Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 176 votes
My property manager contacted me to let me know a tenant in one of my duplexes has been given a dog. They asked me if I would consider collecting a 200.00 pet deposit and 25.00 a month for pet rent or if I wanted to evict them. It’s a c class property with mostly hardwood floors. I’m waiting to hear back on what type of breed the dog is. If it’s an ‘aggressive ‘ breed I might ask them to get rid of the dog or start the eviction process.
What’s everyone’s thoughts? In a perfect world the tenant would have asked first but the dog is already in the house. Does a 200 pet deposit and 25 pet rent a month sound fair? I’d like to keep the tenant in place and not deal with eviction and and temporary vacancy.
Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y
@Mark Frattini My partner and I recently decided to accept pets into one of our new projects in Berwyn. The reasoning was that we could get an extra $25 per month for the pet rent. If you have a larger building, that extra $300 per year starts to make sense. Each pet is worth $4,285 in building value... My building has 19 units, so if I collect pet rent in 10 units I can refinance 70% of that $42,850 out when I pull cash out...
Little things like this can make a big difference over time!
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 9 votes
7y
We accept pets at $25 per pet per month (limit 2 dogs), and we must met the dog first (cats we don't need to met) to see if they are aggressive or not.
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 338 posts · 176 votes
7y
Wow, lots of really great ideas. Thanks for the responses. If it comes down to an eviction this is the most difficult time of the year to re-tenant the property due to poor weather (Michigan) and holidays. It wouldn't strain the finances as the other tenants rent will cover the expenses however it might be vacant for approx. 1-3 months. This is also a unit that can take a bit more time to rent out due to its non traditional layout. Maybe a property type I would not purchase again. Having said that I understand what a lot are saying about sticking to the lease and not having the tenant dictate the terms of the lease agreement. I think I would be okay with a dog in this unit and this might be a way to get a bit more income if I decide to let them keep it. I might do as others suggest and make sure she gets rental insurance, charge a "pet rent" of at least $25/month and possibly $250 security deposit/cleaning fee. I'm waiting to hear back on what type of breed and how big of a dog.
@Kyle Schlosser good question, singles. I also might feel differently if they were multis.
Which is another reason I (personally) like SFH, as one group of tenants has no effect on another group. I also rent B housing as Russell does, allow pets, and have never had a problem. Things fit together, like puzzles, and good, clean tenants with stable jobs, decent cars, stable relationships and good credit history tend to have good pets. Though I will say I'm not that fond of cats and generally limit pets to 1. More times than not someone with a boatload of pets is demonstrating their lack of responsibility, as it's difficult to properly care for more than a couple of animals.
@Kyle Schlosser good question, singles. I also might feel differently if they were multis.
Which is another reason I (personally) like SFH, as one group of tenants has no effect on another group. I also rent B housing as Russell does, allow pets, and have never had a problem. Things fit together, like puzzles, and good, clean tenants with stable jobs, decent cars, stable relationships and good credit history tend to have good pets. Though I will say I'm not that fond of cats and generally limit pets to 1. More times than not someone with a boatload of pets is demonstrating their lack of responsibility, as it's difficult to properly care for more than a couple of animals.
I find my tenants with dogs stay a lot longer, because they have a much harder time finding places that take dogs. One of my rentals is on a half acre lot with a fenced in yard. One of my previous tenants actually paid to put the fence in on that property for his dogs, and the next and current tenant had dogs. That property they tend to stay 3-4 years before they leave.
Property Manager · Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 170 posts · 59 votes
7y
Hi @Mark Frattini this is pretty close to what we do, but do a refundable deposit. This gives the tenant motivation to try and keep the pet from destroying the property.
Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
If your policy is NO PETS, then stick to the policy......stick to the lease in hand. NO EXCEPTIONS
If you rent to pet owners, but this tenant just didn't happen to have a pet when they moved in, but does now, then ok.....
I rent to pet owners and have a $800 refundable pet deposit per pet.....with limits on breed etc based on my insurance.....my units rent for around $1650...... $200 pet deposit wont cover squat......
@Kyle Schlosser good question, singles. I also might feel differently if they were multis.
I allow dogs in my single family, but the problem in multi is if one gets a pet, you will have trouble saying no to the others. Or noise passes through the thin walls and suddenly a tenant who doesn't like dogs is complaining about barking. Not to mention common areas, where not everyone may clean up the poo.
@Mark Frattini My partner and I recently decided to accept pets into one of our new projects in Berwyn. The reasoning was that we could get an extra $25 per month for the pet rent. If you have a larger building, that extra $300 per year starts to make sense. Each pet is worth $4,285 in building value... My building has 19 units, so if I collect pet rent in 10 units I can refinance 70% of that $42,850 out when I pull cash out...
Little things like this can make a big difference over time!
The analysis isn't this simple. You have to consider how many good renters you are going to lose over the barking and the added wear and tear on the common areas. Can you imagine the amount of wall barking they would have? Would also have to consider the vacancy effects (positive or negative), possible extra maintenance and setting up a spot for them to go to the bathroom.
I like pets, have them, allow them in all SF houses I own, but do not allow them in MF. I don't want the tenant-tenant drama.
Investor · Columbia, MO · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 6 votes
7y
I always do a nonrefundable pet deposit. And it sounds like the tenant is being upfront with you. I have had tenants tell me that they don’t have a pet and then find out later they do. It does not sound like they are being unreasonable but I always make them sign on the lease another form that if the Pet does any damage to the property that they are liable for it. Typically I try not to do patch but unfortunately most tenants have some kind of pet. Mark Frattini
I'd have them either get rid of the dog or move out. One exception will likely lead to another. You might even get those people who just say "Naa, we don't need to tell the landlord. He's cool about this stuff." If that pet isn't in the lease, then it's not ok for them to have it there no matter what. Also, I would send an email to the PM reminding him or her about the importance of upholding leases.
Investor · La Porte, IN · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 14 votes
7y
@Mark Frattini
Unless they are brand new hardwood floors, I typically accept pets. I do not charge a pet deposit, but I do charge a pet rent. There are a few things to consider when accepting pets.
Pros:
1. Pet rent is more income
2. You can still charge for damages using the normal security deposit.
3. You can let the tenant know that you will perform walk throughs more often to check for damages and charge accordingly.
4. Tenants with pets seem to stay longer, likely because other landlords will not accept them.
5. Your pool of potential tenants is significantly higher.
Cons:
1. Damages can be extensive if you do not check on the property often enough to catch issues.
2. In multifamily units, other tenants might complain of noises/smells.
3. Risk of being sued if dog bites someone.
Ultimately, you need to decide what is best for you. There are always many pluses and minuses to consider.
Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
7y
If you normally allow pets and this dog is not a dangerous dog on list of breeds then charge them a refundable $250-$500 deposit for the pet and per month increase in rent. If they had pet for more than a week without saying something I would charge them a prorated fee or one extra month of pet fee. As mentioned before collecting a one time fee sounds great but the tenant thinks that fee gives them permission to allow pet to pee and you wont charge them or for any minor damages the pet does.
With refundable deposit they will work harder to manage their pets in hopes to get their money back after move out.
Rental Property Investor · Butte, MT · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
7y
Regardless of the breed, I would go interact with the dog. Make the tenant meet you at a local park with the new family member. Don't do it at the property. You will learn about the temperament of the animal and a lot about what kind of dog owner the tenant is. I always know within 60 seconds if i am ok with the pet in my property or not.
Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
7y
I allow pets but I make it not worth it for them to have an animal there. 200 dollar non refundable and 20 dollars a month.
As far as the lease violation I would make it hurt that much more for them. 300 dollars non refundable fee and 25-50 a month. Or if you want kick them out. You said it’s a C unit so be firm with them. Don’t bend your policy or make money from it.
Southbay, CA · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 18 votes
7y
Had this same issue about a month ago. We are open to pets but the tenants said a friend asked them to watch the dog and then left the dog with them. The downstairs neighbor alerted us that the pitbull (not allowed) was urinating from the balcony. We gave them about 5 days(it was a holiday weekend) to find placement for the dog or we would proceed with an eviction. We follow the lease.
Investor · Mogadore, OH · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
7y
First, does your current lease agreement state they cannot have pets? Before, you evict them, I would verify you have the right to evict them with your attorney to avoid making a minor problem worse.
If it is a vicious dog, Cassi is correct, your Rental Owner insurance carrier will want to know and may cancel your policy is considered "aggressive breed" by their underwriters. Many insurance carriers are moving toward no aggressive pets as the injuries and ultimate liability claims are a nightmare and ongoing with neighbors/tenants which also makes them costly over time.
If the dog is eligible on your current insurance plan and you agree to allow the pet... I would base your deposit and monthly surcharge on the potential damage typical of pet ownership (floors/moulding/corners chewed). Do you mind if your hardwood floors may get scratched up? etc...
Lastly, as an insurance agent- I would make sure you get an umbrella policy if you don't already have one to further insulate you from liability created with the dog (if you begin allowing pets-increasing your exposure).
Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
7y
@Mark Frattini My first tenant in my first property had a puppy given to her son by a grandmother dying of cancer. I allowed him to keep it and his bedroom laminate floor has raised seams where the dog has peed. I have since heard the dying of cancer two other times with other tenants and had one more sneak in a dog on a wood floor-no dog property. Depending upon how nice your floors are I would tell them to get rid of the dog...or move. Your lease should charge them a months rent or their deposit for breaking the lease. My lease says $500 and $10 a day afterwards for unapproved pets. Telling you after the fact shows a lack of responsibility that may foreshadow pet owner type shirking of responsibility.
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
In a class C property I would be wary of allowing a pet if the area and property dictated you have a no pet policy in the first place. Don't mention eviction yet. Just tell her to get rid of the pet within the week and see where it goes.
Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
You can win on principle and tell them they are violating the lease, start the eviction process, and lose (what I presume is) a good tenant, or you can make this an opportunity to increase cash flow and keep a good tenant happy.
You have not provided any response to being question on what your lease says regarding dogs.
Does your lease allow dogs or not. If it allows dogs what are the details regarding fees.
My guess, since you have not provided details, is that you do not have a pet policy and, if that is the case, what ever you do will be a violation of your tenants legal rights. If that is the case legally you must allow the dog and may not charge any fees. If they were on a M2M you could change your policy now otherwise you must wait till the lease is up to introduce a pet policy.
Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 28 votes
7y
@Mark Frattini Please don’t be breed restrictive. There are no “aggressive” dogs as you say. Chihuahuas are one of the most aggressive breeds out there and I’m sure you weren’t talking about them.
I’m currently renting and have 2 cats. I paid $250 for my deposit and $25 in pet rent per month. This was in Prescott AZ and it’s pretty much the same here in Phoenix AZ.