I currently have an out of state rental (Florida) and currently have a 1 yr lease agreement with a tenant -
5 acre property - with a house and couple barns.
I found out a couple days ago he is renting out his fifth wheel on the property and we now have two family's living on the site.
Should I evict the tenant for breach of contract? Or if he pays on time should I leave things be? My dad said its a huge liability having another family living on the premises.
Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@Daniel Herres
I would approach the people living in the camper and tell them that they are going to have to start paying you the full rent directly...cut out your primary tenant...
Sounds like an income generator to me.
Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
7y
I wouldn't be happy with the tenant. But if you can make everything official and take a cut then you may have an additional source of income at your disposal.
Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
@Daniel
@Daniel Herres I'm guessing your tenant has had to tie the 5th wheel into the septic system and electrical. I'd send him a notice today via email and followup with certified mail to remove the un-permitted camper or be evicted. Next thing you know you'll have a RV park.
Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
@Daniel Herres
I would approach the people living in the camper and tell them that they are going to have to start paying you the full rent directly...cut out your primary tenant...
Sounds like an income generator to me.
Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 625 posts · 601 votes
7y
@Daniel Herres Love marks idea lol. I'd also call my insurance agent and let them know the score. They might not like the set up and may want to re write your policy.
Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2016 · 299 posts · 110 votes
7y
I would sent a certified letter to your tenant demanding he provide you with insurance to cover liability for his invitees as well as an addendum to your lease where he is responsible for any and all repairs. If you have barns, he is also probably running a boarding or training business and you will need coverage for that liability as well. You might also demand a certain percentage of the camper rental, but I wouldn't ask for the whole amount if your tenant is going to be responsible for any repairs or damage to the property. You also need to do an inspection - I had a couple of board horses on my farm and they destroyed my stalls (ate the boards and tore up fences).
Accountant · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2018 · 312 posts · 349 votes
7y
@Daniel Herres What does your lease say? I know mine has a specific "Use of Premises" clause in it that states no part of the property shall be sued for the purpose of carrying on any business, profession or trade of any kind, etc. Sub-renting is considered a business. Just to cover all the bases, my lease agreement also has a clause that prohibits sub-letting or granting use of the property to anyone not on the lease without my written permission.
Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Daniel,
I would definitely contact your Insurance Agent. If it is going to be a problem for the Insurance coverage or if it will cause the rates to jump you can blame it on the Insurance Company. Keeps you from being the bad guy if you have to tell them to get rid of the extra tenants.