Steel wool in the holes. I'm going to second what @Matthew Paul said. You want snap traps inside because you don't want your tenant's pets or kids eating rat poison baits. Tomcat makes a disposable bait station that kids and animals supposedly can't get into, I don't trust those.
Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y
Buy some snap traps, bait them and put them in areas inaccessible to children/pets. (Like in the back of base cabinets or behind appliances.) Then, most importantly, search for their vector of entry and seal it up!
Steel wool in the holes. I'm going to second what @Matthew Paul said. You want snap traps inside because you don't want your tenant's pets or kids eating rat poison baits. Tomcat makes a disposable bait station that kids and animals supposedly can't get into, I don't trust those.
Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
8y
@Michael Neves You need to find out how they are getting in and seal it up. Then get some traps going. Or call a pest company to come out and handle it. What kind of building is it?
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
8y
As others said don’t buy poisons only snap traps or glue traps .when mittens or Fido mysteriously cross over into the great unknown you will be the first person the tenant will be looking to sue if you use poisons
Snap traps work well but can be a issue for tenants having to remove dead mice and rats.
Ongoing I always use poison and place it in areas that kids and pets can not access. Poison is a excellent preventive when used outside around the property. You need to eliminate them before they get in rather than after.
Try as you might to stop them if they want in they will find a way.
Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 7 votes
7y
@Michael Neves Please realize that is not just a 1 time fix. I would suggest using concrete where ever possible and plan to inspect the area where they have been coming through periodically. I have had mice and rat issues and spent thousands on exterminators only to realize its more effective to seal the holes and monitor the area. Also like mentioned above those tomcat traps with some peanut butter as bait does wonders.