Do you allow hot plates at your rentals?

Do you allow hot plates at your rentals?

Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Tenant had texted me couple days ago that when they use the microwave it trips the breaker, etc.  I went out there today and after pulling teeth (ironic because they are dentists) I was able to figure out that they were using a hot plate at the same time as the microwave on the same breaker. I told them that was what was tripping the breaker. 

I'm not so sure I want to allow a hot plate. These people really struggle with basic common sense. I googled it and it seems like hot plates are not that safe. I'm considering prohibiting their use of the hot plate.

0Reply
4 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Amy KendallBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lehi, UT · Member since 2016 · 397 posts · 318 votes
    7y

    @Jack B. Is there a working stove that is available for them in the unit?  If so, I wonder why they feel they need the hot plate.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Amy Kendall:

    @Jack B. Is there a working stove that is available for them in the unit?  If so, I wonder why they feel they need the hot plate.  

    Yes, there is. I don't know. They seem to think they are the smartest people on the planet because of their Dental degrees. Yet every time I go there for their complaints about issues, it's like Life 101 with them. Goes to show you some people can only do what they are taught, no independent thought.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    What’s wrong with the stove ?

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    7y

    I don't ban hot plates but I've never had that issue. I do include a 2 page Troubleshooting guide when I do a new lease. At the end it says that if they call and it is an easy fix listed on this sheet I can charge them a trip fee for it. It has cut down on frivolous calls and recently one tenant even texted me asking for further troubleshooting ideas and it saved me a trip. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.