Do you like Section 8?

Do you like Section 8?

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes

Hey guys,

I'm debating about dabbing into the Section 8 housing pool as a landlord and want to know if any of you have had good or bad experiences. Do you recommend it? Why or why not?

I see green lights all the way, but from my general past experiences, this is when I should pull over, get out of the car and look both ways :cool:

3Reply
157 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2010 · 42 posts · 24 votes
15y

Hi- Sorry to take so long getting back to your questions. Yes I do go to and take care of my properties myself. Though I mainly only go during daylight hours. Though I haven't read The Section 8 Bible I can tell you this. I fix things when they break, paint as needed between tenants, give to tenants clean and expect clean in return. I visit each every 3 months or so. My tenants are poor and struggling but I treat them with respect and get respect in return. Like Jennifer says we also rent to them if they meet our critieria. And to repeat Jennifer again the Housing Authority sends me a check every month. Good luck all. Cheers, Richard

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Aurora, CO · Member since 2009 · 200 posts · 74 votes
    15y

    Exactly as JScott said. Its an early warning system on tenants who may skip out on you and can keep utilities from being shut off.

    Great example. Local owner's tenants had water shut off. They called Sec8 to claim an uninhabitable property. Our brilliant local Sec8 stopped paying the landlord without checking the facts. He had to fight to get back rent payments and find a new tenant. If they start falling behind you want to know. Many other good reasons to know as well.

    Its good practice for all rental properties, not just sec8.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2010 · 377 posts · 56 votes
    15y

    great tip about the utility bill Jason :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.