Need some eviction help for the tenant from hell

Need some eviction help for the tenant from hell

bethel, CT · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 57 votes
Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan
4Reply
455 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe VilleneuvePro Member
Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
8y

This is going to sound a little off the wall, but if it didn't, it wouldn't come from me.  LOL.

This is something I would recommend every REI do before they buy into a market for a rental(s):

1 - Find out the day the court is doing evictions (usually it's an all day thing...and the same day(s) every week/month.

2 - Clear your schedule for the day

3 - Go to the court, bright and early that day

4 - Bring a pad of paper and pen (remember how those worked...they still do), because most courts won't let you bring your tablet, laptop, phone...into court.

5 - Sit in the middle of the room

6 - Watch and listen

7 - Take notes (see #4)

8 - Learn.

See this reply in the discussion

85 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

    at first when I would drive these rental areas I would say to whoever I am with.. this looks like our neighborhood on Saturday look at these people setting up for garage sales.. and then I would think they sure are sloppy with all the stuff they want to sell piled on the lawn or on the curb.. then I was informed those are forced move outs and the lovely tenants just leave their stuff there and off they go..  

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

    at first when I would drive these rental areas I would say to whoever I am with.. this looks like our neighborhood on Saturday look at these people setting up for garage sales.. and then I would think they sure are sloppy with all the stuff they want to sell piled on the lawn or on the curb.. then I was informed those are forced move outs and the lovely tenants just leave their stuff there and off they go..  

     Lol, Jay, I would have thought the same thing as you, since I grew up in a nice area and we had garage sales, was a fun even for the community. Talk about a reality check! Recently had a prospective tenant who seemed good in terms of income etc, but lied about being evicted - in fact, she was evicted from the very place she listed as her previous address. On the court records, noted that property owner had her and the boyfriend removed by the sheriff. Real estate is never dull. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

     Thanks for your reply. Yes the court said she was to be out on the 30th. But her social worker is pressing for more time. Unbelievable!

     Ignore her social worker. So long as she doesn't convince the court to give the tenant more time whatever she has to say is irrelevant.

     I flat wont respond to the free legal aid attorneys the few times they wanted to try to get deposits back from me.. I just tell them fine sue me if you don't like it.. get a few more sabour rattlers then they fade away.. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

    at first when I would drive these rental areas I would say to whoever I am with.. this looks like our neighborhood on Saturday look at these people setting up for garage sales.. and then I would think they sure are sloppy with all the stuff they want to sell piled on the lawn or on the curb.. then I was informed those are forced move outs and the lovely tenants just leave their stuff there and off they go..  

    Ain't no party like an eviction party.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

    at first when I would drive these rental areas I would say to whoever I am with.. this looks like our neighborhood on Saturday look at these people setting up for garage sales.. and then I would think they sure are sloppy with all the stuff they want to sell piled on the lawn or on the curb.. then I was informed those are forced move outs and the lovely tenants just leave their stuff there and off they go..  

    Ain't no party like an eviction party.

    EXCATLY either that or a very sloppy garage sale  LOL.. out our way when I have a garage sale I put Many free items then when the folks come I have a big sign that says EVERYTHING free  and that saves me a trip to the dump.. the good stuff I donate.. or if I see some folks that I think I can help I just give it to them..    I suspect not many are salvaging this stuff..  will the Cleveland  garbage folks just pick this up .. I mean it does not just rot does it.. ???  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

    at first when I would drive these rental areas I would say to whoever I am with.. this looks like our neighborhood on Saturday look at these people setting up for garage sales.. and then I would think they sure are sloppy with all the stuff they want to sell piled on the lawn or on the curb.. then I was informed those are forced move outs and the lovely tenants just leave their stuff there and off they go..  

    Ain't no party like an eviction party.

    EXCATLY either that or a very sloppy garage sale  LOL.. out our way when I have a garage sale I put Many free items then when the folks come I have a big sign that says EVERYTHING free  and that saves me a trip to the dump.. the good stuff I donate.. or if I see some folks that I think I can help I just give it to them..    I suspect not many are salvaging this stuff..  will the Cleveland  garbage folks just pick this up .. I mean it does not just rot does it.. ???  

     In Cleveland we have to come back and take everything that wasn't picked up by the tenant or stolen by the neighbors by 5pm. We then have to store it for 30 days then can dispose of it. It's a $500 fine to the landlord if you leave it there.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y

    Pro tip for those of you who may be reading this & are going to be evicted from your house in the near future.

    On move out day place several signs on the pile of your stuff that say BED BUGS. This usually keeps the rest of the neighborhood away from your stuff.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

    at first when I would drive these rental areas I would say to whoever I am with.. this looks like our neighborhood on Saturday look at these people setting up for garage sales.. and then I would think they sure are sloppy with all the stuff they want to sell piled on the lawn or on the curb.. then I was informed those are forced move outs and the lovely tenants just leave their stuff there and off they go..  

    Ain't no party like an eviction party.

    EXCATLY either that or a very sloppy garage sale  LOL.. out our way when I have a garage sale I put Many free items then when the folks come I have a big sign that says EVERYTHING free  and that saves me a trip to the dump.. the good stuff I donate.. or if I see some folks that I think I can help I just give it to them..    I suspect not many are salvaging this stuff..  will the Cleveland  garbage folks just pick this up .. I mean it does not just rot does it.. ???  

     In Cleveland we have to come back and take everything that wasn't picked up by the tenant or stolen by the neighbors by 5pm. We then have to store it for 30 days then can dispose of it. It's a $500 fine to the landlord if you leave it there.

    OK makes sense we are suppose to store stuff to.. but I don't do that .. I just haul it to the dump and tell them to sue me if they don't like it.. because I have all my fancy trusts series LLC and other asset protection set up so no one can get a judgement from me anyway.

    I would think there is not enough storage units to go around if every actually stored this junk.. and or this is a niche

    start a haul off storage for landlords and PMs  one call does it all.. haul it to your storage charge the landlord the haul off and the storage.. that seems like a nice additional profit center for an enterprising PM company .. and your just following the letter of the law which as a broker you probably have to do .. me I don't care I can hold my own against a dead beat tenant..  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Keenan:
    Hi BP, need some help here about a tenant im evicting .. short story she lies about paying rent and constantly late. There is always a major catastrophe in her life. Anyway got a lawyer involved and the decision was she has to be out by September 30th 2018.. today she calls me up asking for a extension because she cannot find a place. I tell her sorry I cannot and there is a agreement in place. After that she tells me goodluck and see you in court again. Next her husband calls me up and tells me he doesn't like the way I'm treating his wife. Keep in mind this is the same husband who just got out of jail for trying to kill her... same guy who broke her jaw and same guy she pleaded with me to change her locks which I went half on. So with all that said if she's not out by the 30th what will the court do? When is enough enough with this kind of tenants? How should I handle future interactions with this tenant and her husband? The house is in a real nice area just got a real bad tenant . Thanks! Ryan

     Have you obtained a writ of restitution from the court? IE are the bailiffs coming out on Sept 30th to physically remove these people? If that is not the case and you just have a signed agreement with these tenants you've got nothing. You need a writ issued by the court. Once you get that ignore all contact from the tenant. On move out day everything that is left in the home (including the people) can  be removed. 

    at first when I would drive these rental areas I would say to whoever I am with.. this looks like our neighborhood on Saturday look at these people setting up for garage sales.. and then I would think they sure are sloppy with all the stuff they want to sell piled on the lawn or on the curb.. then I was informed those are forced move outs and the lovely tenants just leave their stuff there and off they go..  

    Ain't no party like an eviction party.

    EXCATLY either that or a very sloppy garage sale  LOL.. out our way when I have a garage sale I put Many free items then when the folks come I have a big sign that says EVERYTHING free  and that saves me a trip to the dump.. the good stuff I donate.. or if I see some folks that I think I can help I just give it to them..    I suspect not many are salvaging this stuff..  will the Cleveland  garbage folks just pick this up .. I mean it does not just rot does it.. ???  

     In Cleveland we have to come back and take everything that wasn't picked up by the tenant or stolen by the neighbors by 5pm. We then have to store it for 30 days then can dispose of it. It's a $500 fine to the landlord if you leave it there.

    OK makes sense we are suppose to store stuff to.. but I don't do that .. I just haul it to the dump and tell them to sue me if they don't like it.. because I have all my fancy trusts series LLC and other asset protection set up so no one can get a judgement from me anyway.

    I would think there is not enough storage units to go around if every actually stored this junk.. and or this is a niche

    start a haul off storage for landlords and PMs  one call does it all.. haul it to your storage charge the landlord the haul off and the storage.. that seems like a nice additional profit center for an enterprising PM company .. and your just following the letter of the law which as a broker you probably have to do .. me I don't care I can hold my own against a dead beat tenant..  

     Well it's kind of already set up as it's own mini business. Ya see in Cleveland there is a list of court appointed movers. Landlord's, Pm's etc... are not allowed to remove the tenants stuff. You have to use a court appointed mover from the court's list. There are like 10 of them on there. So when doing evictions we pay those guys to store the stuff as well. After the 30 days they either throw it away or sell it.

    Side note those dudes do not play around. A couple of them own properties as well, you don't want to cross those guys. They (like me) are not Brokers. They are not typically concerned with landlord/tenant rules & regulations. When you don't pay them rent it can be physically dangerous (allegedly).

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 191 posts · 432 votes
    8y
    @Ryan Keenan once you allow a tenant to be late, you open a door of acceptance of that behavior. Usually they will be even later the next time. Unfortunately you have to be a constant dick or they will try to play on your emotions.
  • Specialist · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 128 votes
    8y

    Um.  What are you doing?  Mistake # 1 having in depth personal conversation with your tenants.  Do you think  McDonalds wants to chat with the person in their drive through about how hungry their kids are and why the fries should be free?  Mistake # 2 tolerating any delay.  If you don’t immediately take steps to let a tenant know you are not playing around, they, like children, will continue to test your boundaries.  Mistake # 3 seeking legal advice on BP when for a few hundred bucks, you could be on your way to having a lawyer advise you and kick these tenants out.  You are ruining a business not a therapy hotline.  Whatever is going on in their lives is irrelevant to your return on investment.  Think about it like a business, set it up like a business, treat it like a business, earn money on it like a business.  That’s it....that’s the secret formula....good luck....

  • Specialist · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 128 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs  At last I have to say I respectfully disagree.  Your approach of just hauling their stuff out only has to go wrong once.  I have been on the tenant side more than once and all the asset protection devices in the world do nothing for you if you are the guy who had to sell his warehouse to pay my attorneys’ fees judgment.  Having said that some jurisdictions are more landlord friendly than others which is why people ought to get their legal advice from lawyers not BP.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Eric Jacobs:

    @Jay Hinrichs  At last I have to say I respectfully disagree.  Your approach of just hauling their stuff out only has to go wrong once.  I have been on the tenant side more than once and all the asset protection devices in the world do nothing for you if you are the guy who had to sell his warehouse to pay my attorneys’ fees judgment.  Having said that some jurisdictions are more landlord friendly than others which is why people ought to get their legal advice from lawyers not BP.  

     NO ONE SHOULD follow my advice with regards to how to deal with tenants.. I agree with you just stated what I personally do when it comes to deposits when the tnenat leaves and thinks they did no damage.. I keep the deposits if the house is not broom clean.. or they skip out on last months rent which they know the deposit Is the last months rent.. I am just sick of tenants .. just give me solid performing notes all day long.. 

  • Specialist · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 128 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs that’s funny.... I was just telling someone I work with today how much I prefer lending sometimes ... 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Eric Jacobs:

    @Jay Hinrichs that’s funny.... I was just telling someone I work with today how much I prefer lending sometimes ... 

    I am suffering from and advanced case of burnt out landlord syndrome..  the few MHPs I have owned over the years whilie reposition plays IE cleaning the tweakers out.. were a little easier.. and once stabilized Much easier.. we just gave them the MH and just charged space rent.. that is what I do when ever I buy a park I either sell those single wide's for a few grand or give them to the tenants.. 

    so I value them purely like a lender would  just on pad rent.. not on the house rent..   

    I will jump back in one day I am sure some screaming deal will come my way and I will be a landlord again.. but not unless its SOOOO good I just cant say no.. And or I can scale to create a business out of it like I did 7 8 years ago and was not actually dealing with the day to day tenant and PM drama.

  • Specialist · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 187 posts · 128 votes
    8y

    I never understood MHP to the point of feeling I could gain any competitive advantage so I stayed away but I’ve always been interested due to what you described above... I live in S Fla so unless you gamble, just want management fees or are happy to park money... buying MF is not really happening ... right now it’s about waiting for nervous developers to capitulate in bulk or making deals with the loan to own lenders last in the door 

  • Bay Area, CA · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    @James Wise the picture of the crib is how I know I’ll always need to use PMs! I’m too soft! I’ll get better but in this case the maxim “know thyself” applies.
  • Property Manager · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2012 · 51 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @Ryan Keenan You should absolutely accept every single rent check for each month that they stay but make sure you write on the back for use and occupancy only. This does not create a new tenancy for every payment. Please consult with your attorney of course but this is what I have been advised to do for over 20 years. Document everything in writing even if they call you write it in the file put a date and description. Raise your screening criteria to weed out the bad apples in the future. Best of luck.
  • Rental Property Investor · Larkspur, CO · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 179 votes
    8y

    @Cheryl Gleason @Ryan Keenan I too find the advice to take no money at all a bit of a foreign concept having gone through a rough eviction process and never run into that advice from my lawyer. This could very well differ from state to state, and granted, my situation wasn't due to late or missing rent, but to me, even if they still pay, so long they've broken the contract in one way shape or form, you have grounds for eviction. Be sure to at least look at this closely before you're potentially tossing out perfectly good money. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    At the time of processing applicants did it ever show up as a Redflag?


  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 719 posts · 658 votes
    8y

    You have to contact the lawyer who was handling that eviction.

    Mine was going to file writof restitution a few days before the court order to vacate the house - in your case September 30th. So, September 23-25 if the Tenant is still there, your attorney files the writ and there will be a show "eviction".

    We have to store their things for a month and pay to the movers and storage, change locks and that's it.

    If the tenants moved out by the date in the court order, no need to file for the writ - just go inside, change locks, fix it and re rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 105 votes
    8y

    @Ryan Keenan Cash for keys and move on...I know it's brutal, but don't let bad tenants ruin you as an investor. Been there, done that. Good Luck!

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Do not contact her again outside of court. They may trash your place, but allow the eviction process to play out. Sheriffs will show up if they refuse to move. If they pay rent at the eviction hearing you will have to keep them. Did their lease expire?
  • Member since 2018 · 214 posts · 175 votes
    8y
    @Ryan Keenan Whether the bad tenants find a new place or not by 9/30 is her problem, not your problem. If she cannot find a new place by then, sheriff will give her a 24-hours from 9/30, then sheriff lock her out from the property, you hire a locksmith to change the lock, then sheriff will post a big yellow tape at the door that “no body can enter”, and she will just sleep in her car or sleep on the street until she/her social worker can find her a new place.
  • bethel, CT · Member since 2015 · 335 posts · 57 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    @Ryan Keenan

    Whether the bad tenants find a new place or not by 9/30 is her problem, not your problem.

    If she cannot find a new place by then, sheriff will give her a 24-hours from 9/30, then sheriff lock her out from the property, you hire a locksmith to change the lock, then sheriff will post a big yellow tape at the door that “no body can enter”, and she will just sleep in her car or sleep on the street until she/her social worker can find her a new place.

     I heard she can file an execution to stay? Also, can I change my own lock or do I need a locksmith?

    Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.