My current status: 3 rental properties... Am I doing it right?

My current status: 3 rental properties... Am I doing it right?

Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes

This question is for experienced investors...  Am I investing correctly? Or should I change strategies? I am buying the worst houses in good areas and fixing them up and renting them out.  The below numbers I am not including maintenance and inoccupancy. The rehab costs include any maint over past two years for two of them. The third, everything is new.,  Everything is in tip top shape and easy to manage. (2 Bed 1 bath single floor under 1000 sq ft.   All profits go back into the business for those rainy days.. I haven't taken a dime out.

First property purchased off of Auction.com. 

Purchase price: $42,000

complete rehab cost: $45,000

rental:   $1250  month

expenses monthly: $400 taxes and $70 insurance

I am refinancing this one. Appraisal came back @ $140K. Taking $84,000 @ 5.5%

Second property purchased off mls.

Purchase price $60,000

complete rehab cost: $60,000

rental monthly: $1500

expenses: $500 taxes and $70 insurance

This one I purchased through a S corp and would need a commercial loan to refinance.  Holding off for now because of the higher rates.

Third property purchased off of the mls. Which is my best deal yet, but didn't realize it when I bought it.

Purchase price $60,000

complete rehab cost: $43,000

rental income: $1550

This just appraised @ $190K.  I am going to take out $114K @ 5.5%.  I could take out up to 80% @5.875, but don't want to push it...

So the money I am taking out is going to help pay off my HELOC that I used to purchase these. I should be closing in next week or two. Are these good investments? Should I look to continue adding more now that I have more money to spend? Are there better opportunities elsewhere? Currently these are within 10 minutes of my house which I am managing on my own. Goal is to get 10 doors in next few years and quit my job working in NYC...

Would like to get into multi family, but not finding any opportunities near where I live in North New Jersey.  Any thoughts, or things I should look to change for future investments, or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks so much.

25Reply
237 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y

@Chris B. Sounds like you are nailing it!

Keep up the good work.

I beleive that the key is to finding a deal, that is were you make your money.

If you can keep using the BRRR methode you can keep buying houses.

You are meeting your goals so much faster by reinvesting in yourself instead of spending some of the profits along the way. Great Job!

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Townsend, MA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    I'm apprecaiting this discussion, but @Thomas S., I'm wondering if you would explain what you mean by, "SFH are a extremely high risk in themselves"? I've never thought of SFH as high risk and would appreciate an explanation.

  • Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Robert Biggerstaff wow... 35000 and rent for $800 a month.  These houses are all ready to go at that number?  Good quality tenants?  Decent neighborhoods?  Those are some crazy numbers...  thanks...

  • Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 303 posts · 240 votes
    7y

     Those are D+ in C minus properties the thing that I found is the higher the cost less cash flow that you get ......I am definitely not saying that you’re wrong if those numbers work for you and you like your results then keep on doing it that’s the beauty of real estate we can all do it just a little bit different

  • Townsend, MA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    First SFH are a extremely high risk in themselves

  • Townsend, MA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    I'm really appreciating this discussion, but @Thomas S. is it possible to explain how SFH's are extremely high risk? I've always thought of them as stable, never thought of them as high risk. Is it possible to help me understand what I'm missing?

  • Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Shane Bracewell I have a 12 acre farm but work in New York City. I have almost a 2 hour commute when I go into the office. Two or three days a week. I listen to podcasts religiously. That’s where I learned. Bigger pockets being my favorite on Thursdays. As far as building my team, I asked everyone I talked to for recommendations. Same names start showing up... I used to get 3 quotes for each job. Now I know who to call for each project and have a good idea of how much it will cost. Takes time....

  • Real Estate Agent · Freehold, NJ · Member since 2018 · 115 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    @Chris B.

    Sounds like you’re doing a great job. Even with a full rehab I would put a little money away for cap ex and repairs just to build it up a bit. Other than that are you planning on property management in the future?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Appraisal does not equal market value.  If your true market value is anywhere near the appraisal value, then you nailed it.  I'd almost argue that you should sell properties with that much inferred equity, rather than keep them.  You already made money, far quicker than being a landlord.  

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ/PA · Member since 2016 · 555 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    @Chris B. I am in N. NJ too. Nj is hard due to high price and tax. Who do you get refinancing from?

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    @Chris B.

    Great numbers.

    Flip that one

  • New to Real Estate · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    @Chris B. For your purchase amounts. Is that capital that you already had or are you getting it from other investors?
  • Rental Property Investor · Ballwin, MO · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Dennis M. This is something I'm debating myself. I've got mostly sfh too but considering multis. Dennis sounds like you prefer multi-unit? Is your reasoning basically better returns? Hope you see this because I definitely thinking of this avenue and would like to hear from people who have done both sfh and multis.
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris B.:

    @Dennis M. thanks. Can you give me an example of the numbers on a multi you did? Don't have to get to detailed. Sooo curious the ROI on multi vs. SFH...

    39k-1820 rents ( I pay utilities on this one  

    35k-1500 rents 

    22k-950 rents

    .........

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    @Jack Moran

    SFHs are high risk of income investors for two reasons. First you have all your money tied up in only one tenant. Any vacancy is 100% loss of income. Expenses on a SFH are far higher per tenant than that of a multi. Additionally the value of a SFH is driven by home buyers market not investors.

  • Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Steven McCutcheon. Working full time right now, I am not seeing property management in the near future. If I lost my job, or can make enough to do full time, you never know. I will just keep adding more over the next few years....

  • Investor · Newfoundland, NJ · Member since 2017 · 37 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Ethan Smith call the Credit Union of New Jersey. Ask for Deborah O’Conner. She helped me.. You or someone in your immediate family needs to be a part of the Union though. I just setup an account online and then they accepted that...

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    @Chris B.

    "If I can get these all paid off, there’s a ton of positive cash flow."

    That is the common opinion of a novice or hobby investors. Not being able to differentiate between earning income and buying income. Dead equity comes at a very high cost. 

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 719 posts · 313 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris B.:

    @Kurt K. yes I am self managing. I am the initial contact with all issues. I have a good team built up though. plumbers, electricians and handymen. My main goal is getting everything fixed ASAP and with brand new stuff. No tenant has left me yet as I am going into year 3 of REI... Hoping to be able to do this full time in coming years.

    Fixing everything ASAP is the key ,plus you have a great house that wows folks makes it easy to rent .

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Charles, IL · Member since 2014 · 304 posts · 222 votes
    7y
    @Chris B. Definitely on right track. May I suggest that you apply same approach to a small multi unit/s to help yourself scale faster and reach your goals more quickly.
  • Rental Property Investor · south Alabama · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    Man those taxes are insane! I know it’s deductible, but still.

  • Rental Property Investor · AL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    @Jnon Griffin please connect with me. I am always looking for realtors in Alabama, I live in Mobile. Will you inbox me your info?
  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Chris B. congrats on your good investing strategy. May I ask how you are funding these deals? I’m a newbie and I’m trying to find more funding routes. Thanks!

  • Roshan K.Pro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 215 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Isaac Boateng:

    @Chris B. congrats on your good investing strategy. May I ask how you are funding these deals? I’m a newbie and I’m trying to find more funding routes. Thanks!

    He said he used a HELOC

  • Roshan K.Pro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 215 votes
    7y

    @Chris B. I think your numbers look good! Sounds like you are doing something repeatable, and profitable! Just keep on going!

    As some others said, multifamily generally gives a better return, but comes with a different set of headaches.

    But I disagree with using appraisal value in calculations for equity as someone said earlier. Appraisal values don't mean crap. They come in low or high, but don't change what the market will bear for the house if sold. I would calculate all returns using the number you bought for and how much you put in. 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Roshan K. I appreciate you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.