Would you hold back the tenant's pet deposit for carpet?

Would you hold back the tenant's pet deposit for carpet?

Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 116 posts · 88 votes

I just recently switched over tenants in my manufactured home out of state. The old tenant was good, and left the place in decent shape. Then only thing is that the carpets, which area bout 5 years old, are in such disrepair....tearing at the edges, etc. I had a carpet guy go out to stretch it and re-staple it down, but he said it is too worn to even be stretched. The tenant had two big dogs (which I made an exception for, and she gave me a $1,000 pet deposit on top of her regular deposit to cover extra issues they might cause). 

The new tenant is texting me pictures, showing me how horrible the carpet is, which I did not know it was that bad. I have a friend who does my turnovers for me, and to her it was just "normal wear and tear", but two people in one year...I just don't know if that is normal wear and tear? Would you hold back the pet deposit to cover the carpet replacement that I now need to do? I'm sure the carpet would have been coming up for replacement sometime soon, but now it is in disrepair, and I just feel like her dogs did more damage to it than she wants to admit. Do I have any recourse to hold back the pet deposit?

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
7y

Carpet has a 5-7 year useful life in my opinion. So you were probably going to have to replace them soon anyways, like you said. I would split the difference. Send old tenant pictures that the new tenant sent you, you can be the 'nice guy' and offer to split it with her. Have you received a quote for new carpet?

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    Carpet has a 5-7 year useful life in my opinion. So you were probably going to have to replace them soon anyways, like you said. I would split the difference. Send old tenant pictures that the new tenant sent you, you can be the 'nice guy' and offer to split it with her. Have you received a quote for new carpet?

  • Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 116 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    No, I’ve been waiting for the carpet guy to get back to me on a quote, but he’s taking a reaaaallly long time. 

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    7y

    A good source for life expectancy.   Some carpets are only good for 5 years.  It really depends on the product installed.  I would be the carpet had a 5 yr life because its manufactured (double wide?) home.  Mfrs don't put high quality products in those double wides.  (Sorry just saying) 

    Compare your moving pictures to your move out pictures of the same area. This will show you how much damage has been done. You can tell damage from wear and tear.

    The carpet needs to be replaced it appears.  Maybe charge $100 a dog on damages?  But I would say you need to eat most the cost of carpet. 

    https://www.nachi.org/life-expectancy.htm

  • Specialist · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 557 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    As the others have said, I think you'll need to eat the majority of the cost for replacing the carpet. While the dogs may have caused more wear and tear than a tenant without dogs, it is within the normal timeframe for wear and tear. As Jim said, maybe just charge around $100 per dog for the damages. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    7y

    It depends how willing the old tenant is to fight it. If you withhold some/all of the deposit, and they feel strongly about it (or can afford the time & money to fight it), it might cost you more than you think. On something 5 years old I would probably let it go. But I wouldn't put new carpet back in either. I'd go with a good quality all-vinyl floating laminate type floor - it will be virtually pet-proof. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 94 votes
    7y

    Unfortunately it sounds like the carpet was due to be replaced anyways

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    What ever you do I would strongly advise you do not put carpet back in. Carpet has no place in a rental property. Replace the carpet with vinyl plank and you will be better prepared for tenant abuse.

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I think you need to check in with the laws for your city or whoever governs rental properties where that one is. Different states/cities will have different laws on this, but it should give an idea of whether you can claim damage versus "normal wear and tear". And they will define what can and can't be held out on a security deposit. Or just find out how much room you have to maneuver on that.

  • Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    This is why I charge a "pet fee" and not a pet deposit.  I also charge a monthly pet fee.  Like Thomas S said, don't put carpet back. Vinyl is your friend.. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I would check local laws but given age of the carpet i think you cant charge anything beyond cleaning.   the carpet is past its useful life so there is no cost left to charge for damage. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 57 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Sarah Young I suggest charging a pet fee. That way it covers any damages. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Our 'pet deposits' are non-refundable & we charge $25/month per pet.

    The worst pet we allowed was an African Grey parrot. That thing could scream the place down ... gone!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.