I am curious if there are areas zoned such that they only allow people to buy homes there and not rent. I ask because I was on rent.com and when I searched an area near me, there were some places with tons of rentals and other places with square miles of land that has plenty of homes there but none for rent. If so, can someone please point me in the direction of a website that will show you areas zoned against renters? Thank you!
Investor · Missoula, MT · Member since 2015 · 242 posts · 177 votes
8y
@Hunter Eidmann I don’t know of websites that show where renting is not available but I don’t know that sometimes HOAs will not allow renting or other covenants in the areas. I was talking to a potential seller about a week ago that owns half of a duplex, but their covenants don’t allow for renting. My solution to that would be to do some sort of seller finance deal to a buyer and still be able to make monthly income off of a house that I can’t rent.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
@Hunter Eidmann I’m not aware of any zoning that prohibits rentals. HOA regulations may.
I think you’re less likely to find rentals in more rural areas, away from public transportation, etc. I But of course that’s all location-specific.
Around me, go a mile away, and there aren’t many rentals since the SFHs all have yards that need maintanance and larger, more expensive homes. Very few people will pay $3K/mo when there are smaller houses for $1500 nearby.