Would you allow a tenant to install a wireless pet fence?

Would you allow a tenant to install a wireless pet fence?

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes

Our new tenants (a newlywed couple) moved in yesterday with their two dogs - a German Shepherd (10 y.o) and a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix (5 y.o.).  The Animal Addendum they signed requires the dogs to be on a leash at all times when outside the house.  Today the tenants asked whether we would permit them to install a wireless fence that they got as a gift, and promised to allow dogs out only under supervision. Would you recommend we allow them to install this fence?  The new tenants used to live in apartments before, so their desire to let the dogs enjoy the yard is understandable. However, given one of the dogs is a German Shepherd, I do worry if the fence would give any protection should the dog get triggered and go after neighbor's kid?  

Our property does look like a good place for dogs - it's a single family house on 0.6 ac wooded lot. However, there is no fence, and while the lot is deep, it is not that wide and the neighbors are fairly close on either side. 

The lease requires our tenants to have a renter's policy with a $300k liability coverage, if that makes a difference. 

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

0Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

It depends. Does the tenant have insurance that will cover the German Shepherd getting loose and biting the neighbor kid? Do the tenants have strong landlord references that show they are responsible pet owners? Have they used a wireless fence before?

A wireless fence can be just as effective as a regular fence...and just as ineffective. Nothing is fool-proof so just think it through and make sure you're protected.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · south Alabama · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    I’d let them try it, however large breeds typically require a more powerful collar that is sold separately, and I’d let them know that. The bigger collars will vibrate as well as beep. I have one of those fences myself and it does work for my dogs. I’d be more concerned if the GS was younger, but at ten years old it’s probably already suffering from hip dysplasia and arthritis as most eventually will.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    It depends. Does the tenant have insurance that will cover the German Shepherd getting loose and biting the neighbor kid? Do the tenants have strong landlord references that show they are responsible pet owners? Have they used a wireless fence before?

    A wireless fence can be just as effective as a regular fence...and just as ineffective. Nothing is fool-proof so just think it through and make sure you're protected.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Thank you for the advice!

    @William W. - you are spot on - the German Shepherd does already suffer from arthritis and is notably limping. 

    @Nathan Gesner - I tried my hardest when screening them. What I am discovering is that when trying to check landlord references with PMs of apartment buildings, the answers are very generic and limited. In this specific case the generic responses were all positive. Overall, the tenants appear responsible, with high credit scores, good jobs, etc. I even stopped by at their previous place before approving them. Everything checked out. At the same time, these are young people with limited rental history, so I would be taking a chance.

    I am thinking I will permit this fence under a one-strike condition - a single complaint from neighbors about dogs trespassing will revoke this permission and they will have to go back to leashes. 

    Thanks again!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    @Ludmila M. I think that's a solid plan.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 129 votes
    7y
    Personally, I hate these fences. Many people in our neighborhood have them and as you walk by all you know is that a dog is charging toward you. Eventually, the unseen fence stops it, but the dog could very well charge through it. And the passers-by have no way of knowing there's a fence.
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ludmila M.:

    Our new tenants (a newlywed couple) moved in yesterday with their two dogs - a German Shepherd (10 y.o) and a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix (5 y.o.).  The Animal Addendum they signed requires the dogs to be on a leash at all times when outside the house.  Today the tenants asked whether we would permit them to install a wireless fence that they got as a gift, and promised to allow dogs out only under supervision. Would you recommend we allow them to install this fence?  The new tenants used to live in apartments before, so their desire to let the dogs enjoy the yard is understandable. However, given one of the dogs is a German Shepherd, I do worry if the fence would give any protection should the dog get triggered and go after neighbor's kid?  

    Our property does look like a good place for dogs - it's a single family house on 0.6 ac wooded lot. However, there is no fence, and while the lot is deep, it is not that wide and the neighbors are fairly close on either side. 

    The lease requires our tenants to have a renter's policy with a $300k liability coverage, if that makes a difference. 

    Your advice is greatly appreciated!

     Yes you should let them install the wireless dog fence. Two reasons to do this.

    1. They work really well. When I got my start in Real Estate I was working several day jobs for those 1st few years. One was at Invisible Fence. If the proper type of fencing is installed it will be no problem keeping a German Shepard in the yard. I recommend the tenant's install the boundary plus fencing. That fence will keep a bear in your yard if need be.
    2. The clause in your lease requiring the tenant's keep their dog on a leash anytime they go out in the yard is ridiculous. There is no feasible way for you to enforce something like that. You'll need to pick your battles in this business. Something like this isn't one of um. Have them install their fence & at the very least if your are sued at least you have that clause written in your lease. That's all it's really good for.
  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    7y

    The use of wireless pet fences are usually mixed. I had looked into them since I have 4 dogs and they are considerably cheaper than a regular wood or chain link fence, and the big con to them seemed to be that dogs are less likely to come back if they do go outside the fence for fear being shocked again. As @Mark H. stated though, it can be pretty scary for a passerby who doesn't realize there's a "fence" there to stop them. I'm a mailman and come across situations like this all the time and even at houses that I know have the wireless fence, it still scares me. lol

    Off topic a little...the Rhodesian Ridgeback is a really cool dog. 

  • Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    I appologise if I sound like a a+×hole on this. I mean that sincerely. However how people react is not something you can control. I don't believe in worrying about the fears of others. If that is a concern then have them put a sign in the front yard saying that there is a invisible fence. But to use that as a reason to not use one is not really a reason imho. I agree with the idea of using one and believe the 1 strike is another great idea. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Cheyenne, WY · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    I would allow it, but would want to help install it to make sure it is done right and to know where it is located.  I also think it makes a feature in the future for potential tenants.  These fences do require the owner to work with the dogs to train them though, you can't just slap a collar on the dog and turn them loose in the yard.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Szepessy:

    The use of wireless pet fences are usually mixed. I had looked into them since I have 4 dogs and they are considerably cheaper than a regular wood or chain link fence, and the big con to them seemed to be that dogs are less likely to come back if they do go outside the fence for fear being shocked again. As @Mark H. stated though, it can be pretty scary for a passerby who doesn't realize there's a "fence" there to stop them. I'm a mailman and come across situations like this all the time and even at houses that I know have the wireless fence, it still scares me. lol

    Off topic a little...the Rhodesian Ridgeback is a really cool dog. 

     The boundary plus fencing actually eliminated both the limited signal field and the shock on the way into the yard.

    P.S.

    Dude who trained me on the fencing had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Both did well on the fencing even though they were some big ole' dogs.

  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Chris Szepessy:

    The use of wireless pet fences are usually mixed. I had looked into them since I have 4 dogs and they are considerably cheaper than a regular wood or chain link fence, and the big con to them seemed to be that dogs are less likely to come back if they do go outside the fence for fear being shocked again. As @Mark H. stated though, it can be pretty scary for a passerby who doesn't realize there's a "fence" there to stop them. I'm a mailman and come across situations like this all the time and even at houses that I know have the wireless fence, it still scares me. lol

    Off topic a little...the Rhodesian Ridgeback is a really cool dog. 

     The boundary plus fencing actually eliminated both the limited signal field and the shock on the way into the yard.

    P.S.

    Dude who trained me on the fencing had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Both did well on the fencing even though they were some big ole' dogs.

    Thank you! Good to know. I'm starting to do a little more reading on invisible fences now that this post has me considering it again.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Szepessy:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:
    Originally posted by @Chris Szepessy:

    The use of wireless pet fences are usually mixed. I had looked into them since I have 4 dogs and they are considerably cheaper than a regular wood or chain link fence, and the big con to them seemed to be that dogs are less likely to come back if they do go outside the fence for fear being shocked again. As @Mark H. stated though, it can be pretty scary for a passerby who doesn't realize there's a "fence" there to stop them. I'm a mailman and come across situations like this all the time and even at houses that I know have the wireless fence, it still scares me. lol

    Off topic a little...the Rhodesian Ridgeback is a really cool dog. 

     The boundary plus fencing actually eliminated both the limited signal field and the shock on the way into the yard.

    P.S.

    Dude who trained me on the fencing had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Both did well on the fencing even though they were some big ole' dogs.

    Thank you! Good to know. I'm starting to do a little more reading on invisible fences now that this post has me considering it again.

     Yea it's a pretty awesome product.

    The old fencing would work as follows. Wire kicks of a single field in both directions of the wire. This resulted in an adjustable field usually around 10-12 ft wide. When a collar approached the field from either side it would zap the dog. Seeing as it's only 10-12 ft wide a large dog could run through it & take the zap in under 1 second then be free. The dog would need to take the zap to come back into the yard.

    The new boundary plus fencing that came out about 6 or 7 years ago knew what side of the wire the collar was on. It would only zap when the collar crossed the wire & would continue to zap until it came back inside the yard. This results in their being an unlimited signal field. This fence will contain a bear if need be.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Well, the tenants are actually asking about a 'wireless' fence, so I believe this is not what you are talking about, @James Wise. With a wireless fence, you set up a base that uses radio signal to create a certain radius (adjustable). An overall concept is the same, however - the dog gets zapped when it hits the boundary of the radius. This is the model they have: https://www.gundogsupply.com/pif-300.html

    In any case, I allowed the tenants to set it up under the condition that their dogs are not to be left out unsupervised, and as long as there are no complaints from neighbors. I also asked them to set the boundaries in a way that most of the radius is in the backyard rather then in the front of the house.  This should minimize the impact on by-passers that @Mark H. mentioned (i.e. dogs charging at people walking by). The tenants seem appreciative that we gave them this permission.

  • Specialist · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 557 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    I would allow it. I think that your one-strike condition is a good idea. Curious to see how this works out... you'll have to keep us posted! Best of luck! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.