, invested in mutual funds and ETFs, has remained $33K. I haven't made a penny on that money. My financial planner sweats bullets every time I talk to him, reassuring me that the market is going to go up, up, up, that this is wise investing for the future, that everything is fine.

    That guy drives a BMW, lives in a half-million dollar house out in the sticks, and really likes glen plaid suits, double cuffs with cufflinks, and the kind of overly stylish business footwear that I refer to as "clown shoes." He is well aware that he is really failing in managing the test money I've invested with him. When I first met him, I asked him a simple question I got off real estate records: why did he sell a $170,000 house in a nice neighborhood and move to his $500,000 house in the sticks two years before?

    His answer was telling: after hemming and hawing a bit, he explained it was so that his kids could have a nice backyard, truly the most ludicrous explanation of why it was necessary to take a $300,000 mortgage that I've ever heard. He then insisted, in a slightly shrill tone, that, "I am NOT house poor!"

    I am just curious, at this stage, to see if he's going to make me ANY money by December. If not, I'll move the money elsewhere. This guy is at the absolute mercy of the markets. Sooner or later, when the business cycle turns, he's going to see a lot of the money under his management go bye-bye. It's as inevitable as the next sunrise. When that happens, my financial planner's going to get hammered. His high expenses will keep rolling along nicely, but his income will take a high-dive belly flop.

    My financial planner, and my friends, are all in the same boat. They are one or two crises away from an economic bust. The people that I am friends with are all married, and their spouses work. Anything happens with their spouse or their spouse's job? Bust. Any health problems? Bust. Job loss? Bust. Any other major economic upheaval in their lives? Bust.

    And every day, they log into their online accounts, look at their 401K, and hope they made money and didn't lose it that day. They will vote for any idiot who promises them that under their administration, the stock market will go through the roof.

    Some of my friends are going to be working at Starbucks or McDonalds in their early sixties. That's statistically unavoidable. The bust will happen. The 401K will drop in value, The numbers won't add up, and the despair will set in. The American Dream will prove to be a lie for them.

    But that's not what I worry about for my future.

    I worry that someday, someone close to me is going to come and tell me that their child needs medical care that isn't covered under their medical insurance, and I won't have enough money to write a check for them. I think that the charity that I intend to endow in the future won't get enough to really do what I think it can do as a well-funded charity if I stop doing what I do now. I worry that someday, some deranged neo-Nazi party in the country of my birth may gain enough power to do real damage and I wouldn't be able to put any financial muscle behind organizations that will work to do something about it.

    Convince your wife to get into this, Joseph. It's actually pretty difficult to screw up royally if you do your best to look ahead, make conservative estimates, aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, and keep your ego small and manageable. No, this is not an easy business. But it beats the pants off a cubicle and an online 401K account that you just hope doesn't lose any money today. There's a learning curve. So start small. Learn steadily. Work much harder than you expect for at least the first 10 years. It will get better.

    That was a really good read  . I like the way you think Jim  and I agree wholeheartedly 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Moore:
    Originally posted by @Joseph Lucas Jr:

    @Dennis M. I’m very much decided that I want to do this. I was curious as to what kind of past experiences BP Nation has had. Also, maybe hear a different prospective from someone with experience that would potentially ease my wife’s worries. Help persuade her, I like your take @Randy E.

     Just show her this to ease her mind.  I was in one of my vacant units after we finally locked out the squatter from an eviction and came across this in the kitchen.  Needless to say I decided not to stick around that day.  This was an inherited tenant and my current tenants are screened very well by my PM and these tenants have been just fine.  Less repair calls, no broken windows (junkies love broken windows), etc.

    Just goes to show even low income folks enjoy the hobby of skiing 

  • Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    My wife and I were 100% in this together when we went in and if that was not the case our marriage would have been a casualty of war. I would consider cutting her completely out of the business end of it for the sake of the relationship. Because when you are dealing with the issues that do arise the very last thing you will be able to stomach is a cheerleader for the tenant saying “I told you so.”

    In my view the money is in repositioning a property, not a turnkey. That means dealing with issues, both tenant and building, until you swing them your way. You need a united front and a strong partner. 

    There is no doubt it pays dividends in the end. We travel a lot and I can get her nice things- and our marriage gained tremendous strength. But we earned every bit of it. And if we were not both on board we could have wound up broke and divorced or hating one another.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    As most will echo screening is the key to finding a good tenant and avoiding the crazies. However keep in mind life can turn any good tenant into a bad one. Take action immediately when dealing with any negative tenant action. Always assume the worst case when dealing with issues like non payment of rent. Never ever give a tenant the benefit of the doubt. Move fast and issue paper immediately every time. Better to apologise than stall and be sorry you waited till the grace period is up. Time is always money.

    Always do quarterly inspections of every unit you own. # months of a water leak can cause extensive damage. Never rely on tenants to report problems or trust them to comply with their lease. Trust should not be a part of your business policy.

    When screening always keep in mind every applicant will lie. The sole purpose of screening is to eliminate applicants. With this in mind applicants will never admit to flaws and will deny anything they believe will be perceived as negative by a landlord. The more eger and cooperative a applicant is th emore likely you are being conned. Always do thurough background searches to confirm everything a applicant says. Assume every word is a lie.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    ONe thing to consider is flip the tables.. become the bank.. let those that have the stomach and desire to landlord do that work.. you just collect checks each month your still invested in the exact same asset but with none of the liablities and day to day interface with PM and tenant..  there are many that should never be landlords for various reasons.. but most if not all investors can handle being note investors perfectly well.. Now I mean great performing first trust deeds/mortgages not Non perfomring seconds and non performing notes.. those are more work than landlording many times. just some options to stay in the game.. most of our note clients over the years start selling off rentals as they tire of being a landlord and re balance their portfolio.

    you can do this in an area also were @Jim K. and @Dennis M. I think live were they are bless with many lower priced homes compared to other areas.. you could simply pay cash then sell on owner contract and be the bank I have clients that do that as well.. and if you do that correctly that can work nicely and remove the landlord risk.. especially in a non appreciating environment were its all about cash flow.. and all about mitigating or lower your fixed expenses.  just some Saturday morning musing.. 

    But I have dealt with many a property buyer who thought they wanted to be landlords and they simply were not cut out for the ups an downs of it.. 

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    "they simply were not cut out for the ups an downs of it.."

    It is my opinion that the vast majority of new investors are not cut out to be landlords. This is likely the primary reason only about 5% are successful. I am referencing self managing landlords not arm chair investors.

    Successful landlords are a very special breed. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    "they simply were not cut out for the ups an downs of it.."

    It is my opinion that the vast majority of new investors are not cut out for the business. This is likely the primary reason only about 5% are successful.

    Successful landlords are a very special breed. 

    its one of the reasons that wholesalers target landlords so heavily they know were the pain points are and burnt out landlord syndrome is quite alive and well in all markets. 

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    I hear the stories of more experienced investors on the podcast all the time and I’m so glad I don’t have to get into this business without a resource like BP and all of you to help me out. I appreciate all the responses, some incredible takes here. I’m only 24, and I want to make the most of that to secure a financially free future for my family.
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Joseph Lucas Jr 

    Set and enforce rules and boundaries and you'll be fine. 

    Believe it or not, tenants (and all people) want and need them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.