Dirty tenant clause in the Lease

Dirty tenant clause in the Lease

Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 2 votes

I have a tenant that is going on 3rd year and their contract is due to be renewed. They do occasionally pay late but within grace period ( I have 5 days). 

I am planning to put them month to month and try to entice promped payments with discount as I raise the rent. 

My bigger question is how much to go into the detail regarding cleanliness/ organization? Is it legal in Pennsylvania if anyone know? 

 They have boxes in the hallways ( it is a townhouse), toys everywhere, dishes stacked, sometimes some trash outside that I pick up during my lawn care/ inspection times, some trash/hair in the bathroom  

I want to give them a chance since I know there is no such thing as perfect tenant and I know I can always rent this place after some fixing up.

The other option is not to renew contract but I don’t know for sure if next tenant will be cleaner/ better organized. 

I created this to add to the renewal notice: 

Addendum to “Tenant will keep the property clean and safe”. Renewal Lease will define “clean and safe” as:

- No boxes/bags in the hallways or walkways or against the walls.Clothing/bags/boxes can be organized in the closets with ability to walk in freely into the bedrooms.

- Floors/Carpets/bathroom floors cleaned (swept/mopped/vacuumed) reasonably (minimum once a month)  

- Separate pet waste from litter DAILY and change litter box at least TWICE EACH WEEK. Place soiledlitter inthe bagsand dispose of itIN THE MAIN GARBAGE CAN OUTSIDE.

- Clothing, toys or other belongingsshould be kept in organized way in the basement/ living room/ kitchenwithout potential on stepping on them.

- Toilet and bathtubs cleaned within reasonat least once a month (no trash/hair in the bathtub or on the floor. Toilet bowl shall be cleaned.)

- Trash must be taken out on the weekly basis. TRASH MUST BE INSIDE AN OUTDOOR TRASH CANS, NOT OUTSIDE ON THE LAWN/MULCH BEDS OR ON THE DECK AT ANYTIME.

- Shed shall be kept organized.

- Outdoor pet food/houses/covers are prohibited on the outsideof the property.

- Kitchen stove/ refrigerator/ microwave/sink must be maintained clean without grease/stains when possible.

- Toys, and other belongings on the Deck and lawn/patio/outdoor areas must be organized and not lay all around the property/yard. Non outdoor furniture should not be stored on the deck  

- Landlord reserves the right to inspect the property with at least 24 hours notice when deemed necessary (pursuing Section 11 of the Lease), but at a minimum every 3 months for routine inspection. I usually try to give at least 1 week notice to allow for you to clean the property.

All the comments are appreciated. Sorry for the long question. 

0Reply
182 views

Most Popular Reply

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

@Stan F.

Wow.

Are you gonna be over there TWICE EACH WEEK inspecting the litter box to see if the litter's been changed? Maybe take some shots of cat crap every visit "to document noncompliance with lease restrictions"? I could just see it now, you with a little messaging whiteboard to write the date and time on, pose it above the litter box, get the angle right on the shot, oops, too much reflection off the board, can't read it in the photo, take another...

Then you get all your jpegs together in a little slideshow to show the magistrate on your laptop. "Your Honor, if you would just kindly take a look at this evidence I've accumulated..." and have him looking at cat-crap-candid-camera for fifteen minutes, "No, no, your Honor, one more, just one more, you HAVE to see this next one!"

BiggerPockets, you treasure trove of landlord-tenant comedy, you!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    "I just don’t want it to get to that point"

    I understand but unfortunately as a landlord you often have very little control aside from your ability to non renew the lease of those tenant you suspect of being a problem. I would prefer to be proactive and take the risk/suffer the cost  of finding a better tenant. You can not teach a old tenant new tricks. A tenant turn over is far less costly and less stressful than a infestation remediation. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    If you really feel you need to do a housekeeping clause in any detail you need to Non-renew, you don't like them but can't control them either.  I would just put something on vermin and common area upkeep. If the shed is shared be specific on what has to change (i.e. if they are using 3/4 of a shed that they are supposed to have half of give them a lease violation and time to remedy).   If you mow and can't do so due to their toys then specify a charge for coming back to do that. Yes, slobs may cause damage through their behavior but you can't police someone elses housekeeping on a regular basis, you will just get yourself crazy. 

  • Investor · Telford, PA · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    This is just bonkers. 

    (Constructive advice already given by prior respondents...)

  • Rental Property Investor · south Alabama · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    The only thing I have in my rental agreements is that toys, furniture, cars etc should be kept off of the lawn and out of the lawn service’s way. That is one pet peeve of mine is seeing cars all over the lawn creating ruts everywhere. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.