• Rental Property Investor
  • Kirkland, WA
Votes |
Tenant not responding to rent raise/lease renewal

Christopher L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kirkland, WA
Posted Jul 17 2018, 13:40

My wife and I are house hacking in Burbank, CA and have run into an unusual situation with a tenant that we're not sure how to handle. He and his family have been renting from us for two years without issue, their lease having rolled into a month-to-month agreement after the first year. In that time rents in the area have increased significantly, so in June we gave him a 60-day notice that rent will be increasing and we will be asking them to re-sign a 1-year lease (our feeling being that switching to annual leases will allow us to better automate annual rent adjustments and provide us some assurance that we won't be looking for tenants in the winter months). We told them that they could think it over but we needed an answer no later than 7/15.

Unfortunately, (or perhaps, as expected) we are now past the 7/15 deadline and they still have not responded with a clear decision. We are contacting them daily explaining that they either need to sign the new lease or make clear their intentions to vacate, but they are still delaying. My concern is that we will hit the end of the lease with no signed lease and no clear idea how to proceed.

So I'm opening it up to the group here. How should we best proceed going forward? What could I have done better to prevent this ambiguity? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Loading replies...